USFS-Approved S/A Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

USFS-Approved S/A Question

Post by Jeb »

My son and I are prepping to ride some public trails. I already have a forest-approved S/A but need the same for my boy's RM65. I didn't want to buy a spark arrestor yet because I believe you have to get both pipe & S/A on these smaller bikes (no "mix & match" with stock like on our KDXs) and I want to wait to get the SST and the "Q" S/A (big $$ all together) . . .

I've learned that Cobra makes a "Sparky" that you fit on the end of the stock silencer that's USFS approved - it's about $70. That's not too bad, but I'd rather go even cheaper if there is a legal way . . .

I've seen S/A screens you can add to 4-stroke mufflers but not 2-stroke. Do they make such a thing? Can I just make a spark arrestor screen and put it in the stock RM65 silencer and be "legal"? BTW, the stock silencer isn't loud, just not USFS-approved

Any feedback would be appreciated!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Jeb-
The FMF Turbine core will fit right on the stock pipe, no worries.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KX65

Post by Mark W »

I bought an FMF spark arestor for my son's KX65 and it fit right in place. No need to buy the pipe and muffler.

Mark W
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

That's good news . . . thanks

the FMF website AND their catalog both state that one or the other can't be used, it takes both. See link below for the silencer, same thing if you look at the pipes. And only for certain bikes is this an issue . . .

http://fmfracing.com/products/catalog.a ... egoryID=72

Those FMF marketing a$$h0les!! :evil:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

I'm not buying it

Post by Mark W »

I bought the turbine core for my sons 2004 KX65 (same thing as the RM65, different color plastic) and I only bought the silencer. It fit like a dream and works well. Repacked it a couple of times and it still fits and works well.

When FMF sold me mine, the site never said it had to be used with their pipe. I wonder what changed other than their desire for more of your hard earned bucks.

Find a return friendly site and buy onoe. If it fits, you're golden, if not, return it with nothing lost.

Mark W