Shock seal-head disassembly

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shock seal-head disassembly

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have my shock apart, and need to replace the shaft seal in the seal head. There is a steel washer on top of this, which appears to be held in place by a crimp on the top of the seal head. Does anyone know how you disassmeble the seal head to replace this seal, or if it is even possible?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Well you nitwit, I would have answered sooner but you can't even spell disassemble. This vexes me. Instead of working on your shock, you should spend your time painting your head olive drab so that it'll more closely resemble the avocado pit that is your brain.

Anyway, I stumbled into the same problem at roughly the same time and rather than waste innocent forum member's time with such a poorly worded and largely silly question, I called the dealer and was told the shock was not rebuildable , and I should buy a new one for merely $300 something U.S. Amurrikin dollars. I scoffed, guffawed, and then smote them with a complimentary dial tone. I then called Racetech, got on their tech support line, and axed the quiz. A fine young man told me he takes a socket, and a BAH (Big Assed Hammer), and carefully forms the crimp back to allow the large steel washer to achieve the dream of the late Dr. Martin Luther King. This is of course while the seal head is supported in a soft-jawed vise or similar support device. After replacing the miscreant seal, you simply support the seal head , and re-crimp being careful to keep a smooth surface and firmly contain the parts. Failure to do this could result in the usual injury, dismemberment, death, or even loud disturbing noises upon pressurization of the nitrogen bladder.

Good luck, wear a helmet.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

:lol:

I'm glad you pulled through!! Stick-tuitiveness wins everytime.

I checked back on this thread to see if someone answered or you made progress since I've got a seal, dust wiper, the bushing, and I found a place over the weekend that'll do the nitrogen . . .

My Kawi dealer sucks as well. Believe it or not, I order everything I need from a local HONDA shop, they know what to do, how to find, etc.

Thanks for doing the legwork and the figuring, now I'm really ready!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Jeb, look at the website I posted under the "suspension" topic to see a fairly elaborate explanation on the process, it still doesn't talk of the seal head disassembly, but covers everything else pretty well. Also be aware that Racetech will sell you a complete sealhead for about $38.00 unshipped, not too bad if you're in a hurry.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Mike, are you referring to this one:

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/a ... ?id=266765

I couldn't get it to work so maybe the website is down (maybe you corrupted it :lol: ), I'll check it out later . . .

'Noticed the complete seal head on Racetech's website - I guess it's everything on the shaft between the shims/valve assy and the bumper (?)

What oil did you use BTW?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

that's the site, works for me.. maybe only good west of the Mississippi :wink:

I believe the seal head includes the dust wiper. The tech told me it includes the oil seal and the top-out bumper.

I just used Bel Ray 5 wt oil labled as good for KYB stuff. I didn't want to wait for more special oil to show up.

If you do order the seal head assy, I would probably order that tool they have for setting it down below the circlip groove. I managed to do it with the insulated handls of my pliers, but it took some persuasion. Not totally necessary, but probably nice to have if you do it more than once.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Got the link to work this morning. Nice details . . . and pictures, too!!

Thanks again

CLICK FOR PICS!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Update: When I recommended the seal head setting tool I was under the impression it was under $20, it's actually $50 :shock: . No way would I buy one for that. You can easily make something much cheaper, or just use other tools.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I might just dive into things this week . . . 'got my digi, I'll take a few snaps for the next victim to follow.

CLICK FOR PICS!