So what do I do with this thing now???

Got questions? We got answers....
Wazowski

So what do I do with this thing now???

Post by Wazowski »

When I first rode my KDX, which I had bought used, it wasn't two rides old and the odometer mount broke. A stress crack had formed and the vibration finally finished the break over time.

OK

So I ordered up a new one ($20 bucks!) and mounted my TrailTech back on it and...

...it's broken again! I haven't laid it down once since the last time I replaced it so I don't know what started the break but I'm not too keen on spending another 20 bucks. I could weld it but this seems like a recurring problem.

What are you guys doing to mount your TrailTech computers?

Any good ideas are welcome.

Bad ideas too...I'm a liberal kinda guy and think everyone should give their two cents worth...

NOT!
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

I'm not sure how the Trailtech mounts, but you might be able to do something similar to what I use for my Watchdog Enduro Computer, if you have a 7/8 handlebar with crossbar. I use 2 cushioned metal loop straps (http://www.mcmaster.com P/N 3177T12) around the crossbar bolted to a piece of 2" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum plate. The plate is long enough for the computer plus enough on either side to bolt the straps to it. The back side of the computer has 4 threaded holes, and these are used to mount it to the plate.

I don't know how well I explained that, but it works well for me, since it puts the computer up nice and high where I can see it at speed (or lack there of), and I have the straps mounted tight enough to hold it in one position, but it will still pivot on the crossbar if I wad it.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I welded my stock mount and re-painted it.
Welds are stronger than the material so I don't forsee that sucker ever breaking again.
Find a buddy who welds and buy him a 12-pack and you're all set. :supz:
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Trail Tech makes three computers for off road.
You don't say which one you have.
Why not purchase there dashboard ?
Looks like it even belongs !

http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_protect ... oards.html
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I obtained a small piece of flat (1/8" thick) aluminum sheet metal that was the width of my Scotts handlebar mount. I drilled holes for the handlebar mount screws to go through it, and I drilled lotsa holes in the middle of the plate for the TrailTech wires to go through. I also drilled holes for the TrailTech to mount to the plate.

It works well, but if I had it to do over again, I would just get the "dashboard" TrailTech sells.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
kelasaki wrote:I'm not sure how the Trailtech mounts, but you might be able to do something similar to what I use for my Watchdog Enduro Computer, if you have a 7/8 handlebar with crossbar. I use 2 cushioned metal loop straps (http://www.mcmaster.com P/N 3177T12) around the crossbar bolted to a piece of 2" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum plate. The plate is long enough for the computer plus enough on either side to bolt the straps to it. The back side of the computer has 4 threaded holes, and these are used to mount it to the plate.

I don't know how well I explained that, but it works well for me, since it puts the computer up nice and high where I can see it at speed (or lack there of), and I have the straps mounted tight enough to hold it in one position, but it will still pivot on the crossbar if I wad it.
You expalined it well enough that i can understand. It sounds like a good sturdy mount...Thanx!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
kdennan wrote:I welded my stock mount and re-painted it.
Welds are stronger than the material so I don't forsee that sucker ever breaking again.
Find a buddy who welds and buy him a 12-pack and you're all set. :supz:
I think I might try this...I wish I had thought about doing this before I dropped 20 bucks the first time!

Thanx!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
TWMOODY wrote:Trail Tech makes three computers for off road.
You don't say which one you have.
Why not purchase there dashboard ?
Looks like it even belongs !

http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_protect ... oards.html
A "C" note!!!

OUCH!!

Nice though...Thanx!
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
Wazowski wrote:>|<>QBB<

A "C" note!!!

OUCH!!

Nice though...Thanx!
One of my first bosses told me this regarding buying tools: I'd rather cry once than all the time. Meaning - he'd rather spend the money up front for a tool that will perform and last, than to buy 'an economy' model that either can't perform or has a short lifespan.

The sticker price for the dashboard hit me the same as it hit you, but I only want to cry once. If you bought the part designed for your computer, you might stop checking to see if it's cracking and that's one less drain in your life...for $50. Just my opinion :mrgreen:
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

The only "Dashboard" I saw was for KTM models, and yes, a C-note (I'd cry more than once) seems a little out of whack for a mount, but they are pretty. They have some protectors that look like they mount to the handlebar clamps, but I've never liked using my handlebar clamp screws for other purposes. They also have a couple of (non protected) mounts that screw to the triple, but judging form the abuse things take rigidly mounted to the triples (read headlight shroud) I don't know how long they will last.

Amazingly enough, I still like my own idea the best ;)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No one wonders about the breaking of the thing in the first place?

I pretzled my odo mount more'n a few times. Never failed to straighten out and work just fine.

You do mean the black sheet metal piece the odo attaches to, right?

Just seems odd to me that I've smushed the pee-wah out of mine (over and over)..and it just bends back..and you've broken two of 'em.

:hmm:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:No one wonders about the breaking of the thing in the first place?

I pretzled my odo mount more'n a few times. Never failed to straighten out and work just fine.

Just seems odd to me that I've smushed the pee-wah out of mine (over and over)..and it just bends back..and you've broken two of 'em.

Maybe he was looking for extra style points on his crashes?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
Flying W wrote:>|<>QBB<
Wazowski wrote:>|<>QBB<

A "C" note!!!

OUCH!!

Nice though...Thanx!
One of my first bosses told me this regarding buying tools: I'd rather cry once than all the time. Meaning - he'd rather spend the money up front for a tool that will perform and last, than to buy 'an economy' model that either can't perform or has a short lifespan.

The sticker price for the dashboard hit me the same as it hit you, but I only want to cry once. If you bought the part designed for your computer, you might stop checking to see if it's cracking and that's one less drain in your life...for $50. Just my opinion :mrgreen:
Good point...well taken.

I feel the same way about tools...

I'll quit cryin' about it now!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:No one wonders about the breaking of the thing in the first place?

I wondered too. I bought the bike used. It lasted a few rides before it broke. A forensic exam had me convinced that it was cracked for a while (half the crack was rusted) and the other half was obviously fresh metal. I just assumed that it was an old break gone bad with vibration.

I installed a brand new part, haven't crashed (that I know of) bad enough to break it...like you said I would expect it to bend first and I've never straightened it...

so it's a mystery I guess.

I'm gonna give it another chance, weld it up, grind it down and repaint it. It is a good usable mount for the model TrailTech I have and works well till it breaks.

MXOldtimer described something he did to his but the picture links are bad so I can't see what he did. Something about mounting it in the foam on the handle bar brace. Maybe he'll repost them for me.

Thanx CC
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

A "C" note!!!

OUCH!!

Nice though...Thanx![/quote]

50.00 ? vs hours of screwing around trying to make something
that don't break and looks good too.

Everything on a bike costs atleast 80 bucks
Consider it a bargan !

:shock:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

BTW....Wibby and I are riding Prospect this week. Check that forum...HERE!

Other Orygun/CA riders have weenured out so far.

Come on down!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Speaking of crying once.
For now, I would weld the thing and fix it for good. sand it up to smooth the weld and paint it with some black spray paint.
Then, regarding the computer thing. I have a trail-tech (did until I hit a tree) and it was okay. $100 bucks.
If you are racing enduros or at least trying to keep time I would cry hard once and get a Watchdog. More money but really the best for the bucks. It actually can be programmed to tell you when to slow down, speed up etc. I don't have one but when the time comes I will go for it.
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
TWMOODY wrote:A "C" note!!!

OUCH!!

Nice though...Thanx!

50.00 ? vs hours of screwing around trying to make something
that don't break and looks good too.

Everything on a bike costs at least 80 bucks
Consider it a bargain !

:shock:
You're right...why spend another 20 when 30 more fixes it for good. One of you guys mentioned that they only made "dashbords" for the KTM. If you look at the "protectors" there are a number of good choices for about 50 bucks. Now that I might do if another repair effort fails.

Point well taken.

Waz
Last edited by Wazowski on 11:48 am Jul 05 2007, edited 1 time in total.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

MXOldtimer described something he did to his but the picture links are bad so I can't see what he did. Something about mounting it in the foam on the handle bar brace. Maybe he'll repost them for me.

Thanx CC
I don't leave my Pic's posted very long.

I mounted my TT to a thin piece on metal then zip-tied it to the cross bar. Then whittled out my pad on put it over the TT. Not the neatest job but it works.

You can kinda see what it looks like.

Since I have that picture up, can someone tell me what that little piece of metal is welded to the frame under the side # plate. I get asked ALL the time and I figure it's a weird guard for the pipe or to keep your boot from hook'n on the # plate. Anyone know for sure?

My KTM ride'n buddies just look for reasons to pick the lil KDX apart. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I take it as such a complement. :mrgreen:

Last edited by MXOldtimer on 11:56 am Jul 05 2007, edited 3 times in total.
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
kdennan wrote:Speaking of crying once.
For now, I would weld the thing and fix it for good. sand it up to smooth the weld and paint it with some black spray paint.
Then, regarding the computer thing. I have a trail-tech (did until I hit a tree) and it was okay. $100 bucks.
If you are racing enduros or at least trying to keep time I would cry hard once and get a Watchdog. More money but really the best for the bucks. It actually can be programmed to tell you when to slow down, speed up etc. I don't have one but when the time comes I will go for it.
While an Enduro sounds like fun and all I'm not really ready for prime time racing. Maybe after the Mystery 250 next year I might be inclined to ride something where I might actually need a computer that can be programmed. Right now it's just nice to know haw fast you ar going and how far you've gone.

I'll keep the Watchdog in mind, Thanx

Waz