need new rear tire

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxandy

need new rear tire

Post by kdxandy »

I recently bought my first bike. It's a 92 kdx 200. I need a new rear tire because the one on it has some dry rot. I was wondering about a good intermediate to hard tire that isn't extremely expensive. I ride with Rick and Jeb so we do mostly trail riding and a little track riding. Thanks for the advice Andy
'92 KDX 200
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Hi, Andy - welcome to the site!!

For the terrain you describe, I get good performance with the Pirelli MT16. Mine is meatier than stock - 110/100 vs. 100/100. Great traction, great wear, predictable wheelspin. A little sloppy in the hardpack perhaps but not bad.

Others will have good suggestions as well with pros/cons.

Oh yeah, that website for tires at good prices is http://americanmototire.com/

When are we gonna go riding again?!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
kdxandy

Post by kdxandy »

hey jeb. thanks for the web site. do you know if the bridgestone m602 or the maxxis are good tires. looking forward to riding again. how did your boy do in the big game
:grin:
'92 KDX 200
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Not sure on that Bridgestone or Maxxis although I've read where others rave about some of the Maxxis . . . try some websearches on this site and maybe a few others.

My son's team got beat pretty convincingly - it was like they weren't there. They've beat this team twice during the regular season, too . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

Hey Andy! Glad to hear you've got your own ride! I've been running Maxxis IT & Maxxis SI on my KDX; Mid-priced with corresponding wear and traction. I think I saw where MotoSport.com has a sale on front and rear Maxxis IT for something like $85 for the set. You may wish to consider getting a new tube if the tire has dry rot.

We'll have to get together again. I turned in my summer grades today and I'm off 'til mid August and hence I'm fairly flexible. (Of course, no work means no paycheck but the time off is great.)
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

2004 TTR 125LE (for sale)

KORHS Series: Senior C
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I concur with crf kdx, SI front and either IT in the rear, desert or none. Both of which being Maxxis.

The combination I have on my KDX I am really digging right now, MT44 in the front and Desert IT in the rear. I've had awesome traction everywhere. The MT44 rear is not a bad tire either, especially in soft loose stuff, then it's the best knobby out there!