High Idle

Got questions? We got answers....
Motodeficient

High Idle

Post by Motodeficient »

I was riding today when all of the sudden my 220 started idling very high... When i pull the clutch in or when its in neutral. You can also feel it trying to rev too much when just driving when you aren't on the throttle... what could
cause this in the middle of riding?

I have done a little research which says this can be from a lean pilot jet. I guess this could explain why it didn't happen to the bike was fully warm? Maybe I will go from 42 pilot to 45
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Play with the air screw a bit. It is your best friend when you are displeased with your idle speed.
Motodeficient

Post by Motodeficient »

I know i can adjust the air screw, but my question is what would cause me to go from a normal idle to a much higher idle in the middle of riding
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Sounds more like an air leak. Check your carb to make sure all is well, especially the float level, then all the intake parts are sealing well. If that's all good, open the left cover and look around the the magneto to see if there is any oil in there. if so, your crank seal is toast. if the one on the other side is bad, it's harder to tell.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

Just covering some bases. Were you about to hit reserve or run it out of gas?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Assuming there IS fuel available....

>|<>QBB<
Motodeficient wrote:I know i can adjust the air screw, but my question is what would cause me to go from a normal idle to a much higher idle in the middle of riding
Air leak sounds good.

You might check the throttle cable retainer on the slide. Make sure the tab on the retainer is IN the slot on the retainer nut. If it's not...you will get erratic slide movement..thus erratic idle.

Sometimes you can feel that in the throttle..sometimes not.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Motodeficient

Post by Motodeficient »

Yeah I'm thinking something with the carb/throttle as well, thats the only thing that would be moving like that while riding to cause this.
Motodeficient

Post by Motodeficient »

Well I fixed it, I'm not sure exactly what caused it. I took the carb out, went up one size on pilot and main jets (its in the 60's anyway right now), cleaned/ re-oiled the airfilter, and reinstalled the carb. back to normal now. I've been getting the jetting down lately, maybe the carb wasn't seated in the intake boot properly or something. :rolleyes: