gear oil gray in color

Got questions? We got answers....
marpit

gear oil gray in color

Post by marpit »

just bought a '90 kdx 200 and love in so far..gear oil was gray in color so i changed it and after a 2 hour ride when i got home the oil is gray looking again..its not milky lookin like its getting coolant in it and i'm not losing any...any ideas ???

KDXs rock :supz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Flush it again... and again in needed. Use cheap 10-40 without friction modifiers in it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It may take a couple of flushes like that for the funk oil to completely be removed from the oil. The gray may mean metal in the oil too. Check for metal filings by placing a magnet in the oil, let set for a day or two, then pull out the magnet. If it's covered in a gray slurry, that's metal and not a good sign. It could also indicate hard clutch use. You may want to measure your clutch plate thickness to determine if excessive wear to the plate material has taken place.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If your riding anywhere wet the seal around the clutch lever is notorious for leaking. If its wet there i'll bet thats why you oil keeps getting funky.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

aluminum clutch plates?
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:..... Check for metal filings by placing a magnet in the oil, let set for a day or two, then pull out the magnet. ....
Skipro - Totally agree with your post - but why the day or two wait on the magnet in the oil? Would not the magnetic attracted particles be pick-up out of the oil by a magnet almost immediately when it passes through the used oil?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If the particles are floating around, it will take a while for them to slowly fall to the bottom of the container if they are really fine. (I use a mason jar) I just toss a magnet in the jar, let it sit a couple days, then hold the jar up to peer at the bottom.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

:blink:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The magnet attracts the iron particles but the particles are so fine, that they make the oil look gray. These super fine particles are having to overcome the resistance of traveling through a viscous oil as they are attracted to the magnet. That takes time. The magnet doesn't pull them though that thick oil very fast. That's why I let gravity help out if it can and wait a day or so as the particles fall out of the oil. The heavy ones anyway. The oil is still gray with particles, but you have a sample enough on the magnet to determine if you have an issue with iron wear going on in your motor.

Now stop giving me the stink eye! :blink:
Jerry

marpit

Post by marpit »

gonna check out the clutches and basket when i get time to tear it apart..
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My oil always turns gray on my kdx, in fact it always has within a couple rides

I change it maybe twice a year if I'm lucky, but I wasn't very lucky these last couple years, so that oil has been in there for awhile

Its a KDX for christs sakes, what the hell could go wrong?
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 09:53 pm Aug 02 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:The magnet attracts the iron particles but the particles are so fine, that they make the oil look gray. These super fine particles are having to overcome the resistance of traveling through a viscous oil as they are attracted to the magnet. That takes time. The magnet doesn't pull them though that thick oil very fast. That's why I let gravity help out if it can and wait a day or so as the particles fall out of the oil. The heavy ones anyway. The oil is still gray with particles, but you have a sample enough on the magnet to determine if you have an issue with iron wear going on in your motor.

Now stop giving me the stink eye! :blink:
Actually I was just indicating to you that I read your post on this thread and was indicating that I was thinking about that rational. I did not think of this as a "stink eye" but in the future I will!! (LOL)
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

LOL!

You always make me laugh, Charley!
Actually, I've thought of that emocion as if someone was saying, "I can't believe what I just thought I read."

Anyways, the opinion of a magnet and the gray oil is mine, whether anyone believes I'm nuts or a genius.
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Just don't start talking about your brown star!

All friggen FOUR of them ya freak!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:My oil always turns gray on my kdx, in fact it always has within a couple rides

I change it maybe twice a year if I'm lucky, but I wasn't very lucky these last couple years, so that oil has been in there for awhile
My clutch plates stick if I don't change the oil every 4 riding hours or so AND warm up the bike before I drain it.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:My oil always turns gray on my kdx, in fact it always has within a couple rides

My clutch plates stick if I don't change the oil every 4 riding hours or so AND warm up the bike before I drain it.
Sure would not ride with us then :wink:
Sometimes we don't get back to the truck for 10 hours or more
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Yea, I was think'n about buying the Clarke 14.4 gal tank, but I'm not tall enough to see over it on steep hillclimbs, and I would'nt want to run over a downed rider.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

we stash gas for longer hauls :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Here's where we are headed tomorrow

Grayback, +7,000'
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Beautiful stuff. Enjoy the life. :supz:
To this day, I still haven't found anything better than riding...