First real ride

Got questions? We got answers....
Ondatrail

First real ride

Post by Ondatrail »

I rode my kdx 200 for real for the first time today. It gives me everything I ask for and more! The only problem I find is the suspension is too stiff for my 140 lbs. because the previous owner was around 200 lbs. I'm going to put lighter oil in the forks and set the sag alot lighter but i was wondering how much a shock recharge would be and if you think my 2001 would need it.
Also theres oil leaking from the bottom of the left fork. I saw an o-ring in a diagram of the forks that would make sense of why its leaking but my friend said he tried to take off the bottom "cap" but it turned and turned but didn't come off. Has this happened to anyone and do you have suggestions? Thanks
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

IMO...

Forget an oil change..unless you just like messing with stuff to see what happens. Change the fork springs....and change the oil at the same time. Chances of you being happy with just an oil change in the springs you have aren't good. Oil in an OEM KDX fork has more impact on rebound than compression action anyway.

Re: 'Set the sag a lot lighter.'

That is incorrect.

Set the sag to what it's supposed to be set to. Included in that 'what it's supposed to be' is steering quickness and stability (two different ends of sag)..NOT what your weight is. Get the correct spring for your weight.

You don't say what bike you have...and I didn't go looking for that info someplace else. The 'H' model has a 5.0kg/mm spring. Depending on whether you are 140 with/without gear..you're probably looking for a 4.6/4.8 spring. If the 140 is without gear..and you wear what you should..you're not that far off with the OEM shock spring.

Re: 'Oil out the bottom.'

There is an o-ring. If he couldn't get the base valve out, that shows he doesn't know what he's doing. The same 'doesn't know' part will have the base valve not put back IN right, either.

The base valve threads into the cartridge tube. You have to keep the tube from spinning, else you get exactly what he got. There are a number of options in that regard: 1. Get a cartridge holder tool or make one. It holds the cart from the spring side (the top) whilst you wrench out the base valve. 2. Put some pressure on the internals by compressing the spring. 3. An impact (air or 'lectric) will generally get the job done. If you don't know how to use one...find out before you wrench on the forks, else you will be buying some very expensive parts!!

...or doing a KX fork swap sooner than you might have otherwise... :wink:

Oh..the 'cap' you refer to has the 18mm allen socket in it, right? Indeed, that is the base valve. That is where the shims/piston/clicker and other compression valving components are.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

You've got .40 and 5.0 srping rates in there onda. I figure if you're 140 w/o gear, you're a little light for both ends. But if you're on a budget, you can get away with lighter oil in the forks (I had heavier 10W in there) and if you think it's still stiff stick the stock springs back in. I'd ride the thing a little more if I were you. Go have fun!

RE: 'he doesn't know what he's doing'

That is absolutely 100% true. I was clueless trying to get the base valve out. She kept spinning and spinning!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Hey, Onda - 'figured I'd call you that since many refer to Indawoods as "Inda" - anyway, there's some history behind those 0.40 kg/mm fork springs:

they were installed to replace the stockers (0.35 kg/mm) for reasons you mentioned, and I know this because . . . they came out of my OEM forks. But wait, there's more . . .

I got them 0.40s to replace the original springs in my OEM forks, for the same reason Mr. Suzuki did (so Ron is NOT really that clueless). So where'd I get 'em? From none other than THE Mr. Wibbens who so graciously parted with them, for my benefit and to my glee, for a price far below their value on the fair market (the same price that Ron got 'em for BTW) . . .

THEM SPRINGS 'BEEN ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY!!

Here's a link that suggests what springs would be good for your weight:

http://frpoffroad.com/kdxposed/suspensionTips.aspx

Stock springs may actually work out for you. See if Ron still has those stockers around and give 'em a whirl. Perhaps they'll work for you, or perhaps you'll want to move to the 0.38s . . .

but whatever the case, offer them 0.40s to one of the other circumferentially-challenged kdx gang members (ask Ron how much) and let's keep 'em movin!!

BTW, congrats on the bike, heckuva great choice you made
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Ondatrail
I have a set of OE fork springs out of my 2005 kdx200
that had about 300 miles on them before I swapped them
out.
If you want them 30.00 bucks shipped to your door.
PM if you are interested
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I gave him the stockers so he could play with 'em, he's kinda in-between the .35's and .40's.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Cool
sound like he needs a couple seals too
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:
Stock springs may actually work out for you. See if Ron still has those stockers around and give 'em a whirl. Perhaps they'll work for you, or perhaps you'll want to move to the 0.38s . . .
Yea Ron gave them to me I was thinking of trying lighter oil because he put auto-tranny oil in it and God knows what else in the forks but I would rather put the .38's in because I want this kdx to be the best bike it can be. Does anyone have .38's that would like to trade for my .40's?

Looking at that site Jeb it looks like that would be the best deal if i can't find a deal here.
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Remember I have the stock preload kawi spacer on there, cut some of that away and you'll have a plusher ride. And remember, the faster you ride, the better those springs will work for you.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Remember I have the stock preload kawi spacer on there, cut some of that away and you'll have a plusher ride. And remember, the faster you ride, the better those springs will work for you.
Stock preload spacer with higher rate spring (.40) is what I'm reading here. His advice to reduce preload is good: especially if the front springs have 30 mm of preload. If I were you I would determine the actual preload on the front fork springs and drop it to ~ 2mm of preload for starters prior to either changing or adjusting the height of the oil.

FWIW - I had installed .40 Honda fork springs in sam's 200's OEM forks with 8.5mm spacers which gave me a preload of about 5mm. It was ridable for me at 200 lbs but also very ridable for my boy at 140 lbs. My older boy's 200 got .40 Honda springs with 10mm spacers (about 7-8mm of preload) and he is riding and happy with it. i.e. About 220 lbs but he does bottom the front more than he should be IMO.

CC gave good info on what is necessary to remove the lower compression bolt from the forks.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry. I knew at the time I'd get bit by the comment. Kind'a had a feeling.

A feeling deep inside...Oh yeah!! (thass'a joke, son)

While I'm at it...
I have the stock preload kawi spacer on there..
Get rid of 'em. They were silly with the OEM springs...they are more'n silly with .40s. You don't need even close to that much preload. With the correct rate spring, no reason you need more'n 2-3mm.

Money spent revalving the shock is better spent than respringing it. That a completely baseless imo based on my experience with the effect of revalving my shock. Your mileage may vary. The rule of thumb is get sprung correctly first...granted...but considering your weight with gear (presumed) and as I already said, you're close with the 5.0.

Don't screw up sag to 'make do' with an incorrect spring rate. Oh yeah..said that already.........

Re: '..a couple of seals.'

I must'a missed something. Please don't confuse oil leaking out of the basevalve with seal leakage.

Back to some basics. With the oil leakage you have...you have NO clue what's in there, what's come out. Fix the leak (properly tighten the base valve, probably), reset the oil (change it..set to 110mm or your preferred choice), start from THERE. Making a decision on how the suspension works when it's all wrong in it's current form is an uninformed decision.

You gots some work to do!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!