street legal for a week...but the vibration at speed

Got questions? We got answers....
1995KDX200mcs

street legal for a week...but the vibration at speed

Post by 1995KDX200mcs »

I've had my kdx 200 street legal for about a week and put about 150 miles on it on the back roads. I've had it up to 76 but above 55 or so the vibration thru the handlebars gets to me after a while. Most of my riding is between 45 and 55 but I'm wondering if those FASST handlebars would help here. Or maybe for less money better grips. I got new gloves today that helped some but I really love dual sporting this thing and I'd like to NOT be numb while riding. I think I'll soon get the new clark gas tank too in clear so I can see how much gas is left.

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

If it were me I'da left the KDX for the dirt and snagged a four-stroke for DS riding.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've never considered that anyone who went to the trouble of legaling a KDX would actually RIDE it very far on the street, but would use it for ACCESS to/between trails over short distances.

Such use doesn't change what kind of bike the KDX is..and it's not a dual-sport.

Consider..you could put a transfer case and front axle under a Crown Victoria..but that wouldn't really make it much of a four-wheeler, would it?

Or...a Subaru Forester is an all-wheel drive. If you think that makes IT a decent four-wheeler..I'd like to show you some mud!

Re: 'I'd like to NOT be numb while riding..'

I doubt that's going to happen. I'd bet your BEST bet would be to invest in a wheel balancer (about $120) and some wheel weights.

Well...considering your wheels to be true to start with.....

An aside...what silencer is on your bike?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

CC, I'm no rocket scientist by any means, but if you look at the big photo in the original post, you can see the stock silencer sticking out past the side panel.

You're complaining about vibration on a 2-stroke... seems to me you woulda seen this comin or somethin :rolleyes:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mr. Rocket Scientist by any means wrote:..you can see the stock silencer...
I have looked. That's what brought up the question. The silencer looks very 'round' (may be the bit of light reflecting off of it)..and the stock unit isn't round. The snout? I guess it's something stuck IN it that looks strange..but maybe it looks strange because it's not an OEM S/A.

...which is what brought up the question.

All 2-smokes vibrate? Why would you think so?

No, they don't. I've ridden 2-smokes on the street for a couple 'a hundred thousand miles. VERY smooth.....

Consider the source

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Haha, you're a laugh a minute.

Not ALL 2-smokes, but green ones that are 198cc and were made for off-road definitely DO vibrate.
1995KDX200mcs

Post by 1995KDX200mcs »

I wasn't asking you guys a difficult question. My bike has the stock silencer but I did put an extension on the tip to keep the spooge off the back of my bike and it does help. I do use it off road still. I ride off road everyday now unlike before where I would get sick of riding on the same ground. I get to ride my bike wherever I want without trailering it. I know its going to smoke and vibrate. All I asked was whether the FASST bars would help. I thought about spending the money I put into the bike in getting an XR 650 or suzuki 400 but...I could not take either of those bikes where I take my kdx offroad. I take all back roads from my house to my riding spots and it is beautiful and I can rip the whole way. It is a ton of fun. Thats why I decided to make it legal. I am trying to come up with the funds for a streetbike also for the long trips. My tipical ride is probably 20 or 30 miles now and uses half a tank of gas.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Except for I'm sure the fact that you're laughing AT instead of even close to with ('cuz I'm not laughing...)...

..glad to be of service! :wink:

Actually, my KDX is pretty smooth at 80mph+. Sounds like it's about ready to blow up...but it's pretty smooth.

Guess I wouldn't want to take it for a 100 mile spin up the freeway though.

Back to task..

Sorry. I don't know that the bars would work enough to be worth it or not. I still think that a well balanced set of tires would be the most effective in taming buzz.

Consider the source

1995KDX200mcs

Post by 1995KDX200mcs »

The tires are pretty smooth although I might have them balanced. I didn't think I'd run the roads as much as I have been. Is an aftermarket silencer gonna do much for me such as the pro circuit nature friendly. the pipe that is on it is pro circuit...was when I bought it...I would want to keep the brands matched...I think.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Sounds like you made the right choice legalizing it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I went the other way... I made mine completely illegal for road use... I wanted to make sure I couldn't use it on the road.... ever!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

What gearing are you running?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I don't know what speeds you run, but the DRZ400S I just sold vibrated pretty good with knobby tires/rim locks at over 50 MPH. Carvr is probably right on about balancing the tires; once I did that (with fishing sinkers cut in half - huge, by the way) the bike was much more tolerable at speed.
If you're running aluminum bars of any kind, I think you've done about all you can do for isolation there unless you want to add a bar snake.
My own take on the 200/220 is that they are pretty smooth engines compared to many other bikes I've owned. The vibration is likely a combined effect of more than one source, IMO - make sure your motor mount bolts are tight, if not, the engine vibration goes exponential. Check the triangular front mount aluminum brackets/bolts for wear and fix or replace bolts/gussets as necessary. The brackets tend to develop oblong holes.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
kdxdad

Re: street legal for a week...but the vibration at speed

Post by kdxdad »

I just got a plate for my son's '03 220 yesterday. Man, that thing is a blast to ride on the 2 tracks. It's so much lighter than my 525 EXC, but you're right, the vibration at higher speeds is a problem. I think I'm going to try the "cushy" handlebar grips first. I'm going to get the Clarke tank also.
________
C'?TAIT UN RENDEZ-VOUS
Last edited by kdxdad on 11:13 pm Feb 15 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Save the money on the bars & change the gearing
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
1995KDX200mcs

Post by 1995KDX200mcs »

I run stock gearing. Why would that change the fact that it vibrates at speed. The fastest I've had is is about 76. That was too fast but I like how it is geared throughout. I'll check motor mounts and all that. I'm going to balance the tires. I feel like the front shocks are set up good even though they are stock. They have racetech stickers on the forks and rear resivior so I'm not sure if they were rebuilt by the previous owner.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

A smaller rear or larger CS will give you more overall top speed, w/o having to scream the bike as much. So it will help with the MILK SHAKE VIBRATIONS
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Yeah buy a 14T counter sprocket and go play. Lower RPM's = Less vibration