Fork spring swap..make it easy on me.

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fork spring swap..make it easy on me.

Post by Colorado Mike »

I want to stiffen up the front of my '04 220 a bit. It has the stock springs (I think .35 Kg) in it now. I weigh about 185 with all my gear on, and I ride rough rocky stuff at low speeds, so I want to keep it pretty plush (old guy), but feel it's a little unsafely soft right now, if that makes sense. Is there a chart or any recommendations from folks that been down this road before on what rate of springs to get? I'm figuring the Honda XR 400 springs are the way to go, and was thinking around a .38 rate. Does this sound right? I did try the search BTW. Oh, and it seems I'm one of the few that still do not have KX forks on my bike. :oops:

Thanks for any advice,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It’s the 1996-99 0.38kg/mm XR400 springs that are interchangeable and commonly used in 1995 to 2005 KDX200/220s
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Glad you told me, I thought even the new XR's pretty much had the same length springs. You think the .38s would do what I want?

Thanks,
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If setup right... you will be happy with them. I went to KX forks because of an incident I had last summer that I don't want to have again. We change things based on experience... if it don't happen to you... don't worry about it... The stock KDX forks can be made to work quite well... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... .38 will be plush and give you more support that your looking for... You can play with the preload to get just the right feel you are looking for.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

In your gallery, you have some pictures of you going down and / or resting on some steep, rocky declines. One area in which stiffer springs will help is to keep the front end from compressing so much and making the bike "nose dive". This is one of the very first things I noticed right after changing from the stock .32 springs in my 1987 KDX200 to .43 springs. If I was going down hill, it didn't lean forward so much and when I hit a bump, I had more front suspension travel to soak up the bumps.

From reading others' posts around the internet, the .38's sound like a good choice. I have found that pretty much everyone does research, makes a best guesstimate as to the proper spring rate, then reports back that whatever rate they went with is MUCH better than stock.

You may want to check http://www.servicehonda.com for the springs. They were even cheaper than ronyers when I looked last fall.

Dno't worry about not having KX forks. Some stiffer springs is your first order of business. KX forks are on down the road, if you see fit. Also, I like to think that ALL KDX forks are "KX Inspired". :grin: For example, I have the 1988 KX125 / KX250 / KX500 service manual and the 1995 KDX200 service manual. From the pictures and service procedures, they seem to be VERY similar. They used to hand down the tehcnology more quickly, but they got caught in a time warp in 1995.

EDIT: How in the heck did four posts from 2 people slip in on me while I was typing? That does it, from now on, I will only post "y" or "n" replies. :grin:
Last edited by Anonymous on 05:17 pm Mar 11 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC might have a set for sale! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Cool, sorry to hear about your incident. I kinda like the stock fork design...the underhang helps bash rocks out of the way so my buds behind me have an easier time of it. I always try to do a little public service wherever I go.

Thanks.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Does this part # sound right: 51401-KCY-761 ? I got it from a parts look-up page, but it doesn't state the spring rate. It also quotes a price of $36.81, which I assume would be for one spring. They also show different PNs for 96-97, and 98-02 XRs, so that seems to conflict with the 96-99 idea.
Mike

'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

On the Race Tech site, it shows .38 for 1996 (first year they made it) through 1999. It shows 2000 - 2005 has .40.

WOW! Service Honda is as high as Bike Bandit on both springs ($50.33). Ron Ayers is only $41.52 for either one. The price went up since last fall! Word got out, and they jacked the price up!

Where did you see the $36.81 price? That sounds like what I saw last fall.

Thanks,
Jason
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

51401-KCY-761 are .40's
51401-KCY-671 are .38's

I ordered the *****-***-761's and they gave me the *****-***671's which turned out to be .38's.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

.38s would do.

Not all springs are the same, either. My XR .40s are a much nicer spring than the Eibach .40s I tried.

The oem preload on a KDX is close to 40mm. Ouch! I set mine to about 5mm. Small stuff comes and goes...don't feel a thing. Haven't ever bottomed them on anything.

Don't put them back together with the OEM preload. ..imo...

Kind of off-subject...but sometimes the front will feel too harsh because it's too soft! If you're undersprung you will take up too much suspension travel on <some bump>, maybe getting into higher suspension/parts velocities than you need to. A stiffer (read, 'Closer to right') spring will keep you more to the top of your suspension, reduce said suspension speed and actually give you the idea that things got softer when you hit that same <bump>.

...and I didn't even make that up!

No, I don't have any for sale, neither! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Actually, Eibach doesn't make .40's. Almost every single model springs they have are .37, .39, .41, etc.

Please DO try less than stock preload. You may want to pick up some 1" external PVC pipe and cut some new spacers. Since it is about $3 for 8', try different sizes to see what works best for you.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Thanks for all the good info, I think I'll go with the .38s . The site I quoted is servicehonda.com, specifically: http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.php?p ... ice=Submit

Thanks again, you guys are da most!
Mike

'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

AH HA! I was just seeing the list price. Thanks for pointing that out.

Good luck on the springs. If anyhing in the manual sounds wacky on changing the springs, just let us know.

Also, if you have not already done so, it would be a good time to change the fork oil.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Report back when you get em in .... we want a ride report. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Will do, but it could take a while. It's still snowy on my favorite trails and we're supposed to get another storm tomorrow. Over the off-season I got RB to do my carb and I put in the V-force 3 cage. I'm going crazy with wanting to ride so bad. I might have to get one of my buds to show me one of the lowland MX tracks or something. At least I can get a reference point on the jetting there. I owe Ron some feedback on how he set the carb up.

Thanks again for all the great info.
Mike

'04 KDX220
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

.42's would be good for you cm
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F