Output shaft seal leak

Got questions? We got answers....
StickyTeflon

Output shaft seal leak

Post by StickyTeflon »

Can the output shaft seal be replaced from the outside or does the case need to be split?? if so, how? I have the service manual and it really only shows the exploded view of parts, not assembly?

BTW i did search for "output shaft" and "seal leak". and got a bunch of stuff that was unrelated .

Thanks
Sean
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Are you talking about the countershaft/sprocket seal? If so it can be replaced from the outside. You'll need the seal, oring(s) and collar if its grooved.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
StickyTeflon

Post by StickyTeflon »

Yes the seal behind the front sprocket. how do i get it out to replace those parts you listed??

Edit:

Thanks but i found it. I discovered the online manual and it has instructions on how to remove and replace the seal.

It would be nice though if it had the part numbers listed..... :?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I replaced mine and it still leaks. GRRRR. I think it is because of the Renthal front sprocket.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Try using a thicker o-ring behind the collar Trev.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've used a number of Rethnal (sic, Inda) front sprockets. The only 'problem' with them is they fit much better than any other sprocket I've used and they wear much better, too. The JT (or somesuch) I just took off was WAY wonky...easy to see where the shaft had banged on the sprocket cogs.

I gotta go...have to get back to my noble quest.......... :neutral:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Make sure you use two o-rings behind the collar. I thought I had a bad seal got it replaced still leaked... added an o-ring and problem solved. :partyman:
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I have tried adding an o-ring with a larger cross section but couldn't get the sprocket clip to go on then. :rolleyes: Yep definately have 2.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
StickyTeflon

Post by StickyTeflon »

Well i finally got around to changing mine the other day. Every thing went well except for getting the old seal out. I had to invent a seal removal tool. I took a flat head screwdriver and cut a 2mm notch in it parallel to the bottom about 2-3mm from the end. I was then able to hook the seal without touching anything else and tug it out buy alternating sides. I used the old seal to tap the new seal in. BTW it only had 1 o-ring when i took it apart but i had also just recently put on new sprockets before it started leaking. I do believe the old sprocket had a larger cross section and pushed on the collar more so it didn't leak.

No leaks so far.:supz: ... Now its time to do the top end!!!!

Thanks for your help guys :partyman:
Sean