Comparing the KDXs to the KTM 200 (and the GasGas EC300)

Got questions? We got answers....
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
art5 wrote:stay with the 03 and up, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, I don't miss hangin my boots on the sidepanels either lol.
That happens to you too?! :roll: I've crashed on more than 1 occasion because my boot got locked up between the shroud and footpeg. It even happened to me while I was jumping a 45ft table, pucker moment for sure...
art5

Post by art5 »

yea problem solved on 03, thank god, handling much improved also,
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Same here, always used to snag my boots under the rad shroud while standing.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

That is a very nice KDX/KX hybrid. I would love to ride one to compare to my KTM. I agree that a KX 250 modded for woods is not as nice as the KDX/KX hybrid for the tight woods. When you ride the tight stuff, the KDX's and KTM's are hard to beat. I've never ridden the GG, but hear great reports on them.

BTW you dont have to spend over $6000 to get a nice KTM200. I was patient and bought a 1998 KTM200exc for $1600. They haven't changed the 200 much over the years, and most guys like the older ones because
they have more low end. Mine had only been ridden 5 times by the previous owner (250 original miles)!! I added a 11oz FWW, a JD jet kit, adjusted the powervalve and now it is super-smooth for the really tight stuff and once you get on it, there is no comparison to the KDX. It turns much quicker than the KDX as well. I do miss the KDX for just putting around and sitting down though because it is more comfortable and has a less aggressive riding position than the KTM.
'
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I agree in saying that compared to the chug-friendly KDX transmission, the MX gearboxes are terrible in the tight stuff. They require much more clutch work. The upside there is there is a lot less shifting going on. I don't however miss the seat of the KDX, it's so soft and whenever I pilot the bike now, it feels like it swallows me.

It's also more difficult to get one's weight forward to weight the front wheel then a KTM or MX bike. and I've seen an RM with a 3.4 gallon IMS tank, still has a good seat-tank transition.

Wow. Now that I thought it through, a KDX motor inside an MX frame sounds like a hoot! :lol:
art5

Post by art5 »

As far as the chug factor I can lug where the 250 is clutchin hard, No power problems here, have no need for the mx snap love the feeling of the bike hookin up not spinning, the kdx 220 motor coupled with the procircuit pipe and the kx 250 shorty mx silencer, gives it more than enough snap, but adding the kdx 200 carb lengthened out the pull to a long spead of power, the kx isn.t going to out run me on top either, the wide ratio tranny does excellent all around, 1st is basically an idle gear ya never use, most conditions that are tight warrent third, We have tested the 07 ktm xc 200 back to back with the hybrid, the 200 is snappy, but not torqey compared to the 220, maybe more inline with the 200 kdx but I remember them having a good deal of torque also. We were on a fairly tight mx track and out of the corner in the double double section, I just could not make the ktm pull third without major difficulty to clear the 1st double, the kawi however slight clutch stab and she clears it, The ktm is a good turnin bike but by no means any better than the hybrid, the ktm felt cramped where as the kx chassis allows you more movement, suspension unfair test, Mine has twin chamber showas up front and a shock I spent alot of time with and installed race tech gold valves in the rear, the ktm at best is unbalanced feelin, however the kdx hybrid has a lot of attention to detail and alot of time spent to resolve most issues, the ktm was just reprung to the rider and the clickers adjusted, as well as multiple powervalve adjustments, I think the ktm is a very good machine out of the box but the hybrid when manufactured to fit is a whole nother step above, I wouldn't take two brand new ktm 200's for my one hybrid, but that just me, each has there own opinions and speacialty bikes arn't readily available to test, like comparing a works kawi to a stock one,
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

These videos show the area that I rode north of Houston. Very flat. Only bumps were the ocassional root. Very twisty. It tested turning, not suspension, for the most part except for a few whoop sections.

"The Tram Way" (Just for you Rick)

"Dusty Face" (Girard was kicking it up)

"Dancing With Trees"
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R