Coolant Loss

Got questions? We got answers....
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

It could be the head gasket but I only replaced that as of about 3 weeks ago when I had to re-time my powervalves due to a bad mechanic.
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

I am a green machine (when im hungry) :lol:
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

Got a new rad cap yesterday, 1.3 pressure and warmed the bike up and took it up the road. It appears that is now not loosing fluid but this weekends ride will tell. Im planning on doing my first clubday mx race so hopefully the bike will be happy and not pee its self. :wink:
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

Took the bike out and discovered that even after cleaning and flushing the radiators, bleeding the coolant system and changing to a 1.6 rad cap. the Bike is still losing fluid. Im pretty sure it is loosing out of the overflow, but it might be going into the gearbox as I have some white stuff forming the the viewing window. What else could cause this as I know that is is definitely leaking out of the overflow. Thanks again
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Better bring it to me... I'll fixd it in a day.... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Coolant in the trans oil enough to notice coolant missing is going to give you baby poop looking oil.

You are talking about the rads being low after a ride? Not fluid coming out of the rez? Or...you definitely do NOT have a rez? I read 'I don't think I do...'...never read if you actually do...or don't.

When I ran my bike with the rez off...I had to put water in the rads on a constant basis..which is why I put it back on. Now..I can be bubbling steaming hot..check the rads when cool....at the top. IMO..you need a rez.

What does your plug look like? If you're running that much coolant through the engine...the plug will show it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

Ill double check me plug but I did take it out before last ride and it looked light tan normal burn color, my oil looked fine when I took it out last but I have got a little bit of white stuff forming on the window when it is ridden.
I have definitely not got a rez the overflow runs straight down to below the bike.

I lost around 150mL of coolant in a 5min ride yesterday (riding hard so plenty of wind through rads).

More information that MAY be useful, problem has only aroused since this being done:
- cylinder sleeved
- head skimmed

When I stop the bike the overflow on the bike drips coolant so I am pretty sure I am loosing it from there, but that would mean I have an excess amount of pressure in my rads :?

Sorry I are not give you all this in the first place but thanks again for the help.
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

:sad: Wheres everyone gone
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So...you DO have a reservoir?
'.. the overflow on the bike'
..means the reservoir?...or the TUBE from the rad that on your bike goes...where?

If you don't have a rez...get one.

Re: cylinder sleeved

All sorts of room for error (leakage) there. Obviously, it has to be going somewhere. If you're down 150ml in five minutes, I don't think the plug would still be any shade of brown/tan if the cylinder is where it's going.

Sleeved why? To what diameter? Who did the work.

If to a larger than stock diameter..what exactly happened to the head? 'Skimmed' indicates it was resurfaced. If the cylinder bore is not OEM...that is not at all acceptable. Your compression ratio (and thus maybe your combustion pressures) are out of whack.

...and what head gasket was used?

Because a head gasket leaks does NOT necessarily mean it leaks water. It can leak pressure INTO the water jacket.

There's your overpressurized (and leaking) rads!

Considering that everything was fine before this work was done...consider that THAT is exactly what the problem is.

If you don't have a res to put on...put the tube from the rad into some sort of bottle. Tape it down someplace. Take another of those five minute rides and see what's in the bottle.
More information that MAY be useful..
..and likely the root of the problem.

Consider the source

GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

Ok, I think I will try that, thanks
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

one nuther thought... if your trans oil is discolored and you are losing coolant, ya jist mite have a bad seal on the water pump impeller. Is your tranny oil growing proportionally to the loss of your coolant? Maybe you have to pull over and drain your tranny occasionally and top up the rads... a sump pump might be useful here. you could devise something of a self-licking ice cream cone. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Let's not confuse the issue with facts, huh?

:wink:

Consider the source