Single or 2 stage with gold valves?

Got questions? We got answers....
DMrides220

Single or 2 stage with gold valves?

Post by DMrides220 »

I have a 2001 220 and am going to install .40 springs and gold valves. The instructions say to try single stage first but I ride mostly rocks and roots so I would think 2 stage would be the way to go. Of course race tech is closed today and I would like to get this done and ride. Any help from some one that has experience with these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have a two stage GV setup on my KX forks. The literature that came with mine indicates that single stage setups are for Free-style or very aggressive MX riders, so I'm surprised they are telling you to go that route. Must be different for the conventional forks.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The race tech literature printed back in 01 calls for the two-stage for the kdx stock forks. I installed the two-stage in my previous KDX 220, and they worked well. ( I can't imagine an advantage a single stage stack would provide for the stock forks)
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Triple stage is where it's at :mrgreen:
DMrides220

Post by DMrides220 »

Thanks for the input. I think I will call Race Tech on monday just to see what they say. It does say in bold type to try the single stage first. A little patience now might keep me from having to take them apart again.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ask ski.

His gold valves worked excellently on both his green bikes. Now...I recall an MX-Tech guy tweaked them, so he may not know if they were single or double.. :hmm:
A little patience now might keep me from having to take them apart again.
Yep! ....but taking them out is only a couple minute process. Lay the bike on its side, at least to the point of having the forks elevated, then you can remove the basevalves, make the changes that need to be done...put 'em back in.

Depending on your spring setup, it may be of use to use a tie-down to cinch the forks together a bit. That will keep the cartridge from moving when you pneumo-zap the valves out.

The whole presto-chango will take you maybe ten minutes!

FWIW..Everything I do takes 'maybe ten minutes!'. :wink: My sense of time required for a 'thing' isn't always spot on, yanno?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
DMrides220

Post by DMrides220 »

Thanks for the presto-chango tip, It worked like a charm. I did call race tech and they recommended the 2 stage setup. Thanks for all the help.