Survey

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Survey

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I feel I must ask the "pros".....

I really, really, really enjoy the TTR 125...comfortability, size, weight....for someone my size and being a female. BUT! (And that IS a BIG BUT) I really prefer to be a part of the "green team." I love the hubby's 200 but it is just to heavy and high for me.

So...what are your suggestions as far as the Kaw goes?

Remember: Age-wise, no, I am no spring chicken but I certainly am no chicken either! Ain't that right, Vince?

Thanx!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd take a look at a KX100 modded for trail duty or a pair of lowering links on the 200 and travel limiters in the forks might make enough of a difference to make it ridable.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I think you'd love The KX100. It's an absolute blast. Of course, it needs work to be trail worth, but if you're small, say 5'5" ish, you'd be able to handle it perfectly. It is similar size to your TT-R, but has wild potential because of the suspension. It IS really high-strung though.

Oh, and it's thirty pounds lighter than you're TT-R125 :supz:
JMETTEER

Post by JMETTEER »

Another vote for a KX100 with a flywheel weight.

My wife's first bike was a lowered 90 KDX200, it was too big and had too much power. Fine on flat ground but anything technical was too much. Next came a xr200, it was too heavy, had crappy brakes and suspension.

The kx100 is perfect size. The power was a bit intimidating at first, she has gotten used to it and has ridden it in some pretty technical areas. She just doesn't quite have the passion for riding that I do. :cry:

Going down hills are her worst fears
her first crash

Later,
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's exactly what WE told her! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Just seeing if anyone had ANY DIFFERENT IDEAS, Vince.

After what Mike told me last night about the zippiness of the 100, and since these guys have confirmed the ALREADY SPOKEN, I think it would be perfect for me.

Now I just have to find one!

No 200 with lowering blocks.

Thanks all!

P.S. KDX2001- I have the addiction but no IMMEDIATE place to ride without the possibility of the law steppin' in.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've got my wife on a KX100
She likes it a lot, but also doesn't share my level of passion. She might ride a bit once a month, I'll ride 5-8 hours a week.
Ours is stock motor wise. Rejetted for trail use.
The nice thing about the KX100 is the suspension. The TTR is O.K. for what it is. It is nothing like the KX.
She's 5'1" and 105 lb.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

And just think if you outgrow the motor on the KX100 it will just be sitting there begging to be swapped with a KDX 200 power plant... :lol:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

A KX100 with a KDX motor.....
That would be a kick!! I could flat-foot it through any really tough spots, or even just pick it up and set 'er back down on the other side, like a deep water crossing for example.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

For those of you with wives who aren't too into it, give me the bike and trust me! I will be on that thing every darn day! Even if it is just in my back yard!!!! Bring on the law!!!
:supz: :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

While riding above your head (terrain and/or bike) isn't a wise choice, consider the growth effect as growing INTO something.

The 200 is too tall? What...you can't reach the footpegs when you sit on it? Can't reach the rear brake pedal or shifter?

For starters, a bike that is 'too tall' will lend itself to NOT developing the very bad habit of 'dabbing'..dropping your foot/feet when you shouldn't.

Fact is, your feet should stay on the pegs unless you have your leg out for the sake of balance. Dabbing leads to blowed out knees, broken feet/ankles/legs.

The 200 is too heavy? Meaning..you cannot pick it up after a crash? First and best option in that case is not to crash.

I am not suggesting you DO ride over your head bike-wise. I AM suggesting that you CAN learn a lot on a bike that you may think at first is 'too much'.

The KDX200 isn't a YZ250, CR250 or CRF450R. Any of the last three would be, frankly, a fairly stupid choice off a TTR125.

I don't think the 200 should out of the running. Certainly the KX100 is WAY over the TTR performance/handling wise.

A bit of anecdotal worthlessness I've mentioned before: A local lady rides a KDX200 in HS type competition. At an event not too long ago, I was sweeping an event with a YZ250 rider. We'd stopped to better define a turn ribbon-wise when Lynn (the 200 rider) rode by with a 'WooHoo!' The YZ guy (back from a hiatus..but had ridden KX500s in the past. A perfectly capable rider) looked at me, said something along the line of, 'That ain't right! I'm going to chase her down.' Guess he didn't like being passed by a woman..even though he wasn't even competing in the event. Heck..I know now he wouldn't take kindly to being passed by anybody. He's a competitive sort..maybe saw it just as a chance to catch somebody. Anyway, I said, 'Good luck.'

I caught up to him a couple of miles later..just sitting. He said, 'That didn't work out too well.'

Lynn is not a big woman. Yes, her suspension has been adjusted to suit her..but the weight is the same.

Maybe you're another Lynn just waitin' to happen. :wink:

Ask m0rie what his sister rides..... :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I have to pick up the 200 when I lay it down. haven't wrecked one but also haven't stayed up on one a couple of times....kickstand....kickstand...kickstand! Anyway, yes, I can lift one with a little pull of the right muscle behind the ribs but I DO pick it up.

Yep, that is how i eventually want to be but also don't want to rush it either.

I keep my feet on the pegs...kickstand....kickstand....kickstand...oh, i mean, i keep my feet on the pegs when i am riding. found out that trees are not so prone to jumping in front of you when you do!

thanks for all the advice. i take all i can get.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

IMO it just seems lik you would be able to have more fun throwing around a KX100 than the KDX.

Has anyone here ridden a KX100? How could one NOT have fun on one of those things???
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I had a hodaka dirt squirt at 16 and rode it every where that I ride today. Same riding areas. If that little bike can be fun then a KX100 would be that times 10. Only one way to find out.

My 6'4" son, who was learning to ride a dirtbike at 22 years old, crashed my KDX so hard and so often the first 5 miles he put on it that he bent the frame and busted the kickstand. Now, my KDX was slightly modified but his weight and size was the equilizing factor. The truth is; you can ride anything if you have the time and patience to learn. But it sounds like a KX100 would be a good stepping stone for you to get into a KDX someday. You have to have confidence to ride and not crash.

Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I like how the bike is dirty as hell with a bent subframe and cracked fender yet it still has a silencer plug in it :lol:
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I think my confidence level would be MUCH HIGHER if I actually had somewhere to ride EVERY DAY! Unfortunately, I have to save a little here and there and go to south fork when the hubby is up to it. I am sooooo addicted to this sport that I want to call in sick just to practice. We are hoping to move to KY in about five years so hopefully, we will be able to find some land that allows me some leeway to enjoy what I am now officially addicted to. If we find some good land, I won't care if I do wreck the 200 a couple of times because I will be able to get back on and keep going AS MUCH AS I WANT without paying a daily freakin' fee to be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, I will definitely plan a "we bought a house with some awesome riding available" party and invite all y'all!!!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Hurry up! Move now! I need somewhere to ride.......... :supz:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

^ What part of Kentucky were you guys planning on moving to?

5 years!? That's WAY too long to wait, move now :grin:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Well, we have the research to do and we have a son that needs to graduate first so he has the option of staying or going. I have been to richmond...YEARS ago...and know I don't want to live there. We want to find some land so we can have some "group party rides." And, just so I can ride whenever the hell I feel like! I want to die on a kdx. (Not really but it sounds good, huh?)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Survey

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
myksluv wrote: someone my size and being a female. BUT! (And that IS a BIG BUT)
I 'member seeing some pics, sure dint look BIG to me! :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS