How many miles do you get out of a pair of tires??

Got questions? We got answers....
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

How many miles do you get out of a pair of tires??

Post by Green Hornet »

I get around 100miles, before I have DOT TYPE Tires
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

100 miles? What the heck are you riding my man? I'm not sure but I'd guess about 500ish.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

We were getting crap at the Six Days Qualifier in Colorado last weekend that us Arizonans change tires more often than anybody else, I've got friend that'll destroy a tire in a single 60 mile race, I don't twist the throttle enough to do that. I can usually put about 200 miles on a tire before I replace it.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

What kind of tires you guys running?

Here's a recent pic showing how a Pirelli MT16 is holding up under a variety of terrain: Kentucky woodlands (lots of rocks and roots), some hardpack. While I spend a bunch of time noodling through some tight stuff, I love to keep it in the pipe when I can (I LOVE a 2-stroke). I'd hazard a guess at 300 miles, probably more . . . very slight rounding of the leading edges of some of the knobs, a small chunk missing here and there. I'm impressed. The pattern on this tire will allow me to "flip" it so I'm looking at doing it soon. Performance is still great. The Michelin M12 up front is newer (100-150 miles) and in grand shape. I am very happy with it as well.

"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Jeb you just LOVE to put a picture of your shiny kdx up, don't you? I guess you are like me, I like to get a little life out of my tires. D952 is holding up decently still. not a bad tire, but I'm going back to the 756's.

BTW - 100 miles to a tire would mean you need a new tire before you put two tanks of gas through the thing! Better have a deep pocket!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote: . . . 100 miles to a tire would mean you need a new tire before you put two tanks of gas through the thing! Better have a deep pocket!
That would mean you would go through tires quicker than you would a quart of premix oil !! :shock: :shock:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

RE: kdx picture - BUSTED!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

First, Jeb, that's a very pretty KDX. I don't suspect it gets ridden more than twice a year. :lol:

As for me... here in central Arizona (Phoenix), we have rocks, rocks, and decomposed granite. We pray for roots and mud. Rarely see 'em.

I have been changing tires about three times a year in the back, and twice a year in the front. I should probably do it a bit more often, but I don't. I wear mine (Maxxis) down to nearly the very bottome of the last wear groove. That's about a quarter-inch of tread remaining. :rolleyes:

I calculate doing one 30-mile, rocky trail ride once a week for four months = 480 miles.

If I begin racing regularly, I might change it once every three months.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
AZRickD wrote:First, Jeb, that's a very pretty KDX. I don't suspect it gets ridden more than twice a year . . .
Who said a broke-****-looking bike had anything to do with how much riding someone does? :lol:

CLICK FOR PICS!
alistair

Post by alistair »

we just replaced the stock rear tyres on our bikes,and ive done 876miles and dads done 850miles,thats according to the odometer on the front wheel... :grin:
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

My front wheel is often off the ground, so my mileage estimates might be inaccurate.

Rick
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

When Rick says that his front tire is off the ground he doesn't say this because his KDX is so powerful, it's because it's bottoms up laying on top of him! :lol:
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

well im not quite sure how many miles, but im guessing the stock tire has lasted about 800-900 miles, seeing as this past weekend (one of few 3-dayers) i went about 180 miles on a mix of hard packed dirt, rocks, roots, and a little bit of wet slick dirt, and hardly any more wear and tear done to it.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Quoted For Truth.

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:When Rick says that his front tire is off the ground he doesn't say this because his KDX is so powerful, it's because it's bottoms up laying on top of him! :lol:
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I would guess 500-800 miles for a set of tires. Not any mud but rocks, rutts, some decomposed granite, but a very steady throttle hand - old and slow I guess. I generally run them down to about 30% - 40% of the original tread - well the none trials type tires anyway.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

FWIW, I don't have a steady throttle hand. My rear wheel is under torture when I fire it up.

Rick