Fork Seals Help?

Got questions? We got answers....
Superwilly

Fork Seals Help?

Post by Superwilly »

Hey guys, I need some advice. I have an old ’85 KDX200 that I need to replace the fork seals on. For background, I’m pretty much a mechanical novice with an average selection of tools. Biggest thing I’ve ever done one a bike to date was pull out and rip apart my carb. I don’t know much about suspension at all, so I’m a bit scared on this one. I already have the seals, and I’m wondering if I should tackle this myself, or just buck up the 1 ½ hours of labor for a local shop to do it?

Also, I’m fat and poor, so I need stiffer springs but can’t afford them. When the forks are apart, is there a spacer of some sort I could fabricate to compress the spring more? Can I do this to the rear spring as well?

Thanks for any advice on this matter. PS, if there are any good links or tutorials that would walk me through this process I would be most grateful!

Thanks,
-Superwilly
'85 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

KDXer's of this vintage please correct as necessary.

Take a looksee here!.

Note it's an 'H' bike...but close in most ways as far as the spring/service part goes.

There is a KYB USD service link on the KX fork front page that is also helpfully similar. Basically: Remove the base valve, top cap, spring (and whatever spacers and stuff), dust seal, circlip, tap-tap-tap 'em apart.

The 'tap' part NOT being huge lunging slams..and not tiddly-winks, either.

Fudging on an inadequate spring to make up for what is really needed (a correct spring rated spring) won't be helpful to you. You will change the free sag (in a bad way) but the RATE of the spring will remain the same.

A fork seal driver is an excellent tool to have...but not cheap ($45 or so). You can make something that will do out of PVC pipe.

Should you tackle it yourself?

You bet!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!