Anyone raced/racing the Trinidad Colorado ISDE qualifier?

Got questions? We got answers....
thebleakness

Anyone raced/racing the Trinidad Colorado ISDE qualifier?

Post by thebleakness »

Most of my friends are going this weekend and trying out Colorado, then meandering their way up to Idaho for the next ISDE qualifier in Idaho City. One of them imparticular (those wimmins :wink: ) talked my ear off to try it out, I can't let her show me up can I? :butthead:

http://www.offroadchampions.com/AMA_Qua ... ifier.html

I like the how it says "little rocks", I'm tired of rocks, especially the big ones I've been riding lately. I've heard awesome things about these Qualifiers, especially the Idaho one.

So anyone going to be there spectating/racing or has been? 60miles per day sounds like fun!!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Well I'm going. My bike will be traveling around the western U.S. without me though for a week or so untill my friends come back from Idaho. I found out this afternoon that I have rides both ways, I then quickly ran to the shop to buy my needed prep stuff, then was called into work. :butthead: I'm spending a long night working on that darn bike of mine, all worth it though! Tomorra' at 7:30 sharp I'll be gone until Monday sometime.

Friday Kawasaki and KTM are doing some demo rides. Kawasaki's got their new KLX450 and KX450 as test bikes. I am really looking forward to testing those out, especially that KLX450. :partyman: Supposedly KTMs also got their new 08s out too, on an outdoor MX track! I've never ridden a real track, this should be very cool!

I'm hoping that I can find someone to take some pictures of me through the special X-treme test. Those would be cool :supz:

Ah, I can't wait, I've only been riding 8 months now and this is my 5th race, I love it so much. Too bad I've got to miss the next few local series races... :roll:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You are going to have a great time. Qualifier events are lots of fun due to the timekeeping involved. Riding an event with top level riders is also a treat! Good Luck!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

It was sweet! It rained a downpour the 2 days before the actual racing began which turned everything into slop. The dry creek beds that they described in the race flyer weren't dry but instead filled with flowing water. With me being from Arizona I don't have really any experience riding in water/mud and it was an awesome experience. I lost count of the water crossings we had to make.

Due to the rain the course had to be modified the day before, instead of 35 mile loops they ran us in 20 mile loops. I rode 3 loops saturday and 2 loops sunday, all the other classes rode 1 more loop then us each day. First loop was amazing, traction could not have been better but once I came to start my 2 loop around 400 people had already ridden the course and it was getting beaten in. By the end of the day sunday the course was similar to paving stones and extremely beat to hell. I have never bottomed out my suspension as many times in a single day before. I got some good G-out and square edge practice in just ridding the course as well, my back is paying for it today.

One of the coolest portions was the first special test aka the "Extreme Test". It was a .5 mile long grass flat track test with logs, tires, railroad ties, whoops, jumps and straights. This was the only section I felt really good on both days and ended up with having one of the fastest times out of all the C racers. :supz:

Overall I think I ended up 4th or 5th in 250C. After day 1 I was in 4th place trailing by a minute or two but day 2 was horrible for me. Blisters from day 1 were breaking and my hands hurt, my back was hurting and the hard pack trail was taking a serious toll on my soft terrain front tire. I must have laid the bike down 10 times in day 2 just trying to go around corners. :roll: I enjoyed every minute of it though! :rolleyes:

I'm very glad I went, I had a blast and learned alot. MXphotography was taking pictures and got some good ones of me (including one of me neutral shifting through a corner :butthead: :mrgreen: ) and I'm hoping they upload them online, if not I'll have to scan the print out they gave me! :lol:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Sounds like you had a ball - can't wait to see the pics.

How much do you race?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I think he's only been riding for eight months! Keep it up, I'm going to race later this year!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Yep, bought my trusty KDX in late September but never rode any ST untill mid October and then did my first race in December of last year. This was my 5th race and I race whenever I can. There is a race coming up about 20 miles away from my house the day before my d-day on July 14th in the Cinder Hills OHV area we have here. From what I've heard it's about a 100 mile race and since it's done in the cinder hills it'll be very high speed whoops. I mean whoops for miles and miles, it takes a keen eye and some knowledge to find anything to ride out there that isn't whooped out.

My grandma was talking about helping me buy a KX250 as a graduation gift a few weeks back, she comes tomorrow so I might be racing something more suited to high speed whoops. We shall see...

I encourage everyone to at least try racing at least once, even if you don't enjoy it you'll learn something. I personally have a blast even though I don't do great but I get better results every go around. 2001kdx, go for it! Kick some ass and take some names! :supz: