How do you do an Endo?

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

How do you do an Endo?

Post by motorhed220 »

How do you do a controlled Endo, or stoppie? I have mastered mostly, the wheele, an am working on it while standing on the seat...But what about doin an Endo? any advice on how to master this?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Grab a fist full of front brake... if you end up on the ground... you haven't mastered it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

:naughty: Kids......
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

That cant be all there is to it?
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Kids......
Hey, i wanna be a COOL rider eh! lol

Naw i was just wondering how to do some sweet tricks is all...I see others do it...so i wanna give er a shot!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Just messin with ya. Dont ask me. The last time I did one of those, I think I peed a little.... :oops:
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

hahahahahahahahaha....i hope it was an UNINTENTIONAL one? lol (the endo part not the peeing)
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Uh.....Both!
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Stoppies are easy. Well, easier than a wheelie in my opinion. First learn how on pavement. Dirt and/or gravel is too loose and hard to determine the break point of the front wheel locking up. That's why you see so many street bikes doing it these days.

Accelerate to about mid rpm in 3rd gear. Pull in the clutch, grab the front brake and pull medium hard while shifting your weight to the front. Feel the rear wheel lift slightly off the ground. Let up slightly on the front brake and the rear wheel drops back to the ground. Do this a few times, getting familiar how much brake to apply to get the rear wheel lofted earlier in the braking process and while you still have good speed going. Pretty soon, you will be at the balance point and able to loft the rear wheel fairly quickly and then lightly use the brake to keep the balance and centrifugal energy in the stoppie position. Note of caution; when your speed gets pretty slow, it's easy to rotate the bike on the steering stem, causing the bike to pivot on the stem and the rear of the bike to fall to the left or right. If you do this correctly, you can do a stoppie, slow way down, pivot the bike's frame to the left and drop it down, making a turn in the process. Then accelerate again in the opposite direction you came from and do it again!!

Doing stoppies on pavement is extremely hard on the front tire. After a dozen or so, you will notice that the knobs start to tear off just like a rear tire would under hard acceleration. I guess the same principal is happening to the tire whether it's hard braking or hard acceleration.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

ski got it pretty covered.

as far as an endo, (separate from a stoppie) you just grab as much front break as you can as high as a speed as you dare.

going over the bars, you have succeded. :mrgreen:

(in case you havent noticed, endos are when you go all the way over... stoppies are when you stop in style :supz: )
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I was going to point out the differences between a stoppie and a endo but thought it had been stated already, I guess not!

I found a good place to practice stoppies is in grass. Doesn't eat up the tires and won't tear you apart nearly as much if you do endo on asphalt. :wink:
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

buy Shane Watts Dirt Wize video.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Ever hear the saying "Elbows Up, Rubber Down"

Stoppies,,I see how that will help getting over Rocks, Logs & Hills

Hope ya got good insurance
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I think Stoppies look cool but at my age I would likely break my neck!!! Don't break yours!! :lol:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Ski 100% covered it. Start small and you won't get hurt.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

To tell the truth, I stumbled upon the method by accident. I was working on bleeding my front brake and not having much success. Then I went over to a stainless steel braided front brake line and after bleeding, I gave it a test ride. Whoa Nellie!!! Instant stoppie!! Obviously the SS brake line is much more sensitive to braking pressure as the line does not distort like a stock line does.

So maybe the ability to safely control the braking pressure to pull off a stoppie is to have a top notch brake line first. I do recommend a SS line to anyone out there. I can precisely control my braking pressure using just one or two fingers. That really helps with arm pump on long downhills as well.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

stoppie's are cool,but the point of doing them is to learn total control of the bike not for showing off. One should start with learning controlled front brake skids, mastering this will help accelerate learning stoppies. If you have a bicycle practice on it at home.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.