Street Riding

Got questions? We got answers....
hart125

Post by hart125 »

Ive had my kdx on the road for 120 mile days. 3500 miles on the road last year. Just make sure you jetting is rich enough on the bottom end, maybe up your needle and up the idle jet. Then go to the 14 tooth front sprocket and it will run all day just under the power valve opening at about 55 mph
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
hart125 wrote:Ive had my kdx on the road for 120 mile days. 3500 miles on the road last year. Just make sure you jetting is rich enough on the bottom end, maybe up your needle and up the idle jet. Then go to the 14 tooth front sprocket and it will run all day just under the power valve opening at about 55 mph
Anything happen after all this riding? :hmm:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
binkaz

Post by binkaz »

yea how bad is the wear and tear for daily road riding?
hart125

Post by hart125 »

I rebuilt the bike last winter. The rod was bad after I loaned the bike out. This year I have another 1500 miles after a new rod, crank and piston/cyl. The only real concern i have is that the rod is getting lubricated enough and thats why I try to keep the jetting real rich at the low throttle position. I have never had any piston cyl ring problems relating to highway miles. when I replaced the rod last year it had a lot of use so I don't know if its related to highway use or my friend not mixing gas correcly or just wore out.
I get pretty nervous coming down a 6% grade mountain pass and I'm carefull not to let the R's stay high cause I'm sure the rod isn't getting the lube it needs. So I pull in the clutch then.
I had a bet that after 3500 street miles that the rings would be shot but when I tore it down the rings were still in spec ,,so now I believe if you don't hold it with the power valve open and run it at maybe 50 to 55 mph it will do maybe 10k without a teardown. IMHO that is really ony 200 hours
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

I am going to Dual Sport my KDX as well. Won't be going 50 miles to the trail head but many of the Dual Sport events I ride have up to 5 mile connector roads. No problem that far on a knobby. My choice for a DS tire would be a Dunlop 606 - Noisy on the pavement but who cares.., a Cheng Shin C858 - cheap, DOT and hook up pretty well in the dirt. You might look at Kenda Trackmaster 760 II as a good, tough, DOT knobby. They are pretty good in the dirt for a DOT knobby. In Ohio, the law for MC tires has the only stipulation of tread depth. Full knobs, no prob. :mrgreen:
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
CNDN KDX

Post by CNDN KDX »

1995KDX200mcs,

dude I tried the link you posted procycle.com and came up with a bicycle shop, any better/newer contact info?? :shock: