Sold my KDX now I want it back!

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

Sold my KDX now I want it back!

Post by firffighter »

I made a huge mistake and sold my '92 KDX200 that was set up very nicely with tons of mods. I bought a WR426 thinking it was time to step up to the new 4-strokes like everyone else. After riding it 3-4 times I realized why I dont like following the crowd. It was too heavy for tight trails, a pain to start hot or cold and the power delivery reminded me of a 250 motocrosser. I am selling the WR and going back to the KDX. It does everything I ask it to do here in Oregon like tight woods, desert, dunes and even putting behind the kids. I would really like a leftover '06 KDX since I have never owned a new bike in over 25 years of riding. What should I be willing to pay for one? I realize I could get a better equipped used bike for less than new, but I think it would be nice to finally have a new bike after all of these years. I would definitely do the mods after I got the bike. Any thoughts. Thanks
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

Hi Russ!
We bought KT's 03 220 in Vancouver for $1700 (in Feb this year). It had renthal bars, v-force reeds, a PCII pipe and 296SA. All the initial things people say to do. Very little time on it...radiators were totally straight. :shock:

I've since had the RB mods done to head and carb and the bike is simply great. I still love my WR250F because it is always ready at the throttle, but the KDX is super light and at least as fast through the woods here on the west side. We've agreed that I can use her bike in two woods-type races per year and then stay off it for the rest of the time. I am content with that! :mrgreen:

The prices posted on craigslist are, I think, inflated at $2400 for 2000-2004 models. So be tough when looking. Our guy started at $2K. I think we got a really good price and a really good bike, but $2K should be something reasonable to pay for a 4 year old bike. Good luck looking!
:supz:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I bought an '04 220 brand new and really wish I hadn't. I paid $4k out the door and then spent a ton on mods. In contrast, I bought my son an '05 YZ125 used with hardly any hours on it for $2200 , The YZ was a much better deal.

If you are dead set on a new one, I wouldn't go over $3,500 and try real hard for around $3K. Let the dealer know that you know it's a dinosaur, they quit making them, he's lucky you like living in the past, on and on. :lol:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I think you could end up with a new hold over 2005 or 2006 model KDX 200 for about $3250 in our neck of the woods. Action Motor sports in Idaho Falls has/had a 2006 200 going for $3600 ~ a month ago - typically they drop ~10% if you do some talking.

I've purchased from the Kawasaki dealer in Rexburg Idaho a two year old new bike for $900 off the list price on a $4000 bike.

Call around.

P.S. I do like to buy "the toys" new (or near new from friends) if possible just because of the head aches that can come from not-so-well cared for toys. Might not be $$ smart, but I'm not fixing somebody's screw-ups and not breaking down in the few hours I have to enjoy the toys. Sometimes spending additional money to get excately what you want in the condition you want pays in the end. especially if you are a long term "keeper" which it appears you are. (As I am also) :partyman:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome back! :wink: :partyman: :prayer: Get your new KDX and come down this way for a ride!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Thanks guys! This website is also a reason I am looking forward to going back to a KDX. I think Action motosports in Fairview has a '06 still sitting there. I was thinking of offering around $3000 and go up to $3400 max.

mOrie,
Thanks for the invite. I appreciate all of your advice when I bought the KDX the 1st time. I would like to head south for one of those Jefferson County rides with some of the KDX folks who are around that area.
'
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

My folks live in Damascus - very close to Boring. I live in Newbeg. Got my 04 220 leftover last fall for 3250 out the door from Hillsboro Motosport.
Like the other guys say . . . keep on telling them you are doing them a favor to my an old style bike and you need to do KX fork conversion, etc.

When you get your bike give me a shout. I ride in the Nestucca Trask area outside of Carlton.

I sold my 04 WR450 and love the KDX. The WR was an awesome hill climber but it wore me out. I love the KDX.

Steve
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

SteveWR - Is the Boring Bar in Boring Oregon still the opposite of its name? Stopped in there 22 years ago while on our Honeymoon and was quite supprized at what we walked in on at ~ 1 PM on a Thursday afternoon! :grin: :? :lol: :lol:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I worked at the lumber mill as an 18 year old in Boring 20 years ago and our shift finished in early afternoon. Guess where the employees of a lumber mill headed after there shift was over? I was only 18, but the older guys I worked with assured me that they could get me in no problem. I got quite an education that summer working at the mill (also made good money to buy a Yamaha IT 490).

Anyway, I am going out to the dealer tomorrow to see how little I can give for an '06.

I agree Steve. My WR426 wore me out and made me long for my KDX in the tight stuff. I havent ridden in the Trask area in years. I like Brown's camp on weekdays, and McCubbins gulch. I am going to try Eddieville and Starvation Ridge this month, hopefully with a KDX.
'
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Small world firffighter, I'm right below you in Eagle Creek.
Someday when you get your new KDX we'll have to go for a ride.

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

IT 490
NOW THAT WAS A BIKE
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I had an 02 WR426 and feel it was one of the best bikes I've ever owned. Bullet proof and a great suspension. Put in a auto-decompression cam from an 03 YZ450 and a YZ stock pipe (can get them cheap...ebay) and you'll have a freaky wheely-popp'n torque-master, one kick easy-starting bike. A superior handling machine IMO for everything and will handle most tight stuff (at a somewhat slower pace).

The KDX is still the better tight trail bike though.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
SteveWR450f wrote: When you get your bike give me a shout. I ride in the Nestucca Trask area outside of Carlton.

Steve
Russ, I offered this to you several months ago but it still is on the table: Forget about Brown's and Nestucca, let me take you where the KDX thrives...The Trask...MXOldtimer, SteveWR450F...let's make it a 4-way, but without the stops. It's still the best ST going...even if it's been a long time since you were there, you'll not be disappointed.

Best weather and traction are now. Trails are finally clear so you don't have to get off your bike except when you have a get-off :wink:

I have week-days open starting the 21st of June (Saturdays too!) :mrgreen:
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

[/quote]

The Trask...MXOldtimer, SteveWR450F...let's make it a 4-way, but without the stops. It's still the best ST going...even if it's been a long time since you were there, you'll not be disappointed.

:[/quote]

Sounds like fun.
I'm headed over by Ukiah (Uampine ORV campground) for a ride/camp with a bunch of guys late next week.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I am up for riding in the Trask. Just let me know. Just about any Saturday or Sunday is good for me for the next 3 weeks or so.

Steve

steve@newberglaw.com
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

The week of the 1st would probably work for me. I hope to have a KDX by then. Let me know when it gets closer about specific times and day, etc. I will keep you updated on my bike buying situation. Finding some local guys to ride with would be great.
'
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Hey, I found a closeout on '06 models at a local dealer for $3399. Think I will go in tomorrow and do some wheelin and dealin. What do you think about the price? Sounds pretty good to me for a new bike.
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Great price! Snag it!!!! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

A new bike with a 6 month warranty - great price - and some friends in the neighborhood that want to go for a ride. Life is pretty good at times!! :partyman: :supz: :lol: :grin: :grin:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
firffighter wrote:Hey, I found a closeout on '06 models at a local dealer for $3399. Think I will go in tomorrow and do some wheelin and dealin.
We're on the edge of our seats here so, let us know the details of your deal on wheels. :mrgreen:

Also firffighter, check your PMs :supz: