Can anyone identify this silencer/spark arrestor?

Got questions? We got answers....
JMETTEER

Can anyone identify this silencer/spark arrestor?

Post by JMETTEER »

I bought (stole :supz: ) this 98' 220 last week and am having trouble figuring out what silencer has. Mostly I want to know if it is a spark arrestor, it passes the stick test but it looks like the P.O. polished any markings off. The bottom of the skid plate was highly polished too... I'll fix that in a hurry. :mrgreen:

Any help will be appreciated.

Later,
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Looks like a Procircuit jobber to me.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

PC is the only outfit that made a bell snout like that.

It looks like a ProCircuit to m0rie 'cuz that's what it is!!

I does indeed look polished..and there IS (was anyway) both a riveted MFG plate on the wheelside of the cannister AND your classic 'USDA Approved' engraved notice on it, too.

In any case...if it passes the colonoscopy test, it's good.

You can LOOK into the PC and see the vanes of the spark arrestor as I recall.

In any case, if it hasn't been modified, it is indeed a spark arrestor.

It needs to be repacked anyway...when you take the core out, you will be able to see the arrestor in there.

Did the bike come from a KDXRider forum type? What kind (make, model, year) of front end is on it?

Looks to be in good shape for a '98!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
JMETTEER

Post by JMETTEER »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:PC is the only outfit that made a bell snout like that.

It looks like a ProCircuit to m0rie 'cuz that's what it is!!

I does indeed look polished..and there IS (was anyway) both a riveted MFG plate on the wheelside of the cannister AND your classic 'USDA Approved' engraved notice on it, too.

In any case...if it passes the colonoscopy test, it's good.

You can LOOK into the PC and see the vanes of the spark arrestor as I recall.

In any case, if it hasn't been modified, it is indeed a spark arrestor.

It needs to be repacked anyway...when you take the core out, you will be able to see the arrestor in there.

Did the bike come from a KDXRider forum type? What kind (make, model, year) of front end is on it?

Looks to be in good shape for a '98!
Thanks for the info, I was pretty sure it was a PC but it is quite a bit different then their new ones so I wanted confirmation. I have the packing sitting at home for a repack, will be doing that soon.

I am not sure if he posted on here or read the forums, his name is Steve and he lives in Woodland, WA. I picked it up off craigslist.

The front end is from a 91 KX125, they have been re-valved by the local suspension guy for an agressive 170lb rider. I put about 50 miles on it last weekend and it works well.

I am looking forward to testing it against my friends 03' 220 (Crashing_sux on the forum) with the stock front end this weekend. I got all the stock parts with it and may put the stock front end back on. Either that or re-lace the front wheel, most of the spokes on the KX wheel are either lose or bent. :shock:

It is in great shape and has some decent mod's, I had been looking for a good deal on a KDX for about a year. The deal came together way too easy and he had 30 phone calls the first day. I showed up just as he dropped it off at the local shop for people to look at it. He even dropped it of at my house for me, I was riding my street bike home from work at the time. It happened so fast I didn't even get approval from the wife. :twisted:

I ride an 03' WR250f and wanted the KDX as a backup/buddy bike to replace my old TT350. The KDX will give the WR a needed break, it has over 5k miles on it. :cool:

Later,
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Don't go back to the stock front end. Ebay a kx wheel if need be.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
JMETTEER

Post by JMETTEER »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:Don't go back to the stock front end. Ebay a kx wheel if need be.
I am really interested to feel the diffrence back to back. I had heard that the newer KDX forks were not far off from the early 90's inverted. I'm not sure where that puts the re-valved 91 KX forks. The lower legs on the KX forks seem tiny.

Compared to my WR the 91 forks feel OK, a little harsh on the small bumps but the faster I go in the rough stuff the better it feels. The WR just eats everything up, it is a Cadilac.

Later,