Best glue for gas tank?

Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Best glue for gas tank?

Post by KarlP »

I've got a crack in a tank for a '99 CR250.

The crack runs right under the petcock area and is ~1.5" long

It looks like it was caused by the PO having trouble with the petcock and trying to remove the petcock. When the nutsert spun in the tank, it cracked the tank.

I got both nutserts out by putting an 8 mm socket on my drill and spinning the nutserts and prying on the petcock untill they came out.

I plan to use a spare KDX petcock I have. I know it was a good one.

I'm not going to worry about future removal of this petcock and plan to glue it in place.

I do have a plastic welder and have done a fair bit of plastic welding in the past. I'm sure I can close up the crack, but I'll never get it back to stock configuration where nutserts are used to allow bolting of the petcock to the tank and an o-ring provides the seal.

I've got a glue sample on the tank right now, soaking in gas. It is an epoxy used for repair of fiberglass tubs and showers, etc.

Does anybody out there have experience with succesfully gluing these plastic tanks?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My experiance is that the bike's vibration will eventually cause any glue to fail. I'd get it welded by someone who professionally welds plastics. I had mine done by a ski technician who repairs the bases on skis. He pumped a little nitrogen tube into the tank to displace any air so as to reduce any explosive hazard from fumes.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Ahh well...
I welded up the crack, no problem.

Epoxied the nut serts back in the holes they came out of let that set up.

Bolted the KDX petcock to the CR tank with more expoxy between the tank and petcock. Nice clean job, looked good.

As expected, it started to leak after 96 hours. Just weeping out all around the petcock.

I got to ride the CR/KDX Saturday and Sunday and Monday after work. Just short rips around the back 40. Lots of chassis and controls tuning to do.

New tank is $ 213.00 from Monkeybutt
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

I just used this on the filler stem on my tank: http://www.eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm

idk if it will help in your situation but it was under $5 at the local hardware store so i think it could be worth a shot
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Check eBay for a used tank.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Check out this inside the tank sealer stuff. It worked good on my old metal Honda tank. Sealed the leaks and stops rust too!

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Gas-Tan ... r-C38.aspx

Waz
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Or check Clark and IMS for a new, bigger tank for less than the stocker.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220