How do the pins come out?

Got questions? We got answers....
vinny

How do the pins come out?

Post by vinny »

Ok. Got the caliper in today. 91 KX125. Looks the same as the one off my 93' E-series. The two pins that hold the pads in. You know the ones that have the allen heads. Are they counter clock wise threads(I have'nt tried this yet)? You know reverse. I have tried as much pressure as I feel comfortable with but no go. They won't budge. Help me please!

Vinny
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

They can be tough to get loose. Try some lube and an impact driver to break the seize on the threads. Once out, I recommend replacement rather than reusing them. They tend to get a groove in them that cause the pads to hang up and wear out quickly.

Oh, they are standard thread; lefty loosey, righty tighty
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Do yourself a favour and take Jerrys advise. Get, lend, borrow, steal an impact driver or you will strip the heads out if they are seized. I did it and it wasn't easy to get them out as they are made from some ridiculously hard sh!t.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
vinny

Post by vinny »

Got them out! Ya' know, I do alot (see most) of my wenching, myself. I do pretty much everything but AC work and trans work. Now that isn't saying I'm a mechanic but I do the research and ask lots of questions. I have replaced the breaks on every car I have ever had with plain allen wrenches. This is the first time I have ever had to go out and buy allen head bits or sockets. They just wouldn't come out! But anyway thanks guys!

Vinny
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ski and Kaydee are right. You need new pins most likely.

1. The metal most allen wrenches are made from is junk. Even with a good allen head and a new wrench..things will still likely get damaged. Part of that is the tendency to not SEAT the wrech fully (part of that is the head isn't cleaned out), another part is forcing the wrench at an angle..that's easy to do because there isn't room enough to hold the pivot point as there is with an extension and ratchet.

Well..given that you are using an allen wrench, not a square drive allen socket.

Anyway..on to...

2. Likely the pins have a divot worn in them where the pads sit. At the very least you should clean the pins to sparkly. No corrosion, crud or junk left on them that will impede pad movement. You cannot reposition the pin, so you will end up with the divot in the same place it was before.

Get new pins. If you can, get some that have a hex HEAD..not a hex HOLE. Moose makes this style. I have not checked to see if they make them for the KDX.

Also at the very least...reassemble the pad pins with anti-seize on the threads. That will make them easier to get out next time.

Do youself a BIG favor...don't reassemble improperly (without anti-seize..don't use worn out pins. Pads won't slide on pins with big dents in 'em..they will wear out too quick..and won't give you as good a brake as you could have if it was done right.

Use the backing plates from the OEM brakes. If you don't HAVE those plates..consider getting a set of OEM pads. Next time you can transfer the plates to maybe a set of EBCs.

Happy Braking!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!