Bike smokes too much (I know. sorry. )

Got questions? We got answers....
vinny

Bike smokes too much (I know. sorry. )

Post by vinny »

Maybe a few tips to look at? The bike is a '93 200. I has a brand new cylinder, wisco piston and rings and Kips with about 2 hours on it. The pipe is an older FMF gold that I have cleaned as best I can (not perfect). The FMF silencer has new packing. Under recomendation of Freddette it has a 45 pilot, 152 main, 1173 needle in the middle position, and the plug is a BR8ES. I have read some about the jetting but maybe a push in the right direction would help my confidence.

Thanks
Vinny
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

All of that looks pretty tight, what brand pre-mix are you using?
vinny

Post by vinny »

Golden Spectro. 42:1 . One bottle per 4 gallons. I swear this is the same combo I used back when I rode 10 years ago.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Try a 42/150
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I ride a lot of single track, mostly third gear, mid to upper throttle. When ever I get out to an open section and wind it up, she smokes a fair bit. I don't worry about it because it clears out in 30 seconds or so. I assume it is accumulation in the pipe and the increased temperatures are burning it out.
So, half an hour of getting it in the tights, 30 seconds of smoke, back into the tights, seems perfectly normal, if that is what you are experiencing.

By the way, Golden Spectro IS the best oil to use. Just ask around :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
vinny

Post by vinny »

I'm just trying to get back into riding after a 10 year break. I rode for about an hour a couple of days ago and it was slow to mid range I guess you could say. There was alot of smoke it seemed like through the entire ride, sometimes a little more than others. The bike seem to run pretty good although it seems it could use a little more low rpm grunt. I know about Golden Spectro because that is pretty much all I have ever used. I'm curious that maybe I haven't logged enough time on it yet to fully seat the rings. What are ya'lls thoughts?

Vinny
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

He was joking about the spectro. The modern full-synthetics are the best...However, you dont want ANY synthetic during break-in.

If you've ridden around a lot at mid throttle you may have already blown your chance for the best ring seal. Certainly do it a favor and go run the crap out of it for a while.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

...However, you dont want ANY synthetic during break-in.
???I'm not sure I understand??? Somebody cares to explain so even a caveman can understand? :oops:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I wasn't joking about the Golden Spectro at 42:1

I picked up a bike at our local motorcycle shop for next to nothing. The crank was shot and it was siezed.

Seems the previous owner forgot to put oil in his gas. Had he put the above oil in his gas the bike would still be running, therefore..... :lol:

I concur with the run the crap out of it for a bit. Find an empty dirt road and check out the high speed stability
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Parts will not break-in correctly w/ synthetic oil....Fact.

Golden Spectro is crap....My opinion :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Golden Spectro is crap....My opinion

GASP!!

Really sounds like the compression is a bit low if you don't think it's got the grunt it should. Run it like you stole it!

Maybe spend $45 to get the head milled by RBD?
Can't hurt it
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
vinny

Post by vinny »

Well I took it out for a short 45 minute ride a couple of days ago and ran the crap out of it. Seems to be smoking less and a little more grunt. Is it possible the choke may be partialy stuck? The first time I rode it I didn't use the choke to crank it the second time I did (and it smoked like hell). The third time I didn't and it ran better with less smoke. Its hard to run the crap out out of it where I live so I did the best I could in a lower gear.

Oh, yeah I have it geared stock I believe 13/47. This maybe too tall?

Vinny
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Air filter clean, with not too much oil? (Squeeze out all you can with two hands squishing the filter foam. Don't wring or twist, just roll up and squeeze HARD)
Air box lid off, or at least cut open to double the space where the snorkle was, or at the very least snorkle removed?

I think a partially stuck on choke would run really poorly and kill the plug.

I think the stock gearing is perfect, my opinion

Ride it some more, it sounds like it is getting better without you doing anything!
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
vinny

Post by vinny »

I use a spray air filter oil. I think its not too much but I will check. I noticed today that I am already getting spoo at the end of the silencer. something still isn't quite right but getting better.