Has anyone heard this trick (very good trail side tip)

Got questions? We got answers....
luke347

Has anyone heard this trick (very good trail side tip)

Post by luke347 »

Today i ran out of gas on the trail and when one of the guys i was riding with had an amazing way to get the gas out of his tank and into mine to get back to the truck.
First we found a long enough line that would reach from his gas tank to mine
Second with his lips making the seal on his gas tank he blew air into it to presurize it and this made gas flow into my tank and because my bike was lower it created a syphin.
I hope that wasnt to complicated and will help some one else
PS the reason i ran out of gas was because there was a crack in my gas line
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Last couple of times I transferred gas I just unbolted my tank and held it then opened the petcock over the tank needing the fuel. Experience has taught me that physically dumping from one fuel tank to another does not work very well while on the trail.

From your description I can not picture how the fuel was transferred frankly. Pressurizing to cause liquid to flow to a lower location is not normally required unless you looped the fuel transfer hose higher than the fuel level in the donor bike.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Just pull the bike with gas up on a bank. Pull the fuel line and replace it with the tank vent tube. Pull the empty bike under the other bike, lean it in, put the vent tube in the empty tank and turn the petcock on.

thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I think he's talking about siphoning the gas out...

We've always just used the technique of raising one bike over the other and pouring out the fuel, it's worked fine for us every time.
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

"Running out of Gas" 1984
I leaned my YZ up against the van while leaving the petcock open
The tank drained overnight through the carb over flow into the sand .
The crazy thing is we had a camp fire going about ten feet away all night :roll: :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Pressurizing beats sucking any day. (edited for inference) :wink:

Re: 'Pressurizing to cause liquid to flow to a lower location is not normally required..'

Not if there is no 'uphill' before the 'downhill'. As written, the fuel would have flowed all by itself..just not as fast.

Well...assuming the line was connected to the petcock (below the tank). Maybe it wasn't, in which case, '..unless you looped the fuel transfer hose higher than the fuel level in the donor bike.'

It's all pretty simple 'cept for the very first part: 'First we found a long enough line that would reach from his gas tank to mine..'

THEREIN lies the rub in most cases!! If you got THAT part...the rest is cake.

Re: use tank vent line

Although intuitively obvious to even a casual observer, it's also an excellent point! A good reason to not run one'a those little stubby things.

I carry fuel line in my tool bag....

Re: 'The crazy thing is we had a camp fire going..'

Isn't 'On Any Sunday'?? .. .where the broken down/lost rider dumps fuel out of his bike to start a signal fire...wheels his bike away (with gas still coming out of the bike), lights the fire with his bike a 'safe' distance away only to have the drippings act like a fuse...to his now flaming bike!

File that under 'Things that make you cuss!'

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
luke347

Post by luke347 »

We couldnt get my bike any lower than his because we were on a very muddy part of the corse just wide enough for 1 bike let alone 2 but when your in an akward position this works great. he could have unbolted his tank and poured so gas into mine but none of us had tools, we were doing a loop on a H.S. course and gps-ing it.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Re: 'The crazy thing is we had a camp fire going..'

Isn't 'On Any Sunday'?? .. .where the broken down/lost rider dumps fuel out of his bike to start a signal fire...wheels his bike away (with gas still coming out of the bike), lights the fire with his bike a 'safe' distance away only to have the drippings act like a fuse...to his now flaming bike!

File that under 'Things that make you cuss!'
'Things that make you cuss!'

Fouling a plug............................................................. $ 5
Gas in the tank to dip fouled plug in.............................. $10
Cigarette lighter to burn off carbon deposits.................. $ 2
Forgeting to close the gas cap...................................... PRICELESS

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/show ... ostcount=1

The pictures are no longer there, DOH. :evil: It was a mess, basically frame and rims only. Nowhere near as bad a Jerrys though. :cry:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

5-6 meters away?

I'd think that was PLENTY far enuf. Heck..1/2 that and I'd think sparking anything would be perfectly fine.

:hmm:

What a story!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!