Air Filters

Got questions? We got answers....
Matt-itude

Air Filters

Post by Matt-itude »

I was just cleaning my air filter today and found that the seams are coming apart. Is there a good fix, new factory filter, or aftermarket filter? I know people are going to ask so, I have been cleaning it in warm water and using the no toil kit as per instructions. I gently squeeze the water out and never wring it out. when I switched to no toil I did wash it in solvent once (I think that may have killed the glue) then washed that out with dish soap and water. just looking for suggestions.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Check rocky mountain, I bought a twin air and a uni filter. I think the uni last longerr than the twin air. (I'm pretty rough with mine cuz I use the washing machine to clean them :oops:)
As for fixing the seams, not worth it if you ask me, a new filter is about 20$...
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

Ok I was just at rocky mountain and they have preoiled no toil filters which look very similar to the stock filter for $11 and I only live a few minutes away. The people on variouse forums that have used them talk well of them. That might be the way I go.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

If you re-use the pre oil filters (I have some buddies that wash and re-oil 4-5 times), be aware they won't last as long...keep an eye on it :wink:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Interesting. I had heard the Uni filters come apart with the No-toil products. The KX-85 had a Twin Air that held up to countless cycles with both Maxxima oil and cleaner, and then the No-Toil stuff. My stock filters on the KDX and the YZ125 are doing fine with No Toil.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

Has anyone here had to rejet when they went to an aftermarket filter? the uni filter site says you will probably have to. I have never heard of someone having to.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

If your stock filter was in good shape, jetting shouldn't change much. But every bike is different.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Matt-itude wrote:Has anyone here had to rejet when they went to an aftermarket filter? the uni filter site says you will probably have to. I have never heard of someone having to.

The air flow change wouldn't be significant enough. Even the filter mfg's agree to this despite their claims of amazing horsepower gains due to airflow increases . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

Thanks for the responses!