!@#$ing petcock

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

!@#$ing petcock

Post by crazybrit »

My petcock has never been very good, typical of most KDXs.

I pulled it apart and it had some dirt inside it. Removed the plastic/rubber bits and cleaned it with kerosene. Read a thread where someone said a groove tends to form which they JB welded and sanded back to original shape. I couldn't see a groove, where abouts does it form, near where the o-ring is?

The little piece of plastic with the 4 holes in looked fine, the o-ring was a little dry, I greased it. Put it back together, movement of the petcock seemed a lot smoother.

I was switching between two carbs and it won't switch off in any position, off is about 1/2 of normal flow which sucked as gas got everywhere.

I cleaned it out as the bike tended to pee gas if left overnight but I clearly didn't help things much.

Can it be r-and-r'd back to actually working like a normal bike or is this a fools errand? Not sure if it's as simple as a new o-ring.

Tony
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The groove will be about half way down the shaft. If it isn't there then your good to go.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

KDX petcocks aren't very good? It has on/off/reserve, works great for me.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:KDX petcocks aren't very good? It has on/off/reserve, works great for me.
They are notorious for not shutting off when in the off position. Mine is now worse than it was before but they are never brilliant in the first place.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:The groove will be about half way down the shaft. If it isn't there then your good to go.
The shaft attached to the dial switch? The one you turn to change position?

I wonder if me greasing the o-ring wasn't a smart move as it's just leaking like crazy now.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
crazybrit wrote:>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:KDX petcocks aren't very good? It has on/off/reserve, works great for me.
They are notorious for not shutting off when in the off position. Mine is now worse than it was before but they are never brilliant in the first place.
First I ever heard of it :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'They are notorious for not shutting off when in the off position.'

True.

There is approximately one nanoinch of position that turns it off..IF it turns off.

9:00? OK. 9:01? Nope. 8:59? Nope.

I'm not referring just to my bike. Others have voiced the same gripe over the years.

It's not something you notice if your float/valve/seat are in good shape. They will usually stop any petcock dripping. I notice my petcock being not up-to-snuff after a trailer ride up the hill. Bike is getting bounced around pretty hard, its suspension being tightened up. Even with the petcock off there is almost always a good bit of fuel that has 'bounced' out and sitting under the bike.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 02:35 pm Jun 27 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

I asked Jeff Fredette. Oddly for a problem that doesn't exist he was quite familiar with it, quote: "petcocks have been leaking on the kdx's for sopme time" and recommended replacing the o-ring and the round 4 hole rubber gizmo. My shaft looks ok to me. I'll get these and see if it fixes it. Fairly cheap.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
crazybrit wrote:I asked Jeff Fredette. Oddly for a problem that doesn't exist he was quite familiar with it, quote: "petcocks have been leaking on the kdx's for sopme time" and recommended replacing the o-ring and the round 4 hole rubber gizmo. My shaft looks ok to me. I'll get these and see if it fixes it. Fairly cheap.
Mine used to almost shut off as CC mentioned, that was until I removed all the dirt, now it won't shut off in any position
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Fredette?

First I heard'a that name.... :wink:

Consider the source

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

CC, He's been racing kdx's for years. He also fixes and tunes them, his popularity among kdx owners has netted him the name 'Mr. KDX'. :lol:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Never heard of 'em..... :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Yeah, Brad Fredette, first American to win the world 500 GP title (on a Kawasaki prepped RM500 with Simons USD forks, y'know before the buy-out). We used to ride together at Ascot. Nice guy, now he mostly sells T-shirts at Harley rallies and fixes KDX's as mandatory public service to work off his public exposure sentencing. I felt sorry for his kid after that affair. :butthead: But y'know that 50ish testosterone can really blow your mind if you don't take enough estrogen supplements to balance it out. Yet another example of a critical social issue our churches and state refuse to acknowledge.

What were we talking about? :?
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good grief...I don't believe it.........

REEEEEEEELLLLLLL in the guppy....

sheesh.... :roll:
Brad Fredette graduated from Spaulding High School in Rochester knowing he wanted a career in automotive technology. He entered NHCTC because it was reasonably priced and it offered the program he wanted.

"Earning an (associate's) degree will give me an edge that other non-associate degree employees won't have," Fredette says, knowing he has a leg up in his specialized field and a job waiting.

Consider the source