Looking for some dot approved tires...

Got questions? We got answers....
1995KDX200mcs

Looking for some dot approved tires...

Post by 1995KDX200mcs »

I just got my KDX a street legal kit and I'm in the process of all the other paperwork. As for street legal tires i'm torn. I want to run some back roads to the trails. I definately don't want a 50/50 tire...I don't think. I like the IRC gp110 tires. Any experience with these. Any tire suggestions would be appreciated. Also whats the difference between 80/100-21 and 90/90-21 fronts. Is there a width diff. that would help on road? thanks
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Have had good luck with the Pirelli MT21's. They are 90/10 offroad/street. 90/90 tire is a little wider. Several off road riders have told us they "felt" the 90/90 stuck better in the varied terrain than the same tire they were running in the 80/100 size. We've also had others who have told us the opposite. :?

I now only run the Maxxis SI or the Metzler MC4 front tire on my bikes. This is due to the traction I "feel" in the dirt. Both of these are DOT (front only) tires and both have perfored well...but, I was on the paved stuff for only about 3% of my riding. These two would probably wear fairly quickly compared to a true DS tire in a more true DS role. Also, the KDX is not a "street" bike, so I rode it pretty conservative in the corners. RickD rides it now and has ridden the streets way more than I did. Maybe he'll pop in here and let us know his experience.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I ride my KDX to work right now, forests are closed up here so I'm not going to be riding anyways and besides that I have my CRF to ride if I decide to head down a few hours for some riding which I don't think I'll have the time any time soon. So instead of wasting more gas in a car I decided to ride my KDX around town, right now I still have my dirt tires on, MT44 front and a Maxxis Desert IT in rear and after many many street miles they are holding up incredible! Tread on both is still at very minimum 3/4 and very usable in the dirt, when they do finally wear down I have a set of enduro Metzlers I'll throw on and do some super-motard-ish riding.

As for tires, the MT44 is DOT approved and holding up very well for me. The Maxxis I'm using isn't DOT approved but I haven't received any grief over it (this is Arizona though...), I had a DOT approved IRC on it when I bought it and it was ok but traction in the dirt wasn't spectacular. I haven't run another DOT tire since.