Hydration packs and carrying gear

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

Hydration packs and carrying gear

Post by crazybrit »

Anyone got a favorite hydration pack for woods riding? I've got like 6 packs for hiking, backpacking and camping but there all too big.

Was thinking about something bike specific (either dirt bike or mountain bike). In addition to the bladder, maybe some room for a few trail bars and basic tools (tire irons, patch kit, compact pump). Maybe some basic safety gear, 1st aid kit etc.

On a related topic, anyone carry more gear. I usually carry a more extensive tool kit dual-sporting but it's heavy. Can't figure a good place to put it on the KDX unless someone makes a compact bag that could attach to the rear of the seat.

Other option is one of the fender bags, useful for a spare tube but wouldn't take my tools, maybe a slimmed down toolkit.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I use a 70 oz bladder in an MSR pack. Its got a couple of pockets I use for smokes and a dew rag. the pack is zip tied to my chest protector. I carry a few tools in a fanny pack, but not much. I'VE seldom needed any; some of my KTM riding buddies have. :grin:

I'd rather ride out with a flat than change it on the trail. Maybe for some that is not feasible, but it has been so far for me.

Years ago we used to go motorcycle camping. It was best to distribute as much weight as possible evenly forward and aft on the bike and around the waist on the person on the bike. Ever see a sissy bar on a dirtbike?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I use an Acerbis 20oz or so bottle on the back of my protector. I have rope wrapped around it for emergencies. I also have a fanny pack with most tools I need including a small pulley, a thermal sheet, aspirin and tums.
I've used them all. The rope and pulley have saved my arse more than once.

I use super heavy duty enduro tubes so a flat won't be an issue. They are heavy enough, even when flat, to hold the tire on the rim.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Whatever hydration unit you get..if the bladder stinks when you buy it, it's not likely going to hold water without making IT stink, too.

Some do, some don't. Stink I mean.

Some products advertise using a tablespoon of lemon juice and fill with water, let set for awhile to remove stink...AND the slimes.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

This is true about the sliminess.
'Course, I kind of like the taste of plastic in my drinking water when riding;lets me know where I'm at. I used to put a couple of drops of pre-mix in as well. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the bladder I'm using now came from a for real Safety Supply store and was not cheap, $40 I think. Very Heavy duty, over two years old and still doesn't leak or taste bad. All previous bladders wet my fanny.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

I've been look'n at this puppy. ThumperTalk will be doing a product test on the thing and I'm waiting to hear they're remarks before I get to excited about the thing. Sure looks good though. Chest Protector, hydrations system, backpack, tool roll all rolled up into one neat look'n package.

I wrote a note to TT requesting they test it with a heavy winter riding jacket (over & under) to see how that works out.

http://www.zacspeed.com/exotecsp3.shtml

.[/url]
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My three week old CamelBak bitevalve leaks air through the on/off switch. They're sending me a replacement valve.

The Exotec looks to be readily available! All sorts of places...like QLD, NSW, WA, SA...even VIC and TAS! :blink:

Consider the source

Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

I have a CamelBak Classic, great for bicycling and if you put it over your chest protector right okay for riding. The only problem I can see with it is the way it attaches to you. Anyone hear of one made to attach to a chest protector?
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

That's what that Aussie thing does...by the looks of it.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

6 packs and none will work?

Living up to your name fer sure!

Sound like a crazy f'n brit! :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: The Exotec looks to be readily available! All sorts of places...like QLD, NSW, WA, SA...even VIC and TAS! :blink:
It'll be available in late Aug through ThumperTalk or anyone who orders from TR.

I'm still trying to decide on either the Exotec or the Rooster performance jacket w/ built-in hydration system.
http://www.roosterperformance.com/RP-Jacket-gall.htm
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I've got an Ogio backpak with 70oz Hydrapak, works pretty well and has room for small things. About $60 if I remember right. And no funky smell!!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4646

Don't know if you can get thses at Costco anymore. Great pack thoght. Made by High Sierra.

Waz
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown