Comparing the KDXs to the KTM 200 (and the GasGas EC300)

Got questions? We got answers....
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I'm 145 lbs, the KDX has power but I wanted more. The 450 fills that niche nicely imo.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Although I was impressed with the low-end responsiveness of the KTM250 (even though it didn't like to be luggged quite as much as the KDX), and I like how it was able to get into the powerband faster, my main reason for getting a more modern bike is for the suspension improvements.

The KDX has enough power for me at 1,200 MSL. In fact, those KTMs I rode at 7,000 feet, I'd look into mellowing out some.

Suspension is King.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
tag220

Post by tag220 »

The 08 xc 250 has three power valve springs red,yellow,and green the red hits like sx bike yellow (factory installed)is mellow the green is very mellow we have not played with the springs yet but it is very easy to see difference in the number of coils and tension. Their is also 2 ignition settings have not played with this as well. I ride with another kdx-ktm guy he has 2 kdx's a exc 200 and xc 300 every ride he states the 300 is the easiest bike to ride and almost always ride it.
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

All right, All right I've been holding back on this thread. I have a 93 kdx200 and a 2000 300EXC I love them both but my main complaint when I first got the 300 was getting it to run and lug around as good as my kdx which of course has the RB Carb mod and I've yet to find a two stroke that runs as good. I'm getting close though I've done head modifications, carb needle & jetting changes and added a Vforce 3 to my 300. The main difference is of course the frame and suspension. Axle to axle the KTM is 4" longer and seem to turn a little slower but at speed it is much more sure footed. The suspension on both bikes have been resprung and revalved for me the KTM really shines in the woopde doos where the kdx makes me feel like I'm staring death in the eye if I don't keep the speed down. It feels more natural to sit down on the kdx while just the opposite is true on the KTM where the seat is just too damn hard to sit on anyway which sucks when you are tired. Power is not really a fair comparison as I'm a chunky guy at 245 so the 300 just rips up the steep trails without even trying where the KDX needs down shifting and keeping the revs up.
When I think back on it the kdx didn't run as well before I started changing pipes, jets, carb, springs suspension and so on.
In no way will I give up the Kdx since I've found that it is much better suited for riding with my wife and kids when they are on the quads and since I've got a new grandson I'll be keeping the KDX around to chase him around when he gets old enough, but when I want to go fast with the big boys and get my adrenaline pumping I break out the Orange probably the most exciting thing you'll have between your legs :supz: .
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

IMO, as a strictly woods machine, I would pick a KDX w/ RB carb and USD's. I have yet to ride one with those goodies.

Unless of course I had about 7K, then I'd get a BN 250XC KTM.
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:IMO, as a strictly woods machine, I would pick a KDX w/ RB carb and USD's. I have yet to ride one with those goodies.

Unless of course I had about 7K, then I'd get a BN 250XC KTM.
Soon my friend, soon
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

OK, I'm going to try and get this thread going again. I currently own a KTM200exc (my 2nd one), and before this current bike, I had a KDX200 with pipe and RBcarb mod. The KTM demands to be ridden fast! It shines when going 3rd and 4th gear wide open. It struggles when you putt around on the tight trails. I love the light weight (feel) of the KTM, but it does feel twitchy when going through slow technical sections. The KTM keeps you busy all of the time changing gears and braking. I have done every mod you can do to the KTM to give it more of a KDX feel to it, but it is not designed to do the slow trail stuff that the KDX is perfect at.

I am really considering going back to the KDX because I dont race, and I ride the tight stuff 90% of the time. I think the KTM has forced me to become a faster rider, but I am quickly approaching 40 and enjoy the slower trail pace that the KDX was made for. The KDX is much easier to ride in the slow tight stuff. I would love to get a KDX220 for the better low end grunt. I am also considering a WR250, but dont know if I want to go down the 4 stroke road, and I know I can get a nice KDX for a better price.
'
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

IMO one of the things not directly mentioned which makes KDX very forgiving in tight technical riding is the transmission gearing: Both the gear spacing and the very low first gear ratio. I never stall the KDX while I routinely stall the KTM even though the KTM is geared down and much more powerful.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That's why you can only fairly compare the KTM's w/ wide transmissions. Is the "EC" wide? I know the EXC, and new XC/W's are...Not sure of your gen.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:That's why you can only fairly compare the KTM's w/ wide transmissions. Is the "EC" wide? I know the EXC, and new XC/W's are...Not sure of your gen.
I agree but I need to clarify. (The EC in my profile is a 2006 GasGas 6 speed - not KTM) The 380 EXC is the KTM I was referencing as an unfair comparision, BUT the point was/is - even with more power and a very torqey engine the KDX 200 with its very low first gear wide ratio transmission allows you to keep some rpms at very low speed while the wide ratio transmissions on some other bikes are still geared higher causing you the necessity to slip the clutch much more frequently in the very tight technical climbs and trails.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
gem

Post by gem »

To the gentleman who called the KTM300 "an old mans bike" that is kind of like saying "Led Zepplin- he's awesome!" I have an 07 and it is great because you can lug it around, but some "old men" like myself love to jump from luggin' a crall to "ludicrous speed" in a flash and all you have to do w/ the 300 is twist the throttle
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Hey, wasn't Led the first to play the Les Paul upside-down? Man, he WAS awesome! Or was it Pink that did that?
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Nah, it was that Lynrd Skynrd dude. :rolleyes:
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I've ridden some KTMs: a 200 and a 250sx last summer, and a 300 xcw this past July. By far, the 300 was the more impressive bike. The fellow that owned it claimed he spent considerable time dialing things in with jetting, etc and it showed. I may be biased, though, because I'm used to riding a bike that has great power delivery throughout the RPM range.

For the first time since I bought my 220 I began to consider making a change. The 300 felt like the 220 + half as much more and all around. It really was easy to ride if you respected the throttle.

Before my surgery a few of us Ky KDX guys spent most of a day doing some woods riding and this was after the latest of my 220's mods (from RB pump-gas head to RB race-gas head). By the end of the day one thing was clear: the KDX is a keeper! While I need to plushen the front suspension a bit more, not once did she let me down. Quite capable in hill-climbing and enough power to raise/lighten the front end pretty much at will (I can remember actually being a bit surprised when opening the throttle and she lurched to life - that's the mods talkin'). Makes great turns even when they get tight. Easy to pitch and yaw . . .

and when I get tired, I sit my butt down in a very comfy seat and nurse the throttle and I'm totally comfortable.

The ride convinced me that I don't need another bike, I just need to work on being a better rider. And fine tune a few more things on the bike.

Which bike is better? I ride for pleasure, and for what I get out of riding the KDX is the winner, hands down!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Rode a buddies '05 WR250 yesterday, and I have to say it is a nice bike. Very nice suspension, better than my KTM I'd say, and I love the power characteristics. It comes on smooth, and it will loft the front wheel when you give it some throttle. It does weigh more than my KTM, but it seems easier to ride, especially when putting around with my kids.

Now, I dont know if I want a newer style 4 stroke because of the reliability issue, and the cost of replacing top end parts on a 4 stroke compared to a 2 stroke.
'
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Indeed.
JMETTEER

Post by JMETTEER »

>|<>QBB<
firffighter wrote:Rode a buddies '05 WR250 yesterday, and I have to say it is a nice bike. Very nice suspension, better than my KTM I'd say, and I love the power characteristics. It comes on smooth, and it will loft the front wheel when you give it some throttle. It does weigh more than my KTM, but it seems easier to ride, especially when putting around with my kids.

Now, I dont know if I want a newer style 4 stroke because of the reliability issue, and the cost of replacing top end parts on a 4 stroke compared to a 2 stroke.
I have a 03 WR250F and a friend has an 05, the newer suspension is worlds better than even the 03 stuff. I firmly believe the WR250F is the easiest bike in the world to ride, either year. It is so easy at times it is almost boring. I have been riding the KDX lately, it has an USD conversion and has more of a grin factor than the WR.

My WR has over 5k trouble free miles on it, I am waiting for the trouble to start. I bought the cheap KDX to save some miles on the WR. This winter when it is slick and nasty I will probably want to be on the WR again.

I have also spent some time on a KTM200, I was not impressed, great race bike but to me it was lacking a little as a trail bike.

Later,
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Elkster....Would be curious to see what your 300 is like RB'd.

WR would definitely be my 4-stroke of choice. Yamaha started this 4T BS, and their mills seem to get the most praise.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

KTM is fine, but now comes time for a Gas Gas Experience.

I'll be going on a little trip begining this Thursday. Phoenix to Florida by air. Florida back to Arizona by car. Along the way I'll stop off in Houston to visit my niece -- and to take up a kind offer of a test ride offered by some cool dudes over at the GasGas forum. The ride is Sunday. I'll report back a few days after that.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1498

The KTM 300 XC-W had been my #1 choice in this fantasy. But after having ridden more than a few KTMs, and finding them satisfactory, and after having read about some problems with them (go to KTM Talk), I look forward to see if the folklore surrounding the Gas Gas EC line (especially the 300) is true.

The advantages of the GG 300 over the Katoom are these:

1) Ohlins & Sachs & Marzocci vs PDS and WP.

2) Linked suspension makes it more likely to fit me as I adjust it.

3) Supple suspension out of the box. Often just clickers away from perfection. More planted feeling front and rear.

4) The Gasser turns faster, while being more stable than the KTM.

3) Six-speed tranny . The 5-speed tranny with the 1st to 2nd gear gap in the XC-W is something I'd like to avoid.

4) Sometimes challenging jetting in the KTM 300.

5) Cooling issues in the 300 (and some say in the '08 250s as well).

6) The GG motor delivers a mellower power down low while revving better than the KTM.

7) Last but not least: less engine vibration.

At least that's what they tell me on the Internets.

Rick
Last edited by AZRickD on 02:07 am Oct 02 2007, edited 1 time in total.
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ohhh.... I can't wait! :grin:

I want one....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "