KDX at ... at... MX track?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KDX at ... at... MX track?

Post by 2001kdx »

Oh Yeah! I took the 'ol KDX to thr track for a full day of open practice and to my surprise, the bike was great! Big hits were of course harsh, but I've yet to feel something cooler than taking this little 200 and carving the inside line of a corner and coming out WOT passing a couple of decked-out 4-stroke MX bikes.

Also, i had my first real case of ARM PUMP! Hurt like hell to let off throttle and it made me launch a jump that I really didn't want to. That's when I knew I had ridden enough for one day. I was also really surprised with the gear selection, being a wide-tranny, but I could use 3rd for 80% of the track, it really pulled off of the bottom in third nicely for turns. I don't have RB or yet, but I can't wait for my time to come.

i also had a question. I have my back tilted slight forward in order to reach my bars. I'm about 6' and have a set of renthals with a decent bend, so do you think these tusk bar risers will do the trick?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I've ridden my KDX at some backwoods tracks near me. It'll take hits fine, I've hit a 60' floater in 5th gear and had I had the balls I could have hit it in 6th gear. 45ft tables can be tough but I've managed to do them as well. There are pictures in my album of some of the stuff.

But I just acquired a new bike for my MX needs, you'll have wait till Tuesday to find out what it is though. :supz: :cool:

Link doesn't work BTW.
bhorocks

Post by bhorocks »

thats funny i have the same risers.... but by moose.. they do raise em up about 3/4 inch. I have yet to ride on mine though i just got them in and put them on my kx forks that will go on the kdx this week!
i out like a fat kid in dodgeball
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Bleak, please tell me what you think because after having so much fun at the track I'm ready to work up some cash to do the same. Time for a JOB!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Took the bar risers off of myfriends bike today, he has a pair. Very niiice. Was able to stand straighter and was more comfortable in corners, faster out of berms. Even jumping logs, it just feels better, and without any cable lenght issues to speak of!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I say take some bikes out for a spin whenever you can. I was out riding earlier and for once I was really able to dig my KDX and was in front of everyone I was riding with (that doesn't happen often). Afterwards I hopped onto another guys 06 KX250F and was impressed. I'm not a big fan of the 250Fs though, with me being at 7k' elevation and having spent alot of time on 450s and 250smokers the 250F feels just wimpy. I'm not saying that they aren't powerfull because they are but there are situations where they lack up here, the KX250F guy was saying the same thing today. Just try something out and set a goal to what you want.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I have tried a YZ250F, definitely not my thing. Only because of that 4-stroke engine braking. That is annoying, I know for sure after riding that thing that I'm a 2-stoke guy. 250 smoker is the only way!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Engine braking is annoying but you get used to it very quick. Try out a 450, you'd be surprised at how amazing they are. A KDX is one of the most 4stroke like 2-strokes out there. It'll chug like the best of them. I don't think I'll ever have a garage without a 2-stroke. I love being on that pipe and flying!

This was funny... I've got this friend, he rides a 98 620sx (yes they made one) on single track. He's not very fast but he's definatly improved since the first time I rode with him. Well some of the others and I were talking today that he would be amazing if he had something that didn't weigh >325lbs so we let him ride our bikes. He rode this guys 04 Husaberg 450 and loved it, couldn't believe the difference that a good bike will make. He then hopped on mine, he had never ridden a 2stroke so this would be his first time. Well he takes off and we hear him get on the pipe and then stop all of a sudden. He then slowly turns around and comes right back to us after maybe a 100 yard ride. He stopped and said "IS THAT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN?! I THOUGHT THE ENGINE WAS GOING TO BLOW!" :rolleyes: :partyman: He wasn't used to having to ride on the pipe to get any power and he said that he prefered to be able to go forward without having to twist the throttle. He was going to buy a CR250 too, that would have killed him! hehe :cool: :lol:
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Hey bleak, I saw your posts on the other site. Did you get the CRF450R with the weeping fork seal??

I guess I'm a wuss, but I can't imagine riding a CRF450R aggressively. That bike is a freakin' BEAR. Maybe they are great once you get used to them, but the one time I rode one was NOT enough to get used to it.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:Hey bleak, I saw your posts on the other site. Did you get the CRF450R with the weeping fork seal??

I guess I'm a wuss, but I can't imagine riding a CRF450R aggressively. That bike is a freakin' BEAR. Maybe they are great once you get used to them, but the one time I rode one was NOT enough to get used to it.
I was the same when I tried one a few month back, did not feel comfortable on that thing, riding position did not suit me at all. Then I tried a 450 KXF a few weeks back and man, I love it! I felt right at home, loved the power and riding position :supz: . I then tried again the same crf 450 after that just to compare. I liked it better that time, the only difference was the guy changed his handlebar, and I felt much more comfy that time.
I could defenitly get use to them especially the power, the only problem is they're 4 strokes :roll:
The engine breaking is not that big of a deal, you get use to it. The way I see it is that you have to have more throttle control and always give it some gas to reduce engine breaking, it's not like on a 2 smoke where it's more like throttle ON or OFF. :wink:
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Darn! I knew that "other" site would reveal my secret! :lol: Yep, sure did.

I just wrote a friggen essay on the subject but decided to tell ya guys tomorrow after my first real ride! Betta be ready for it... :partyman:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Anyone considering a Kawi 4-stroke might want to read these comments:

http://www.ericgorr.com/mxenginerebuilding.html

Scroll down to Kawi.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:Darn! I knew that "other" site would reveal my secret!
What
other site'? Not that trash dirtrider! Those assclowns!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Anyone considering a Kawi 4-stroke might want to read these comments:

http://www.ericgorr.com/mxenginerebuilding.html

Scroll down to Kawi.
Yeah, I've heard that before. The first sentence doesn't instill any confidence... I've had friends with RMZs and from what they said they are a total and utter waste of money. They said they spent more time just keeping the engine running then actually did riding them. Besides, I've never really liked yellow anyways! :mrgreen:

I'm thinking I'm pretty lucky right now. The CRF450 I'm getting is an 04 so it already has the good chain tensioner and if I remember correctly already has the upgraded valve kit. From what I've been reading on the internet in it's stock form the 04 R is one of the better years for changing into trail bikes. I'll see how well here in a few hours when I get it. :supz:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Sheesh I bet your excited!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The first sentence doesn't instill any confidence...
I know....I almost spit water all over my monitor when I first read it.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project