Can't get this bolt out!

Got questions? We got answers....
Motodeficient

Can't get this bolt out!

Post by Motodeficient »

I am trying to tear down my rear suspension to do the bearings and bushings. I have gotten everything off except for this one bolt! It is stuck. I can move it with a ratchet but it just spins and doesn't come out. I cant get an angle on it
to tap it out with a hammer because the frame is there. Any ideas?

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Are you backing up the other end of the bolt with a wrench?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

hmmm I'm tryin to remember... but I can't. Try what morie said, I don't remember having that problem.
Motodeficient

Post by Motodeficient »

yep. i had the nut off the bolt just wouldn't come out...

anyway after I posted that it hit me.... i locked some vice grips on the other end and kept twisting and pulling until it came out :rolleyes:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Unload the suspension..well, unload that bolt. Nothing was putting pressure on it?

There being a bearing in that position...and bolts commonly sticking to collars when they haven't been maintained..it's not an uncommon occurrence. On reassy, maybe sure the bolt is clean. Sand off any corrosion..or buy a new bolt. Grease it well with waterproof grease just as you would an axle or swingarm pivot pin.

That bolt is a PITA anyway. It doesn't want to clear the frame in the first place, and I recall the chain and/or a roller is in the way. I usually don't take it all the way out because of that.

The bolt being stuck to that extent...what was the condition of the rest of the suspension components?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Motodeficient

Post by Motodeficient »

All of the bearings/ bushings are in pretty bad shape. I don't think its ever been torn down (bike is 10 years old).

Yeah I had to take the chain roller off