[b]96 Lower end rebuilt[/b]

Got questions? We got answers....
rckfisher

[b]96 Lower end rebuilt[/b]

Post by rckfisher »

Here is my new dilemma... Cylinder is already 2mm overbore and when they ran a hone through it at the shop there were some concerns that it was not touching all the way around. I was told that it would work but that the rings would not seal perfectly.

Now that I have just had the lower end rebuilt I want my top end to be squared away also. I was given a price by the shop to have the cylinder redone by U.S. Chrome for $250 or a brand spanking new cylinder for $400. How bout some guidence here fellas.

Thanks, Jim
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

try ebay for a good used one if you feel like gambling. or call FRP Jeff Fredette's shop. He has the larges stock of KDX parts.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

GOod suggestions, could also have eric gorr 225 it.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I got a cylinder from FRP w/KIPS for $350.

How is it 'not touching'? If it was overbored...it was replated, correct? Why was it not replated correctly..meaning square? Or is the plating shot?

WHERE is it not touching the hone? If it's at the bottom of the cylinder, it don't matter..no ring gets there. If it's near a port, that won't matter much either...probably should be that way.

Not enough info to give much of a reasonable answer.......

Here's an answer, though. Don't send it to USChrome. Send it to Langcourt.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
rckfisher

Post by rckfisher »

I checked out Eric Gorr's website and he has links to U.S. Chrome for cylinder work. Anyone else here use Langcourt? I still gotta call FRP to see what they have lying around. Gore did have a big bore 240cc cylinder for a little over $400, but that would mean more work on my cylinder head=more$$.....but if I went that route would I still be able to use "pump gas?"

Jim
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

From what I've heard, you could set it up to run pump gas. How well would the pump gas run? That remains to be seen.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

That EG has a link to USC is too bad.

Use USC if you like. Their work for me was simply awful. I got an out of round cylinder from them..AND the plating itself was ridiculous. That was not just my opinion, but also the opinion of TWO machinist/mechs that get cylinders replated on a regular basis...NOT by USC. They both thought my cylinder was a mess..something that should NEVER have been sent back to me in the first place! One of 'em said, 'I wish I could spend so little time on something, put out such a lousy product..and get paid for it.'

I don't care if EG likes them or not. Maybe he gets a 2% poor product return from USC. My poor product return rate was 100%!

Re: 'but if I went that route would I still be able to use "pump gas?"

That's a crap shoot.

Part of the big bore process is telling the tuner what fuel you are going to use. There are plentiful riders that specified 'pump fuel'...and got back a detonating mess that required a more esoteric feed.

Yeah...I have personal experience with a situation of that type, too.

Consider the source

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Don't go the 240cc route. Too many problems have been reported in the past.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
rckfisher

Post by rckfisher »

Hey CC, I gotta talk to my nephew....I'm wondering if USC did his cylinder last time and that may be where the cylinder problems originated.

I'm beginning to eat a little crow here...I think I quoted that my "top end looked brand new"...looks can be deceiving!!! :roll:

Just happy I can afford these little "I can save her" projects.

I really appreciate all the input....Keep it coming!

BTW,,,,,CDR in Elkridge, Maryland is doing the engine work. Nice little shop. Pat Coleman is the owner/Lead Tech/machinist/etc...Easy going and upfront. I've been pleased with their services. In this state you don't find much of that anymore.

Thanks, Jim
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

225 here...240 there...

The size of this thing to start with is.....uh...what?

Please answer the other Qs?

Bored? Replated? Sleeved already?

..and maybe what SIZE the thing is in the first place? 200/220?

..or just point me to where that's already been made clear..

Thanks.

Oh...I have no problem with USC. They suck. ..and that's never to be my problem..again. I don't care what FRP and EG say, do or recommend.

Keep in mind that any 'overbore' is going to entail work on ports and exhaust valves....maybe. The ports make turns, the further you get TO the turn, the more important that turn be blended, radiused..lowered or raised.

Might be a good idea to consider replacing the (who know how badly screwed up cylinder) with a known issue. Fixing this one may well be good money after bad.

Another example of bigger not being better...and the classic (stupid) approach to hot-rodding something (BORE IT OUT!) has no basis in anything factual.

Well..unless said fact evolves from a beginning of, 'Lets F...this thing up!!'

Something to keep in mind: A cylinder that is overbored for WHATEVER reason MUST have matching headwork done. Add 2mm to the bore..keep the head the same...uh...the result doesn't need explanation, right? THE PARTS DON'T FIT! At the very least the static compression numbers just got yanked off the charts.

Consider the source

rckfisher

Post by rckfisher »

Hey CC, slow down there Forrest and read the first paragraph of this post :butthead: also check out my other post that you came across as arrogant, although somewhat helpful (New member with seized 96 kdx200) :lol:

Maybe it's just me......
Your Welcome
Jim
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The first paragraph of this post wrote: Here is my new dilemma... Cylinder is already 2mm overbore and when they ran a hone through it at the shop there were some concerns that it was not touching all the way around. I was told that it would work but that the rings would not seal perfectly.
Sorry. I see now the size, the sleeve, the replate. It's clearly stated. :hmm: How did I miss it!!??

Glad to be arrogant and somewhat helpful once again.

No..it's not just you.

Lot's of folks make absolutely NO connection between the words they write and the meaning they intend to convey. Likewise, when no understanding ensues..it's always someone else's problem.

You are likewise welcome.

...where's the unsubscribe button............... :neutral:

Consider the source

rckfisher

Post by rckfisher »

I mentioned Langcourt to Pat today and his opinion was totally opposite...If I don't get any good news back from FRP I'll be trying my luck with U.S. Chrome....Hope I don't get burned like CC did. I'll post when I get it back which may be awhile, their turnaround time sucks!!!

Jim
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
rckfisher wrote:Hope I don't get burned like CC did.
Really? I'm kinda hoping you do, myself :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rckfisher

Post by rckfisher »

Just a little follow up on my cylinder. I did talk with Pat at CDR and he has had bad plating work from Langcourt (plating flaking off cylinder). His problem with them was they would not honor any type of warranty claim. On the other hand, US Chrome did, on the few cylinders that had any problems. Now, you gotta understand that he does a lotta buissness with these companies and this is his personal experience with them.

I also spoke with Jeff Fredette, he did not have anything available for me to use. I also asked him about US Chrome and he stated that he does not use them anymore, instead he is using Millenium. He seemed surprised when I mentioned to him that US Chrome was one of the links at his website :shock:

On the other hand....you office girls around here need to get a little thicker skin and shake the sand outta your vaginas. In my line of work arrogance is what keeps us alive! So CC, I kinda enjoy it when your in the sand box :prayer:

Does anyone who goes by the name "Mr. Wibbens" even deserve a reply...I think Not! :butthead: :lol: Sounds like someone that was on Gilligans Island or Mr. Magoo's brother :shock: :mrgreen:

:partyman:
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Damn! :?
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM