Time for a newer KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
Cytoviper

Time for a newer KDX

Post by Cytoviper »

Hi all,

I have an antique by most standards 1981 KDX 175 that still runs good still very ridable for the type of trail/logging road rinding I do. I am the original owner and am having thoughts about upgrading to a newer bike. It has become increasingly difficult to find parts so who knows how long its gonna last.

So who has a quick and dirty list of things to look for or that I should avoid when buying another bike. I am looking for something around 2000 or newer but not wanting to break the bank for a few weekends of fun. I am 42 years old and 200 lbs and I am not looking to go racing.

My basic questions:

KDX 200 vs KDX 220 pros and cons?
Which years had the most problems?
What modfications are worth the money?
What ever else you can think of......
1982 KDX 175
1988 ZX6 Ninja 600
2006 Harley Night Rod VRSCD 1130
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

220 has the greande stock piston, needs to be replaced if still stock
I think 95 up to 06 are basically the same and are pretty damn reliable
As mod goes, you'll have to upgrade the suspension, especially the front, I would convert to USD. (don't bother with stiffer springs, waste of time and money IMHO)
Aftermarket pipe
A front tire (anything different than the stock)
Jet your bike properly
RB mod (can't really tell myself since I'm waiting for mine... :supz: )
Pipe guard and such

Good luck
wilf
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

The KDX220 has a faulty piston, so keep that in mind if you look at a 200 with a stock one, most replace it to avoid damage.
200:
* Good stock piston, overall more balanced machine stock, better for the casual weekend rider.
*Potentially easier to race with, you can race the 200 calss, whereas with the 220, you might be up against the 250's.

220: Responds better to modifications - RB carb & head, and will absolutely open up on the top end of things, which it is lacking, with a rev pipe.

Also, think about buying an "E" series 200, 1989-1994, parts are still availble worlds better than your current ride, and is not that much different than the "H"series bikes. Cheaper price too.

Also, keep in mind that 1995-2006 KDX 200's are comletely identical, as are 1997-2005 220's. Do some searches on here, your questions are somewhat general.

* One more thing, you don't have to break the bank, Wibby bought his '92 200 for $900. Here is a look at his bike profile -

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1177
reddirtjoe

Post by reddirtjoe »

If the old one has been working good for you a newer one should be even better, even if not "modded" IMHO.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

The 220 is AWESOME on the trails. A well-modified 220 is AWESOME about anywhere!

I have never ridden an RB-modified 200 for comparative purposes, but I can state for the record that a 220 that's well-modified is a very strong-pulling bike. It pulls from off idle all the way until it signs off, and with a rev pipe the sign-off RPM is noticeably higher . . .

BTW - the 220 is often noted to have lots of power at low RPMs, which it does, but that it falls flat at the higher end of things. I will tell you that my 220 is still pulling when I get her screaming pretty good.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Cytoviper

Post by Cytoviper »

Hey all,

Thanks for such quick responses never doubt the power of the Internet :grin:

Ok been searching around a bit....... and have I got a deal for you?

located an imaculate (nearly new) 2000 KDX 220 w/aftermarket pipe and inverted KX forks already installed...... no other mods. By looking at the paint/chassis near the foot pegs bike has hardley been ridden, virtually no missing paint or scratches, seems almost too clean to be honest.

Dealer claims it belonged to the dealership acountant.... well maintained and barely ridden.

So what do you want for it?.............$3599 they say front end is worth $1500...........best deal I could negotiate was $2750 + tax + dlr prep= $3200....... NADA book value is $1500 for what thats worth.

Well would you take the deal or look around ????

DEAL or NO DEAL ?

Thanks for your input........
1982 KDX 175
1988 ZX6 Ninja 600
2006 Harley Night Rod VRSCD 1130
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

$3200.00 for an '00 is a little out of line. Then again if someone is willing to pay that, it's worth that. Somewhere around $2000 to $2500 OTD would be a much more realistic "value" with what you have stated as condition and being sold by a dealer.

Maybe if you bought the parts from the dealer and had them install it, the front end may "cost" $1500. But, it's not "worth" that much. :roll:
Last edited by quailchaser on 01:16 am May 27 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

howie mendell would definitely say that 1500$ for a front end is NOT a deal. BUT... 3200 for a low-hour (supposedly), kx-forked and piped kdx, might not be a bad deal for you. Ask for a test ride, then you'll automatically buy it!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

funny Cyto, I had the same bike when I got back into riding a few years ago. I was up against the same thing, tough to find some parts, l never liked the brakes on it, the rear suspension maintenance was a PITA. I still thought I wanted to putt around slowly on a reliable bike, so I got an '04 220 brandy new. In hindsight I think that was a mistake. Not so much the bike, but buying it new. I've done pretty much all the mods you read about here, and like it a good bit more now, but I could have bought a good used one for less than half the price. The things havent changed since the first run except for a fix to some bad fuel tanks.

If you really think you want to stick with the KDX, I would say get a nice used one from a private party so you don't pay the dealer an extra grand. then pick up the USD forks off ebay for less than $400 for everything. they really are so much better there's no reason to screw with the stockers. If you think there's a chance you might want to go a little faster though, It might be better for you to pick up a used 250 MXer and mod that for trails. In my opinion, you end up with a better balanced bike at probably a cheaper overall price. I really like the Yamaha aluminum framed 2 strokes.

Where in CO are you? And where do you like to ride?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I bought my low-time 2001 220 for 2400 including DMV fees. By the time I was done I have about 4200 in it ( and don't regret it at all). If this bike is truly low-time with a dialed-in USD front end, I think it is a reasonable buy - .
Generally, front end USD parts will run nearly 500 (no installation labor, hassle, or dial-in cost), and the pipe is 200, so the price isn't that far off IMO.

As far as I'm concerned blue book doesn't mean squat with kdx's, it is bike wear/condition that determines what I'd pay - they are all the same past '95.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I have a 2002 220 and love the bike -- bought it in Jan '04 for $2700 with a box of goodies not on the bike like a chest protector, 2 new tires, bike stand, 2 rear fenders, new renthal bars, gripper seat cover, etc. I've ridden several 200s with absolutely no complaints. What pushed me to the 220? It was the cleanest one I found at the time -- and it was about an hour away so I could actually see it and ride it. Had it been a 200, I would have still bought it without hesitation!

The dealers price seems to be a bit steep. Be patient and you'll find a good deal and end up with a nice bike.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
azvforce

Post by azvforce »

That seems like alot to me. I picked up a '99 KDX220 a few weeks ago for $950. I put $500 in it fixing it up cosmetically along with a Rev pipe and silencer. Total investment was $1450 and this thing looks and runs killer.
'99 KDX220
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

This may or may not be the correct place for this but I have to sell my 05' 220. WAIT!!!!!! Before I get completely attacked here I have to say that I can only have one bike and I still bleed green. I want to get the new KLX 450 but need to sell the KDX to justify the $7,300 for the sweet new bike.
I live in Vermont and I see you are in Colorado so it's up to you.
PM if you like. You can check my bikes profile to see the juicy details.
And Yes. The 220 rules! :supz: