Bike choice??

Got questions? We got answers....
GhostRider

Bike choice??

Post by GhostRider »

Hello guys, I have just sold my kdx and am now looking at buying an rmz250, can anyone help me out with a few questions as I have tryed dirtrider but everyone ignores you.

Im looking at a 2004 rmz250 to get into motocross as it is a good price. I have heard there is problems with the 2004 but is the bike really that much of a grenade or is everyone talking crap.

Hopefully someone can help, I did try dirtrider but they are a load of sleeping :butthead: . :lol:
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

I am a green machine (when im hungry) :lol:
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

If you're not an experienced wrench, any used 4 stroke 250 could become a financial nightmare IMO. Just having to go through the top-end is expensive. I agree that a 2 stroke is a better 2nd hand bike, all other things being equal. But if you're set on a four stroker, the least problematic 4 stroke 250 is the YZ250F. If you can get one low time, you'd be in better shape IMO.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I can't remember the page address, but Eric Gorr and Rich Rohrich have a website where they identify their recommended upgrades to the various 4T engines, and the RMZ gets VERY poor marks from them. I'd leave that bike alone and look elsewhere. The YZ250F gets very good grades for reliability...
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Don't get the RMZ, please. My friend had an RMZ250F and spent more time working on it then riding it. Valves were constantly going out of adjustment, jetting was ridiculous, I forgot all the problems he had with it but he got rid of it quick. It was just a bear to keep running.

If you really wanted to race lites and don't feel like going with a 125 the YZ250F would be your best choice used. The KXFs have incredible power and great handling but I've read about lower end failure on them, although some of my friends haven't had any problems... I don't like the CRFs, they don't seem that powerful and the ergos never quite fit me.

If you plan on riding frequently then you might want to look at a 450F. In the long run you'll save money with one over a 250F. Maintenance is abit more lax and the valve train last longer due to it not reving nearly as high.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

It's a grenade. That never stopped poeple form buying 220's, but a rebuild on a 220 is WAY cheaper. go with the YZ250F, they've been around since '01.
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

I'm not set on a 4 stroke its only that this one Is at such a good price (in your currency $2600 when there usually selling for $3200).

YZ250f's seem to be a little more expensive and hard to get hold of.
What are the 05 rmz250's like.

Thanks for all your replies
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

oky doky thanks for your help
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

RMZ's are complete S H I T B O X E S !!!! dont buy a yellow piece of garbage!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
motorhed220 wrote:RMZ's are complete S H I T B O X E S !!!! dont buy a yellow piece of garbage!
Easy there on that yellow stuff :)

Thr RM-Z250 is a great machine, unfortunately the '04 and '05 models had a reputation for grenading pistions. If I remember correctly, those were the years they shared the same design as KAWI :mrgreen:

The '06 and newer RM-Z's are sweet bikes. There was a complete redesign then.

Again, if you HAVE to buy a used four-stroke that's older, make it a Yamaha.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
GhostRider wrote:I'm not set on a 4 stroke its only that this one Is at such a good price (in your currency $2600 when there usually selling for $3200).

YZ250f's seem to be a little more expensive and hard to get hold of.
What are the 05 rmz250's like.

Thanks for all your replies
That right there should tell you something. There is a reason it's $600 less.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

My kid races a YZ125, and it is about as reliable as an anvil. It's also much lighter than the 4 strokes, but does make less midrange, and about 2 hp less on top. He's really not losing races because of power though, it's because he's slow. If I was to recommend a bike to a new racer, I'd say get the YZ125 because of the reliability, light weight, and the fact that you can get the 2 strokes much cheaper than the 4s, because of the demand. Then, after you get some experience, you can decide if you need a different bike and what it ought to be.

One thing to keep in mind, AMA rules now let a 2 stroke be up to 144cc. From what I've read, this adds quite a bit of grunt to these light weight bikes and closes the gap a good bit on the thumping grenades. Also, If you go with the YZ125, get an '05 or newer so you get the aluminum frame and better forks. The motor is better too.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220