Slightly bent front KX rotor

Got questions? We got answers....
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Slightly bent front KX rotor

Post by saddletramp »

Picked up a used front KX 125 wheel for a spare and the brake disc has a lil wow in it. I hate to replace it without trying to straighten it first, anyone have any suggestions?
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Bend it back into shape with a cresent wrench. Work your way around the rotor tweaking it a little at a time.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Rotors are hard to straighten... then when you crack it... it's no good... can throw ya too!

Be safe and just getcha a new one!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

You can straighten them but not likely to be 100%. I've used 4X4 to set the disc on then smacked the appropiate area with a 2-3 lb mallet. Check with a straight edge and add additional blows as necessary.

You can also clamp the disk in a vise (soft jaw or lined with wood) and smack it in the appropriate area check and repeat.

If yours is badly bent - more than very slightly bent - Indawoods has the best answer.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
steve baker

Post by steve baker »

yeah i think that you should probably take it to an engineeringplace or a sheet metal worker and they will have the answer for you. that way you know that if it does break then it wont be your fault. but on a serious note they have recently done one for me which was pretty bad and it came back like new, they even polished it for me. i couldnt tell if it had ever had a bend in it
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
steve baker wrote:yeah i think that you should probably take it to an engineeringplace or a sheet metal worker and they will have the answer for you. ......
I'm thinking that in the States 'engineering place' would be called a machine shop.

FWIW - Typical sheetmetal workers in the States don't work on anything thicker than about 12-14 guage material based upon my experiences. (Use to design ventilation systems for various processes)
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Tried to re-bend mine...No Go....I bought a MOOSE HD Front Rotor..If you can bend this type, your wheel & Forks will bend with it...The moose is made like the OEN Rear, but GOLD COLORED
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you do replace it, may I suggest using an over sized rotor? I found mine to really aid in 1 or 2 finger stopping power. (Along with a stainless steel brake line). they are easy to install and despite what others may say, they don't seem to get bent any more than regular rotors just because they are a little larger diameter.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!