Has Anyone Bought Gold Valves?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Has Anyone Bought Gold Valves?

Post by KDXGarage »

Has anyone bought Gold Valves for their bike? When I bought my '94 KDX200 used, the seller said he had Race Tech to install Gold Valves front and rear. This week, I disassembled my forks and shocks to find that I do indeed have Gold Valves front and rear. Unfortunately, the seller didn't give me any Gold Valve paperwork with them, so I don't know any of the suggested valving settings. Does anyone have the paperwork for these? I called the Race Tech service department and the guy said he would e-mail me some instructions, but never did. I have a micrometer and can measure my current shims. I assume that I could then determine what my current setting are as far as the paperwork goes. I know they have CL3 and other such terms.

They are the 2040 (front) and 4401 (rear) kits. They are the same kits as available for '95 and newer KDX's.

Thanks!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

Hi Jason,

I purchased gold valves from FRP, and Jeff put a stack together for me. Most people with GV's have a custom stack... I had my stack setup somewhat stiff due to my MXing adventures... I had my stack config written down somewhere, but I can't seem to find it as of late.
2001 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the reply. I took one of mine apart this morning. It is:

All 6mm ID

17 x .15
17 x .15
11 x .1
17 x .15
15 x .1
13 x .1
12 x .1
10 x .1
9 x .1

I am curious to see what their base recommendations are, as I currently have nothing to compare it to. Who has a scanner?! :supz:
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

Well, from my experience, RT's recommendations are no where close to what you would need for a plush woods ride. If I recall, they were geared towards stopping that big hit from bottoming. Heavy springs, stiff stacks. I would talk with FRP and ask Jeff to work you up a stack or two. He will put the together for you and send them to you on a zip lock.

I believe he has mastered the OEM KDX bump sticks after all these years, shim by shim...

My 02.
2001 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you know what your stacks are?

Do you have the instructions that came with the Gold Valve kit?
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

I had the stack config written down somewhere, but I can't come up with it as of late (I need some spring cleaning in the garage area!).

I purchased my GV's from FRP, which came with the box already opened as Jeff put a stack together for me, so I never got any instructions other than the worthless video. I believe there is a write-up somewhere on DRN for installation or fork maint.
2001 KDX 200
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Jason,
I do remember when Doug got his gold valves that they included a password to the racetech site so he could input his information and race tech would provide a stack configuration. The password is good for something like 5 trys or senarios, then it goes invalid.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

T-Roy, if you ever find anything, let me know. I would appreciate it.

skipro3, that is true. About 2.5 years ago, I called and some young guy gave me a code, which I lost quickly. I called last fall and asked the main tech about a code, and he acted like I was asking for the secret recipe to KFC chicken. I may try again on getting them to e-mail me some instructions.

Thanks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

All in all... I think Gold Valves do help the plushness and adjustability and I wish they were installed in mine. They may not be worth the high cost but if you have them... be glad.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "