Trials tire, one rim lock or two

Got questions? We got answers....
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Trials tire, one rim lock or two

Post by strider80 »

I am going to order up a Dunlop D803 trials tire for the rear next week to run this summer and was wondering about rims locks. Are two rim locks a good idea for a KDX for running a trials tire? I can imagine on a big thumper they would be necessary, but maybe not on a small bore two stroke. I am going to run a ultra heavy duty tube, maybe try 6-8 psi.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Re: Trials tire, one rim lock or two

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote: Are two rim locks a good idea for a KDX for running a trials tire? I am going to run a ultra heavy duty tube, maybe try 6-8 psi.
Two rim locks is critical. A bunch of guys say use the tubeless tire with the ultra heavy duty tube. I prefer the tube-type with the ultra tube. The stiffer sidewalls on the tubeless tires cause the tire to act funny while in sweeping turns. With the tubeless type, the bike tracks through the turns.

I don't go less than 8 psi or over 9.

You'll love the tire (although I would recommend the Michellin X-11)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Most people I know who run them use one rimlock only. On everything from 200cc upto 450cc+. If you have a 'good' rimlock it should be fine. I have also heard great things about the X-11.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I am going to go a bit cheap and get the D803 just to try it, I am not sure I want to spend $100+ on the x-11.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cool, I wish you luck and please do let us know how it performs. The main reason I echoed the 'X-11' comment is this, a crap trials tire will apparently perform worse than a half decent knobbie will under the same conditions. I just hope the Dunplop isn't in the 'crap' category for you and your wallets sake. :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Me too, I have heard some good things about it locally.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|QBB<[/url]
KDXer wrote:Most people I know who run them use one rimlock only. On everything from 200cc upto 450cc+. If you have a 'good' rimlock it should be fine. I have also heard great things about the X-11.
Here's a question: Is it too much $$ to add an $8 rim lock to double the amount of tire-holding ability when running 8psi at speeds 20X faster than trials tires normally run on the same or similar surfaces?

My friend flatted his KTM last year at the Funky Chicken running a typical knobby at 12psi.
The rim got messed up and the tire and tube were shot. That hurt his wallet and put him out of the race. He now runs 2 rim locks even though he doesn't run a trials tire.

I found the $8 easy to part with after I saw that.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
Flying W wrote:Here's a question: Is it too much $$ to add an $8 rim lock to double the amount of tire-holding ability when running 8psi at speeds 20X faster than trials tires normally run on the same or similar surfaces?
$$ have nothing to do with it, its a matter of 'is it neccesary' ?? 2 rimlocks make tire changing a PITA for one. Have you seen or heard of how many people rip the 2nd rimlock out of bikes that come standard with 2 ?? LOADS... :mrgreen:

IMHO 2 is overkill if you have a decent rimlock to begin with. My point was I don't see a need for 2 when 100% of the people I know personally (roughly 10-15) who run trials tires have never had a problem with the tire spinning. Cheap insurance ?? Sure !! But really isn't 'critical'. If you ARE going to be drilling your rim to install a 2nd rimlock, may I suggest using the self tapper method as it makes removing and fitting a tire by hand alot easier.

strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

"self-tapper" ?????
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:>|<>QBB<

$$ have nothing to do with it, its a matter of 'is it neccesary' ??
$$ had everything to with my decision.
KDXer wrote:2 rimlocks make tire changing a PITA for one.
Doesn't hurt me at all and I change ALL my own tires (even the Maxxis Desert IT, Dunlop 952 and 739).
KDXer wrote:Have you seen or heard of how many people rip the 2nd rimlock out of bikes that come standard with 2 ?? LOADS... :mrgreen:
Rip the 2nd rimlock out?...None and I know hundreds.
KDXer wrote:IMHO 2 is overkill if you have a decent rimlock to begin with. My point was I don't see a need for 2 when 100% of the people I know personally (roughly 10-15) who run trials tires have never had a problem with the tire spinning. Cheap insurance ?? Sure !! But really isn't 'critical'.
I think I'll cancel my home insurance, life insurance, and health insurance now. :rolleyes:

Strider...poll the guys in the NW forum on TT...or, take your chances...there must be some reason there are so many rear wheels with 2 rim-locks out there...maybe its an economics thing...8 more dollars on each bike X a brazillion bikes...that's a lot of Krispy Kreams. :mrgreen:
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Well, I don't feel like getting a flat, so I figure I will do everything I can to prevent one. So I will take the 15 minutes and $8 to put one in. Do I just buy one based on the rim size?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

Totally...1.85". Do not put a 450 one on there. Maybe that's why KDXer has trouble with the extra rim lock.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

My point was it isn't 'critical', and I stand by that. One good rimlock will do the jobfine. Sure if you have the time to install one, the patience when changing a tire on the trail and $8 go for it. I have only had problems when using a crappy rim lock to begin with. I bought a billet aluminium unit and haven't had a problem since. The same rim lock is installed and fixed a mates KTM950 that had the same such issues with spinning the tire.

An American poll would be very interesting to compare to one I have started over here. Results so far...

I run ONE rimlock... 22 75.86%
I run TWO rimlocks... 3 10.34%
Who gives a farrrrk... 4 13.79%

Food for thought thats all not trying to start a slinging match. :mrgreen:

strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Hmmm, I ordered up a rim lock for a 1.85" rim, seems too small. The rim has 2.15" stamped on it and the stock lock is also a 2.15." Should I get a 2.15" one?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yup....

Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:Hmmm, I ordered up a rim lock for a 1.85" rim, seems too small. The rim has 2.15" stamped on it and the stock lock is also a 2.15." Should I get a 2.15" one?
I am satisfied with the 1.85" I have, but go with what you are comfortable with for sure.
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Does the 1.85" grab the bead sufficiently? I did not look at it too carefully, I am willing to try anything once.,....
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:Does the 1.85" grab the bead sufficiently? I did not look at it too carefully, I am willing to try anything once.,....
Well, my rim is a 1.85 (I guess I was showing my stupidity in thinking the 2.15 was for 450s). I am surprised your rim is wider than mine, but since it is (and if it were me), I'd put a 2.15 in there.

If you can't return the rim lock, I'll buy it from you. I am anxious to ride in the Gifford Pinchot this summer and would gladly meet you there if we could swing it. If not, I'll pay shipping and what you paid for the rim lock.

I feel bad giving you wrong advice on the size and I know I can use it because each time I've flatted in a race, I've destroyed the rim locks by the time I :boogie: to the pits anyway!

Let's get you through this! Let me know what you'd like to do and I'll make good on my end :partyman:
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I think it was $8, no worries, but I would like to make it down to GF anyways, I have only been to Taneum/Naches. I have all week to find one. What year is your bike? It is hard to believe that we have different size rear rims.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Rim Widths

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:I think it was $8, no worries, but I would like to make it down to GF anyways, I have only been to Taneum/Naches. I have all week to find one. What year is your bike? It is hard to believe that we have different size rear rims.
Would it be easier to believe if I told you my 250F (my reference for my recommendation) has a 1.85" rim width and the KDX220 has a 2.15"? Smokes, all I can say is I'm glad Rocky Mtn has bike profiles as I would have ordered the wrong one for the KDX.

Anyway, there it is. My little thumper has a skinny rim, but the smoker has a wider one.

We have a camp and ride going on this weekend through Wednesday in Central Oregon and company coming the first week of July, but I would be eager to hit GF on the 15th of July. Would you be able to forecast that far in advance to be able to pencil that in? I'd be coming up for a day ride unless I could convince my wife and daughters to camp overnight and ride a little on Sunday too.