Is a kdx200 right for me?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX21

Is a kdx200 right for me?

Post by KDX21 »

I am about 5'8" and 138 lbs. and I was wondering if a kdx200 was right for me. I have 4 years of experience on an xr80 and xr200. It needs to handle 4 to 15 foot jumps without bottoming out like my xr200 did. I have never ridden a 2 stroke before so what is the "hit" like on the powerband for a beginner 2 stroke rider. Once I get comfortable, I can always buy mods for it to wake up the engine.

Thanks for your time! :grin:
Dirt biking isn't just a hobbie, it's a lifestyle.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

It sounds right for you. The suspension will have not only more travel than the XR200 did, but much better bottoming resistance. It WILL however, bottom on a 15 foor jump with stock suspension.

Coming form an XR200, you might have a twisted view on what bottoming actually is. On the XR, once you get any air at all, you're going to come down and slam hard, going through the travel and the bottoming out your legs, if you know what I mean. If you think of bottoming as the old 'clank' that the XR had (I've spent some time on an XR200) then yes, the KDX won't bottom on small jumps like that.

Be sure to snag a bike either 1989 on newer, for both design and parts availablilty. Have fun and good luck on the bike hunt.
KDX21

Post by KDX21 »

The 15 foot jump was a gravel pit and it was soft so it didn't bottom as hard but I see what you mean.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

It will be night and day :wink:
KDX21

Post by KDX21 »

Okay, now what about the "hit" on the powerband. I have never ridden a 2 stroke so could I handle it? :neutral:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Don't be nervous about a 2 stroke hit. On the KDX, the motor is very electric-like; smooth and not abrupt. If the bike you get does have a big hit, then it isn't adjusted right and a fix is very simple; just ask here!!

After an XR200, I've ridden one extensively BTW, you are going to have a grin as big as the outdoors riding a KDX and that is guaranteed. If you get one, ride it and don't like it, then heck.... I'll take it off your hands for you and won't charge you a single dime either!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

The KDX will eat the XR alive no problem in every catagry of discussion, and the motor/ 2stroke "HIT" is minial at best...This bike is a baby and a half...remeber, its a 2 stroke, but its not a strung out crazy reving MX 2 stroke either...its an easy ride so dont worry bout it...have fun!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
KDX21 wrote:The 15 foot jump was a gravel pit and it was soft so it didn't bottom as hard but I see what you mean.
Depends what kind of jump it is. I've done 40ft step-downs into cinders and hardpack, a 45ft table and a 60ft floater before. Those are all ft long but I have done a jump where it kicked me up about 15ft. It wasn't fun and it sure as hell bottomed out. I do have some suspension work done to mine though, not sure what other than Gold Valves so I can't compare to a stock set-up.

The KDX is an easy bike to ride. It's the most 4-stroke like bike I've ridden, power comes nice and smooth all the way through with not much of a hit. I think you would enjoy it, especially after coming off an XR200! :supz:
KDX21

Post by KDX21 »

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to get a KDX200 for my next bike.

Thanks for everything!! :supz: :mrgreen: