pivot pegs?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

... Compared to the KDX pegs... they're great!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
crazybrit wrote:>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:I installed some '01 KX250 pegs on my KDX. Not by design but to my advantage (as I see it), the "fit" of these pegs works out such that the pegs sweep back a little and mount back a tad as well. The effect is that there's more room between the peg and the shift lever and it's worked out pretty well.

Probably the only one with pegs that look like this, goofy in a way but functional . . .
Jeb, do you have a side view? I ask as PivotPegz and PowerPegz are available for the 1997-2007 KX 125-250 but I'm not sure I like the swept back design enough to drop $130.00 for the pivot version of same.
Link to the digi shots: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/modules. ... _album.php

I picked these up for little of nothing on ebay to find out that I actually had the wrong year's KX pegs: others have installed '02 pegs with success, these are '01. But I took a shot at making them work and they have thus far . . .

but notice they are installed in a way not intended (just look at the pics and it'll be obvious). Notice how the KDX peg has one hinge yet the '01 KX peg has two? Well, the '02 KX250 peg has one hinge like the KDX peg. I think folks who have installed the '02 KX pegs made a minor modification (do a search, I think there's some pics of what they did). All this stated, you might give the makers of the Pivot Pegz a call and ask if the '02 KX250 Pivot Peg is different than other years' KX250 Pivot Pegs (they should be). Maybe they could email a picture to you for your evaluation: you might determine it's doable and that would work to THEIR advantage as well.

Just a thought.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:>|<>QBB<
crazybrit wrote:>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:I installed some '01 KX250 pegs on my KDX. Not by design but to my advantage (as I see it), the "fit" of these pegs works out such that the pegs sweep back a little and mount back a tad as well. The effect is that there's more room between the peg and the shift lever and it's worked out pretty well.

Probably the only one with pegs that look like this, goofy in a way but functional . . .
Jeb, do you have a side view? I ask as PivotPegz and PowerPegz are available for the 1997-2007 KX 125-250 but I'm not sure I like the swept back design enough to drop $130.00 for the pivot version of same.
Link to the digi shots: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/modules. ... _album.php

I picked these up for little of nothing on ebay to find out that I actually had the wrong year's KX pegs: others have installed '02 pegs with success, these are '01. But I took a shot at making them work and they have thus far . . .

but notice they are installed in a way not intended (just look at the pics and it'll be obvious). Notice how the KDX peg has one hinge yet the '01 KX peg has two? Well, the '02 KX250 peg has one hinge like the KDX peg. I think folks who have installed the '02 KX pegs made a minor modification (do a search, I think there's some pics of what they did). All this stated, you might give the makers of the Pivot Pegz a call and ask if the '02 KX250 Pivot Peg is different than other years' KX250 Pivot Pegs (they should be). Maybe they could email a picture to you for your evaluation: you might determine it's doable and that would work to THEIR advantage as well.

Just a thought.
Thanks Jeb.

Found the threads:

M0ries: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3505
Your's: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3733

The DRZ pegs M0rie has look interesting but of course he has an older E series bike and I have a 98. Noticed krazyinski's comments about RM 250 pegs. I couldn't tell if kdx2001's earlier comment was saying sell the KDX and get an RM250 or was related to the pegs fitting.

I guess if I'm paying $130 for pivoting pegs I'd prefer to perform the least amount of surgery on them, that way if I don't like them I can at least have a hope of eBaying them.

Since both PivotPegz and PowerPegz list "1997-2007 KX 125-250" I'm guessing both are unaware that the 02 year is different but I'll ask them.

Thanks again.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

RE: "I couldn't tell if kdx2001's earlier comment was saying sell the KDX and get an RM250 or was related to the pegs fitting."

I was just joking about that, I don't know anything about the peg fitment, and I'd advise against Jeb getting an RM250. :wink:
art5

Post by art5 »

I run pivot pegs on all my bikes including my kx hybrid, the 220 motor is tough to shift up as in it seems to engage much higher than any of my other bikes, you can use a kx125 shifter years 92 and 93 others have big shaft this bolts right on and works perfectly however the pivot pegs allow for ease of shifting and braking not to mention kickers, the bike rocks underneath you, You feel them for the first few minutes after that you never notice them again, you just notice the benefits they provide, Talk to marty at brapoffroad.com he can set you up, the second generation has been introduced, will be ordering them soon. if ya speak with Marty tell him Art sent ya, hes a great guy who always stands behind his products, he ships fast. :twisted:
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
art5 wrote:Talk to marty at brapoffroad.com he can set you up, the second generation has been introduced, will be ordering them soon. if ya speak with Marty tell him Art sent ya, hes a great guy who always stands behind his products, he ships
fast. :twisted:
I talked to BRAP, they are the US distributor. They said no fitment for KDX. they are trying to see if maybe something else may fit (contacting Pivot in Aus). Are you saying you run them on your KDX? If so, maybe you should talk to BRAP ;-)) I'm sure they'll pass the info onto me.
art5

Post by art5 »

in another post there is an article on a yzf swapover to a kdx, which brap probably offers the advantage of the kdx is it uses an external return spring so filing or grinding off a little on the peg should make it an easy swap over, they are worth the effort.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
art5 wrote:in another post there is an article on a yzf swapover to a kdx, which brap probably offers the advantage of the kdx is it uses an external return spring so filing or grinding off a little on the peg should make it an easy swap over, they are worth the effort.
Yeah, it's obvious if I want to do this, I'm going to have to get some other pegs and make them fit. At $30 off eBay, thats a ok thing. At $150.00 for the Pivoting ones, hacking on them makes me feel a little uneasy. Clearly some research on which would be the best fit is in order. Thanks!
art5

Post by art5 »

I pretty much have no problem redesigning a product to make it suit my needs, If there is somthin close Marty will tell ya, If you get a chance to see the pegs you will understand, the guy that posted in the forum on making the yzf pegs fit, did much more work than you would have to on the pivot pegz, one side of the pivot pegz is a sleeve, very easily cut down, installing somthing other than the pivoting style pegs defeats the purpose of the forum, If you want a peg that pivots, then installing a peg that does not really would not make sense, just a thought, The pegs are no more pricey than a new factory set of titaniums, actually much cheaper
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
art5 wrote: If there is somthin close Marty will tell ya,
That would be nice. No word so far.
The pegs are no more pricey than a new factory set of titaniums, actually much cheaper
Of course. I was saying I have no issue performing surgery on a set of eBay donors as thats like $35-40. I guess it's more to do with my faith in my surgery skills ;-)
art5

Post by art5 »

LOL, Not that large a surgery a small hand grinder would be quick and easy, You could do it easily, If you decide to do so, just remove a little at a time and keep dryfitting it, a little imagination built my hybrid, No hill for a climber. If you were closer and had beer would be there in a heartbeat to assist, lol, nothin more fun than the outside development of new kdx obstacles of improvement to conquer. :lol: