Sour Grapes and Hard Work, but whose?

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sour Grapes and Hard Work, but whose?

Post by skipro3 »

Has anyone else notice the traffic dropping off on the other site's KDX forum? It seems clear to me that there are many with questions but most of the folks with answers are over here.

I'm including here, some dialoge between the other site's administrator and myself for review:

Skipro3:
What is the policy on links or references to other sites and forums? If someone was to refer a user to visit a different forum for example, would it be edited or deleted?

Admin:
It will be deleted.

Skipro3:
I ask because of this thread:
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showth...ighlight=forums
Where in it you state:
We don't have a problem with members sharing info with members, if it's competitive sites or not... we don't however allow other site owners or folks with some interest in other sites to spam the boards, which is of course a common practice at virtually every forum you come across....
In response to the question:
I am wondering if it would be taboo to ask about accessability to other KDX websites on this site. There is a particular one, run by a member here, that I am having trouble accesing.
I take it you have changed your mind on the subject and now will delete any references to competitive sites?

Admin:
This doesn't apply to a DRN member that creates a site to directly compete with DRN and intends to use our hard work to buiild his traffic.
*end*

I sure hope more folks find this site, woodsrider.net, and can deal directly with KDX owners without an Admin who has less than high regard for it's members choice in motorcycles.

P.S. indawoods: I understand if you need to move or delete this message. I figured that for clients you now have, it would be of interest.
Last edited by skipro3 on 10:18 am Nov 15 2004, edited 1 time in total.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

One more thing: Nice touch but it's spelled megalomaniac.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

skipro3 wrote:One more thing: Nice touch but it's spelled megalomaniac.
DOH!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

Fixed... thanks for the spelling lesson! :) Did you look that up? I mean... how often would that come up in ones lifetime? :roll:

Compete? Am I charging anyone anything or rationing features? Am I giving anyone a hard time? Am I deleting any posts for point of view? Do you see me shoving political garbage down anyones throat? I guess treating people right is competing for business by default since they lack the ability too. This is a KDX only site and they have everything else.... How can I compete? And if I am.... they only have themselves to blame...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Concerning the site in question, remember that it is a for profit venture. Please consider the following possibilities:

If you ever look at the Google ads, they are usually geared toward the subject being discussed. In a recent thread, "fork spring weight", the Google ads I see as I am viewing it right now, are "mountain bike fork", "Steering Damper Kits", "Strutmasters" and "Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts". For those who have noticed the Google ads, it is called Google AdSense. "Google AdSense offers more ways for you to earn money while making your site more useful for visitors... When visitors click on these ads, Google pays you."

The more times a user stays within a site with these and other ads, the more likely they are to click on one of them. This may or may not apply to the many other ads on the pages, but the clickthrough style of adverising is quite common. Would you pay the same amount for advertising on a site if they never sent anyone to your company's web page? Some measure of effectiveness must be used to measure whether the company's advertising dollars are being spent well.

It is my opinion that ANY action that causes ANY user to click away from the website in qustion, without it being ad dollar related, is an act that takes away the potential for said site to potentially earn money. I don't even have to comment on whether this is a good or bad thing. For profit and non-profit sites both have their advantages and disadvantages.

By the way, the person asking the question, in the post in question, was not referring to the woodsrider site.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

All to often all people see is $$$$, I lose money on this site not to mention my time. It is more a labor of love and they say I "want" to build my traffic from their users? Well... yes, yes I do. But not for the same reasons they want to keep them. DRN makes money off of their users, if they click through, subscriptions, sponsors because of the amount of users or whatever. I want to build a true community of KDX riders and not lose that sight for the almighty dollar. I ride KDX's in the woods and that's why the site is named as such. I have nothing against other bikes but I don't ride other bikes.... I ride a KDX. So, you tell me... who is more focused on what we do?

BTW... The AltaVista banner at the bottom is there for language translation only. This again is only for our foreign friends who may have a hard time interpeting English .... Try it out... It kinda cool to see this site in a foreign language! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Indawoods on 10:42 pm Nov 11 2004, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Maybe we need to PM DRN-KDXers asking questions and get them over here...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It's only possible to PM paying subsribers at that site. Registered users who use the site for free can not be PM'ed. Just another reason this site is superior.
BTW Reth, I would be honored to send some bucks your way to keep this site up and to help offset your costs. That keeps you as not making a profit, just covering expenses.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

skipro3 wrote:It's only possible to PM paying subsribers at that site. Registered users who use the site for free can not be PM'ed. Just another reason this site is superior.
BTW Reth, I would be honored to send some bucks your way to keep this site up and to help offset your costs. That keeps you as not making a profit, just covering expenses.
Would you want another site's administrator to PM or e-mail members of this site to try to get them to go to his site? Play fair, win fair.

Slap a PayPal donate button and a little bext of explanatory text down there by the fish. Do me afacor and don't offer any additional benefits to those who contribute, maybe besides a little star by their name or something. Hopefully, we can all be equals.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

JasonWho wrote:Would you want another site's administrator to PM or e-mail members of this site to try to get them to go to his site? Play fair, win fair.

Slap a PayPal donate button and a little bext of explanatory text down there by the fish. Do me afacor and don't offer any additional benefits to those who contribute, maybe besides a little star by their name or something. Hopefully, we can all be equals.
What... did someone tell you something???? :shock: To be honest (and I always try to be) I did PM the guys I respect and want to be on this site. I felt that you and I weren't being treated right and needed a change. A place where everyone is equal including myself. If you guys want to donate using PayPal, you can use my email address to donate, it's located in my profile. I thought the "Fish" was a little ugly but I also thought if you look at it, it is self explanitory, It says "To translate this page, click on a flag" I get nothing for this nor do I pay anything. If it bothers you guys I will ditch it. I just thought it would be nice for foreign people to be able to read our forum too. Besides providing a translation it also allows me to have more server space by not having to install all the language packs to support our foreign counterparts. I doubt that the language packs would be used enough to justify the installation.
Last edited by Indawoods on 06:52 pm Nov 11 2004, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Jason:
Yes, I would like any site information you or others might have that would help me. I go over to the KTM talk site many times. I've seen it mentioned many times on D R N as well as one for KX bikes. I've also seen several mentions of thumpertalk. If D R N allows these other sites to be mentioned and discussed, then it is sour grapes when that Admin deletes posts about woodsrider. Their admin made it clear that any mention of woodsrider would be censored, not just attempts to steal members. Besides, why can't folks be members on both boards? We all certainly are.
Good idea about the contribution button. Kinda like church. Pay as your heart leads you sort of thing.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Reth,
I don't see it in your profile. Something wrong with my P.C.?
I noticed I couldn't see mine either until I flagged the permissions in my profile setup.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

skipro3 wrote:Reth,
I don't see it in your profile. Something wrong with my P.C.?
I noticed I couldn't see mine either until I flagged the permissions in my profile setup.
Sorry... had it turned off. :razz:
Last edited by Indawoods on 11:31 am Nov 13 2004, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

skipro3 wrote: Besides, why can't folks be members on both boards? We all certainly are.
Yup! Even me! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

For what it's worth.... I put the disclaimer below the fish link at the bottom of the page. If you want to read the full disclaimer , you can read it at the bottom of AltaVista's page here: http://www.altavista.com/help/free/free_searchbox

Thanks...... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Indawoods wrote:
Am I charging anyone anything or rationing features? Am I giving anyone a hard time? Am I deleting any posts for point of view? Do you see me shoving political garbage down anyones throat?
You forgot 'Do you see a $10000 kids bike in my garage'..... :butthead: Your doing a good job Inda !!!

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Thanks KDX'r! I like you avatar... KUDOS!!! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

normal PKW would bolt right up would it not???
91 KDX200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Indawoods wrote:Thanks KDX'r! I like you avatar... KUDOS!!! :wink:
Thanks but I saw all of yours, got jealous and decided to show MY ride off...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's even cooler! :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No one's going to get anywhere in any pi$$ing contest.

No, I'm not saying there even IS one.

JustKDX has changed quite a bit over the years. It's not even close to what it used to be, that largely due to the nature/type of the posts and posters. Okie can't do a lot to change that. But there's more to it than that, too.

What I would hope is for this site to be(come) closer to what CDave's DRN forum used to be: An informative site with tons of tips, hints and facts from people that have a pretty good idea what makes a kdx work.

I can do just fine without the pie-throwing, mud-slinging, whining, phallic-troubled know-it-alls.

There are quite a number of reasons I'm interested in giving JustKDX a rest, myself. Some of those reasons are obvious to anyone paying any attention whatsoever, some no one (well, maybe a couple) knows anything about. It's just gotten to be more of an irritation than anything useful. Again, that is largely due to the clientele.....imo.

Hope this site keeps to the technical, informative side of things....keeps the BS down to a minimum.

Shoot! I should'a signed up as 'okiewan'! That could'a been fun!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!