Getting rid of the KDX220 - possibly

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Getting rid of the KDX220 - possibly

Post by Mark W »

For those of you who remember me, I haven't posted in awhile. Reason is that my son and I have not been riding our dirtbikes this year at all. I can't seem to get him interested as there is always something that comes up and dirt biking takes a back seat. This saddens me as we have had some good times on the dirtbikes. With this said, I am considering selling both bikes as I don't need something that is not being used taking up garage space. I am trying to figure out what my bike be worth.

It is a 2002 KDX220 and it is in great shape. I wish I could say how many miles but I don't know. I had it for 4 years and rode it maybe 10-15 times/years at under 40 miles/trip. Last year I did some major modifications to the bike and they include:

New Wiseco piston and all the other stuff that goes with it.
RB carb
RB Head work
RB Air Screw
Desert Pipe
XR100 Springs (for a 210 lb rider)
Trail Tech computer
Front number plate (no lights)
MX Style rear fender
Modified air box

I think that is it. Bike is very clean and runs well and strong. AS I have used it only with my son, it has not been ridden that hard.

I still have all the old parts as well and they go with the bike. Any suggestions on what it might be worth or where I can find out.

Sons bike is a 2004 KX65 with a new muffler (spark arresting type). It has never been raced and is in great shape. It too has a trailtech computer.

Thoughts? Thanks guys

Mark W
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well Mark... that just sucks!

I would go riding by myself a couple of times to see if the boy comes around.... after that, I would proly think about selling it. Family is the most important thing there is.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rollerman

Post by rollerman »

thats happening with my 11 yr old also baseball and freinds rule so i dont push it .. i'm hoping he comes around soon
03 kdx 220 mine
05 pw 80 son
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

Count my son in there too, right there at 10 years old.
We used to fish tournaments together and Ride .

He still "comes alive" only its for paintball, go karting and lighting off fireworks.
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

A friend of mine just paid $2000 for a stock 05 200. Maybe trade the 65 for a play bike, I picked up a XR 80 just in case my kid did not want to race the 65.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I have four boys - started them riding about the age of 6 on camping trips. Kept them into bikes as long as they lived with us. It pays off IMO - read on.

Not a one of them developed a "passion for riding" until about the age of 12-13. They all seemed to ride for 2-3 years then girls, hanging out, and jobs seem to enter into the picture and riding takes a 3 or 4th place priority in their lifes. At times I too wondered why I kept suppling bikes for the boys - who did not ride them enough IMO: After all it was a life long passion of mine - it was in their genes. :rolleyes:

Fortunality my youngest is 15 and just got his learners permit so he will still be riding with the old man until this fall, or if I'm lucky into next year.

The good news is they don't necessary lose the passion completely - my 30 year old rides a KDX and redeveloped the passion in the mid-twenties - my 27 year old rides a Gas-Gas and has the passion. Right now it is only my 16 year old presently would rather play guitar/tennis or hangout verses riding.

Bottom line - if you enjoy riding and would like your boy to ride with you occasionally - or maybe after he leaves your household - it may be worth keeping a couple of bikes around for the occasional ride together. If neither or you are really interested in riding now - doing away with the bikes may be the best option.

Family is really what life is all about - nice to have some things in common after the boy has grown that the two of you can do together to stay connected in a father/son way. That can be any number of things - bikes, fishing, hunting, etc. - just make sure you have a one-on-one connection is my thought. :grin:

P.S. To answer your question about your bike's worth - In our area I would say about $1700 - 1900 range provided your bike appears real clean.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Thanks -

Post by Mark W »

Yeah, I only started riding because my son wanted to go dirt biking - it was never a passion of mine until we started riding then I enjoyed it quite a bit. What makes it so hard is that in this state (MN), the state where absolutely nothing is allowed, it is very difficult to go riding. Closest decent trail that is legal is 2.5 hours away.

The other thing is that my son is really out growing the KX65 and I'm not that interested in purchsing another bike if it too is going to sit in the garage. It isn't a money thing, it is taking up valuable room in the garage and with a daughter who is about to start driving and who will likely get her own car, I need that garage space. (lame excuse noted). As you can tell I am conflicted.

So, I would say somewhere under $2000 with the KDX and I have seen KX65's going for aroun $1500 - $1700.

Thanks again -

Mark