Mystery 250 info please...

Got questions? We got answers....
Wazowski

Mystery 250 info please...

Post by Wazowski »

In a post a few years back skipro3 gave a brief "here's what you get for your money" rundown of the Mystery 250 ride in Nevada. I guess my question is this...has anyone ever been on the ride and if so could you give a report of your feelings about the trip? Was it worth the travel and registration? How technical is it? etc.

Your input will go a long way in my decsion making process. It sounds like the "sturgis" of the dirt bike world but you'd never know it by the info at the Seirra Trail Dogs site. A few pics but no detail at all.

Still it sounds intriguing enough to investigate so...bring it on! Anything you can share will be appreciated. Thanx in advance...Waz
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It's the gnarliest ride I've ever been on. It's very rocky and sharp rocks at that. What's not rocky is dusty. Take a few extra air filters. It's very fast; speeds up to the 80's if you have the eggs in some spots. It's a big event with a lot of riders. They take over Virginia City, a mining town that retains it's wild west flavor. Go with a couple other guys and share the room and the help when you break down. Plan on a flat tire or two. I don't want to scare you off or anything. I think it's an adventure you would talk about and measure all other rides against in the future or the past. Don't go this alone. You will need help with the drive home for sure!! 250 miles of any kind of off road racing is gonna wear anyone out. Bring money for the gambleing and the prostitutes, they are both legal in Nevada.

I hesitate to post anything in fear you will chicken out. If you think you might want to give it a go, then GO!!!! You will enjoy it. It's worth the money and the time, IMO.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Hah!

You can't scare me skipro3...I have 3 kids...two of them teenage daughters!!

And I wouldn't do 80 even if my KDX was up to it so, as far as I'm concerned, it would not be a "race" for me just a really long trail ride.

I plan to take along my son and maybe a few other family members for a little bonding...sounds like just the thing to bring the family together. Nothing weeds out your friends from the general riff raff than everyone huddled around a 4.00X18 Pirelli each holding on to a tire spoon!

Besides how bad can it really be? Don't hold back, I'm a big boy and bedsides...I've seen the water pictures...

Anyway it looks like a real blast. Anyone else been on the ride?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Wazowski wrote:..I have 3 kids...two of them teenage daughters!!
I get shivers runnin' all up and down my spine thinking about that. I thank God I had 2 sons. I felt so sorry for the fathers of the girls they dated. When each asked their girl friend's dad for their daughter's hand in marrage, they both initially said no. They should have stuck to their guns!! HA!!

When's the race? Might be I'll be around then? Not too far from where I live. If you come through Sacramento to get there, let me know and I'll invite you to the "chalet" as my home is being called these days.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Wazowski wrote:..I have 3 kids...two of them teenage daughters!!
I get shivers runnin' all up and down my spine thinking about that. I thank God I had 2 sons. I felt so sorry for the fathers of the girls they dated. When each asked their girl friend's dad for their daughter's hand in marriage, they both initially said no. They should have stuck to their guns!! HA!!

When's the race? Might be I'll be around then? Not too far from where I live. If you come through Sacramento to get there, let me know and I'll invite you to the "chalet" as my home is being called these days.
Too late this year...the "race" is this weekend!

I'll have to wait now till February of next year to enroll for next years "race". I expect it will be held in June next year too.

If all goes well and we can make it down there (I am "up here" in Oregon) maybe we can stop by on our way and camp out in your front yard?

Careful how you answer...your wish may come true!

It's only about a 12 hour drive from here but when you get my age you have to stop and pee at least once during a trip that long!

Waz
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Might be I'll have a bike again by then. Check with me when you get ready to register and maybe I'll sign up with you!! You can camp in the front yard, but I have many extra bedrooms at the "Chalet" as my friends have been calling it. It's under 2 hours from my door to the race, and a pretty drive at that; straight through Lake Tahoe's south shore then over Kingsbury Grade to Minden and on to Virginia City.

You will love that area and riding, especially if you've never ridden that type of thing before. check out the China Hat enduro up in your neck of the woods for a sample of what you can expect.
Jerry

Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

So it looks like no none but skipro3 has been to this thing.

From what i can tell of the pics on the website it's has some desert riding which means wide open spaces but are there any hill climbs and single track? Woods, mud, log jumping? Whoops?

Any real challenges I should get in shape for or practice for?

Can you remember that far back skipro?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There is quite a bit of single track. Train for rock riding, sand washes, whoops and some fun bomb runs. I can't recall any hill climbs that turned into bottle necks but there are a few hills out there that just keep going and going!! I don't think there was any mud or logs, certainly not this year since it's been a bit dry. Just work on stamina. If you can ride a bike for 6 hours straight without stopping for 2 days in a row, you will be fine. Have energy bars, drink on-board. Take your camera. And most of all, report back here when you get a chance!!

****EDIT****
Wait, there was some water!! Here's a link to some photos!!
http://www.sierratraildogs.com/2004_Pictures.htm

But WAIT........
Wasn't the race June 9/10th?

Oh yea, I see you know that. Sells out for a reason. IT"S FUN!!!!!

That's a KDX on the front line

There's dust

There's water

there's hills

There's sand washes
Jerry

Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Yeah skipro I'll have to wait till next year.

Thanx for the pics...it looks like a blast but I can tell I'm going to need to loose a few pounds and do some workin' out to get in shape (something other than round)!

Six hours a day huh? Is it one continuos round, several different loops or twice around the same loop?

I think a 50 year old guy can do it. I can hardly wait!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It's a ride out on day one and a ride back in on day two. No loops. 50? no sweat!! At 50 you should have stamina and the ability to pace yourself. Either that or you have a dissatisfied wife!!! HaW!
Jerry

Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:It's a ride out on day one and a ride back in on day two. No loops. 50? no sweat!! At 50 you should have stamina and the ability to pace yourself. Either that or you have a dissatisfied wife!!! HaW!
So what you are saying is...

My WIFE will know better if I can do this thing!?!?

My WIFE?

Ok I'll ask her if it's OK for me to go and I'll let HER train me! :cool:

I could win this thing huh? :supz:

Waz
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I like the pic of the submarine bike :supz:
Was that a peewee bike or sumthin? :lol: Cuz that looked deeeep :blink:
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I like the pic of the submarine bike :supz:
Was that a peewee bike or sumthin? :lol: Cuz that looked deeeep :blink:
How can that be? It's only ankle deep!

I think he's just rinsing out his front forks (and a few things).

Hot and dusty and all that... :lol:

HAAAAAAAAA!

I kill myself :hehe:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you want practice breathing in the dust...come down this-a-way for a couple days at Prospect. We rode about 250miles this past weekend..but that was over three days, not two.

With your wifes' (sic..talk about the killing of one's self..) permission, come on down!

What is the story on that submarine? He's in the wrong place? Took a 'shortcut'?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bhorocks

Post by bhorocks »

do they provide gas support?
i out like a fat kid in dodgeball
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yes, there is gas support.

The wet bike looks like he most likely went over the bars and the bike just fell over onto it's side. See the foot peg gasping for air there? There are deeper spots, as much as knee deep but this year is dry so probably not too bad.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes. I see the footpeg..but I can't make sense of the angle of the front tire with the handlebars.

Funny looking footpeg, too. :hmm:

..nevermind..I won't interrupt noh moh.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!