Trading fork or shock springs from other models to the KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
Ondatrail

Trading fork or shock springs from other models to the KDX

Post by Ondatrail »

I want to get a 4.8 spring for my rear. 2001kdx showed me on Race Tech how that shock was on alot of different bikes. Thinking of you guys, I made a chart with the bikes with 43mm conventional forks and 44mm shocks plus thier rates. The only stupid thing is I never cared to ask if all these were compatible with the KDX! So is it the same thing if its the same millimeters? If so I'll post it, if not you guys can have a laugh at me. :kick:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Hunt EBAY!

There's tons of cheap springs on there!

and Hey aren't you the guy that ran into me today? My wrist is a little black/blue lol
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Hunt EBAY!

There's tons of cheap springs on there!

and Hey aren't you the guy that ran into me today? My wrist is a little black/blue lol
Thats why I made the chart.....
And a big bad RM250 rider can't cross a section of logs? :mrgreen:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

The rates may be comperable but spring length can very. I suppose you can cut them down if you have the tools to make it flush on top. I had someone do that for my KDX 250 from a pair of KX springs.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'So is it the same thing if its the same millimeters?'

No.

And...if you get a spring from RaceTech for the Kayaba shock on the KDX, it won't fit, either. The OEM Kaw spring is different diameters on the ends. There is an adapter you can use with a 'normal' spring, one that looks the same on both ends.

Use the series number of spring (fork) if you want to match what fits. If you find another bike/application that uses the same series number as your bike, it will fit...don't matter if it's a Husaberg or a Bultaco.

If 44mm is the measurement of the tube diameter...that has nothing to do with what's inside. If it's a 44mm KYB, that still doesn't mean the insides are the same.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 02:43 pm Sep 21 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Re: 'So is it the same thing if its the same millimeters?'

No.

And...if you get a spring from RaceTech for the Kayaba shock on the KDX, it won't fit, either. The OEM Kaw spring is different diameters on the ends. There is an adapter you can use with a 'normal' spring, one that looks the same on both ends.

Use the series number of spring if you want to match what fits. If you find another bike/application that uses the same series number as your bike, it will fit...don't matter if it's a Husaberg or a Bultaco.

If 44mm is the measurement of the tube diameter...that has nothing to do with what's inside. If it's a 44mm KYB, that still doesn't mean the insides are the same.
Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks CC I'll look on ebay based on that.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Note the edit...I know a spring series number will get you the right fork spring. I would suppose it's true of the shock spring, but do not know that from personal experience.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!