S12's?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

S12's?

Post by Indawoods »

Hey.... how long can I expect S12's all the way around to last on my KDX? I have never had a set but my brother has one on the back of his and it has lasted 3 seasons and still grips like a Gorilla! I hear most people put M12's on the front but I don't know why since you usually get 3 times the wear out of a front than a rear.
Thanks in advance....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by farmerj »

I hear most people put M12's on the front but I don't know why since you usually get 3 times the wear out of a front than a rear.

I've done a lot of searching re: "tires". What I understand is that people run the M12 NOT because it lasts longer...but because it grips better. The S12 has a "sideways knob" in its tread pattern & doesn't hang on as well as the M12 in some situations, according to reports - not my "real world" experience!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Uh...isn't that kind of along the lines of, 'How far can I go on a tank of gas?'

Three seasons = ten hours of seat time = no problem

Three seasons = 4-600 hours of seat time = fat chance

The S12 is comparable to the Dunlop 756..in that they are both designed for 'soft' terrain.

When I tried an S12, I'd say I got a bit less out of it than a 756...but it sure as heck wasn't even close to three seasons......or two....or one, for that matter.

It's a great gripper. Doesn't brake 'fer diddle.

Others have taken exception to that opinion.

Hey! We can't ALL be right! ;)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... what kind of terrain do you run on? Crumbling rock, decaying trees, soft loam? I rarely ride on any kind of rock, usually just soft brown dirt with decaying vegetation or mud and some clay occasionally. I think it matters the type of terrain you ride. But, I am trying to get the best possible traction to longevity I can find. It's true my brother doesn't ride as much as me... simply because he has no time. i.e... Family. His tires are worn to be sure... but sure grips a lot better than my junky Dunlops! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well...taking today as an example:

Sharp, jagged rocks the size of your head.
Shale faces the size of your car (Got a big car?)
Mud
Decomposed granite
Frozen clay (no...I didn't get to the top)
Forest humus

No particular type. If your tired for hardpan and rocks (harder tire), when you get to the clay/granite...you won't be going far.

If your tired for mud and goo (softer tire) you kind'a wince alot when you're churning thru the rock gardens.

I generally don't change tires to suit conditions in the middle of a ride....:wink:

..which is to say, 'Never do.'

Dunlop 756s are the choice around these parts. My last new rear tire was first part of October.

It's not looking real good about now.

Cool! A new tire ever couple months sounds good, doughnit?

Oh...this weekend put about 85 more miles on it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!