first post.. where to start on the mods...

Got questions? We got answers....
bhorocks

first post.. where to start on the mods...

Post by bhorocks »

ok well first off i would like to say i'm glad i finally joined the forum.. had my kdx for a few months and i always just read the posts.

I am thinking my first mod will be moose flex bars. I'm tall at 6'4" and i almost sold the kdx becuase it felt to small. then i figured i would just get some higher bars!

anyone have any good recomendations to get some room in the cockpit?

thanks!
i out like a fat kid in dodgeball
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

First off, Welcome. As for the mods to accomodate your size, I would think bar extenders would help, as would re-springing the suspension. As I recall, our friend from Down Under is a rather large specimen, and prone to chime in with his experience. Getting the bike to fit you would obviously be the first step in mods, and I'm sure he can help... Kay Dee?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
bhorocks

Post by bhorocks »

thanks. yup lookin for all the goodies. forks,rb mods.. money and more money
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Fastway pegs are nice adds some room as they are or feel lower and a little swept back, gutts racing tall seat foam, med is very comfee, hard is softer than a KTM seat. some risers or CR high bars, there is a guy on craigslist http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/340205592.html with a set of KX forks all ready to go. cant beat that deal.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hi and Welcome !! :partyman:

I am 6'5" and had the same impressions of the KDX as you when I first got it. It is now ALOT better than it was but still not quite perfect (I don't know if any bike can really be made to suit our tall frames). If I can lower the pegs at least a half inch it would make it just about perfect. I have done the following;

CEET tall seat foam
TAG Mini bars (highest TAG bend available) approx 28" wide without B/Bs
KX fork swap with forks 10mm above top clamp (raising the front 1/2" or so
IMS Pro Series pegs (gives a more planted feel)
Extended by 10mm and reshaped gear lever (helps shifting with size 14 feet, thats if you have the same problem with mis-shifting like myself)
Johar foam grips (larger grips gives a better grip for us big handed folk, less of that 'I'm holding onto a broomstick' feeling).

Thats about all the mods I can think of that helped in the ergonomics department at the moment. As I said though, ideally if the pegs were upto an inch lower it would be perfect. When standing I still miss the seat with my knees. I really can't grip and control the bike like I'd like to be able to.

Again Welcome and Good luck !!! :partyman:

Cheers,
Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
bhorocks

Post by bhorocks »

also has them for sale on ebay for 50 dollars less! I still need to get a wheel for them though..
alistair

Post by alistair »

i'm 6'5 and i just have stock forks(heavier springs) with fat bar adapters and fatbars,other wise stock. i got size 16 and i don't seem to miss shifts so the gear leaver mod isn't a nesecity
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
bhorocks

Post by bhorocks »

ok i bought the kdx forks on ebay iwth the buy it now option. hopefully finding a tire wont be to hard.. I can use my existing caliper correct?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Correct.... Considering your KDX is newer than 94.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I can't imagine being 6'5" on a KDX, I have some problems and I'm barely 6'1"!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:I can't imagine being 6'5" on a KDX, I have some problems and I'm barely 6'1"!
It ain't pretty thats for sure... :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

>|<>QBB<
alistair wrote: i got size 16 and i don't seem to miss shifts so the gear leaver mod isn't a nesecity
How do you even fit those clogs between the peg and shifter ?? :shock: :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was a necessity.... Hence the BOLD, underlined italics. :mrgreen:

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote: Extended by 10mm and reshaped gear lever (helps shifting with size 14 feet, thats if you have the same problem with mis-shifting like myself)

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Size 16! I can't believe you aren't having trouble docking those boats under a normal shifter!
bhorocks

Post by bhorocks »

im 6'4 aint no slice of cheese either.. i ordered the moose flex cr bars and thier adapters was reading a post that it raised his bar height quite a bit. looking for ward to that more than the forks! then rb carb seeing how my bike needs rejetting i bought it in colorado i live in phoenix about 3000 feet elevation difference..
alistair

Post by alistair »

i have raised the shifter up one notch on the spline, i guess ive just learned to live with it, :supz:
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

MaD_SheF

Post by MaD_SheF »

wow i guess im lucky then as im only 5'10''
"I didnt quit riding becuase I got old, I got old becuase I quit riding." Best quote I have ever heard haha.
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:I can't imagine being 6'5" on a KDX, I have some problems and I'm barely 6'1"!
It ain't pretty thats for sure... :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

>|<>QBB<
alistair wrote: i got size 16 and i don't seem to miss shifts so the gear leaver mod isn't a nesecity
How do you even fit those clogs between the peg and shifter ?? :shock: :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was a necessity.... Hence the BOLD, underlined italics. :mrgreen:

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote: Extended by 10mm and reshaped gear lever (helps shifting with size 14 feet, thats if you have the same problem with mis-shifting like myself)
Wow, I had no idea I had so many fellow yeti KDX rider, I'm standing a good 6'6" with size 14's (only 19, I really don't think I'm quite done) and I don't really feel to cramped on the kdx. That might just be because I've never been on a bigger bike so I figure it's as good as it's gonna get. As far as the mods, everything is still stock on mine but now that you guys mentioned it taller handlebars would be nice. I've figured out my next mod.
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
alistair

Post by alistair »

hey im only 15...
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
alistair wrote:hey im only 15...
pshh kids these days...
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

So you went from 14 to 15 overnight ?? :rolleyes: Happy Birthday... :lol:

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
parker72001 wrote: I don't really feel to cramped on the kdx.
Just curious, when you are standing how do you grip the bike with your knees ?? Mine miss the seat and I have a tall seat foam installed. It makes it almost impossible to move the bike around with body language. I am looking into lowering the pegs as much as I can very soon.