Costco "Camelback"

Got questions? We got answers....
Wazowski

Costco "Camelback"

Post by Wazowski »

I posted this in product reviews even though it's not really a review. I wanted to get the info out to you all and figured more people check out this forum than the other.

Just an FYI...

I don't know if any of the Costco's across the US carries all the same things but I gotta tell ya, they recently put out a really nice "camelback" style sports pack with a 2 liter capacity for $19.99

I mean this thing is nice. Lots of pockets and really nice padding across the back. Waist support and sternum band all easily and fully adjustable on the fly.

Insulated bladder..even an iPod pocket and grommet for the headphones. Come's in Kawi green, Yami blue and generic black for those of you who can't decide.

I bought it now cuz they came out in July and I need it for the Mystery 250 in June of next year. Figured if I waited I wouldn't have it for the ride.

I'll let you know how it holds up this weekend at the Poker Ride at Brown's camp. In the mean time check out your local Costco..they now have an instant rebate of 5 bucks so this thing is now only 14.99!

Waz
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
GS

Post by GS »

Here comes a 'negative' comment...(sorry) :roll:

Bought a similar one last year from Costco....and all I can taste is plastic when I use it. The first mouthful is awful. I spit it out and then at least it doesn't make me gag.

Now, why can't they make 'em without that ? :shock:

Rest of it is fine!....and I'd gladly pay more for one without the extra 'flavoring'

Which begs the question...anybody know what type of rubber/plastic tubing would work, sans flavoring??
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Hmmm...sounds very possible. It does have a plastic bladder but it is advertised as having "no grunge, antibactirial action".

That's prolly what gives it the taste!

We'll see...Thanx for the tip.

Waz
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Yeah I picked up the Costco one, mostly as a spare. the bladder part of it is very similar to my Kelty one, so much so that I think it is the same. It has the Nalgene compatible filler mouth, which makes it hook up directly to my MSR ceramic filter pump. for $20, you can't go wrong, my Kelty cost $55. For riding though, I still use my 2 liter 1st generation camelback.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
Wazowski wrote: It does have a plastic bladder but it is advertised as having "no grunge, antibacterial action".

That's prolly what gives it the taste!

Waz
I think you are correct. My Camelbak Mule (eBay purchase for $20 NWT) has the same claim and it tastes different, but...I try to drink ONLY when I'm on high pucker-factor hills so that I am not thinking about the flavor of my liquid (which isn't bad IMO). :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I avoid all that by mixing Captain and Coke's in mine... The alcohol kills anything that my be in there.... at least the way I mix them.

You just need to change your mixture! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I avoid all that by mixing Captain and Coke's in mine...
Never mix cereal and soda :evil:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That would be Captain Morgan! :partyman:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

Would that explain the disposition of your ava-cat? :lol:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

ever tried those denture cleanser tabs? That's what I used to clean mine, leave a hint of minty taste :grin:
I actually got mine from walyworld for 20 bucks, has a 2 L bladder, enough pocket for cell phone, smokes, keys and a few tools; also has waist support and sternum band.
djfl4me

Post by djfl4me »

I actually spent the money for a Camelbak and i love it. Im pretty surprised at how cold the water stays as well during my rides, whether on the dirt bike or the mountain bike.
I went for a 3L water capacity and a 11.5L Cargo capacity...that way i have more then enough water to drink during the rides, room for my mini first aid kit (ya never know what'll happen when ur a rookie) and a few extra tools for survival in case I get lost or break down in the Canadian Wilderness.
Anyways...heres a pic of mine.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/y ... Mayhem.jpg

1992 Kawasaki KDX200
Bike
Gallery
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Inda likes 'em just like his Amsoil....50:1 :mrgreen: :partyman:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
GS

Post by GS »

After a few draws on that mixture, I'd quickly forget about the plastic I was ingesting too!

And, maybe ride a little too fearlessly? :rolleyes:
djfl4me

Post by djfl4me »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:After a few draws on that mixture, I'd quickly forget about the plastic I was ingesting too!

And, maybe ride a little too fearlessly? :rolleyes:
Thats when you start tryin to jump from the bridge onto granville island. :supz: :partyman:

1992 Kawasaki KDX200
Bike
Gallery
GS

Post by GS »

You're saying that would be a bit too much of a jump?

Damn, I was just about to change my front sprocket to a 40 toother, too.

Need all the speed I can muster :blink:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I can't find that hydration system on the Costco web site? Can anyone else?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

They have everything Kelty but the Sierra Hydration Pack for $14.99 is not on the website.

I could pick one up for you and ship it if your local Costco doesn't have one. Have you checked?

I tried out the reservoir...left water in it for several hours and noted no taste at all. A good thing I'm told. Still when you're thirsty taste doesn't matter as much!
GS

Post by GS »

Waz:
Good to know that your pack has no taste at all. Mine, which carries the 'HIGH SIERRA' label, may be a different type (it is, after all, 1.5 years old), cuz it is wickedly awful. So bad, that it sits unused. :cry:

Of course, its not the taste that's worrying, but the fine Chinese 'ingredients' that produce that taste.

It would be fair to assume you normally *DO* taste 'things'? Ha!

I'll ck to see if they carry an updated model up here, because the rest of this pack is so great in every way that I can think of.

Thanks for the update!

:partyman: :supz:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks Waz. I'll check Costco this weekend. I normally try to do all my shopping on-line if possible but I'll go to a store if I need to. I'm looking to get one as a gift for someone.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Me Me! Send it to me SKI! :lol:

Actually today is my birthday - my 16th birthday! Woohoo, I'll soon be on the streets with a learner's permit! Watch out! :twisted: