what's wrong with this picture?

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

what's wrong with this picture?

Post by scheckaet »

That's what happen when you don't know what you're doing and it way past bedtime...:doh: :mad: :evil:

Now I have to spend more than 55 bucks :shock: to replace that ridiculous tiny piece :roll:
How the hell do you remove that nut? Can't figure it out and the manual is not that helpfull :?
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. One quick hit with an impact wrench will do the trick. I ussually use a T handle and a quick blow to the appropriate side of the "T" with a heavy brass hammer.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

LEAVE IT AND BUY SOME BEER !!!! :partyman:

Mines been like that for years and nil adverse effects to date. The whole rack etc still operates fine, no ??

Oh and stop your whining hehe, when I discovered mine and tried to order one they wanted $100+au and said I'd have to wait until MaKaw made another batch of them. Minimum 12 week wait. :evil:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

LEAVE IT AND BUY SOME BEER !!!!

Mines been like that for years and nil adverse effects to date. The whole rack etc still operates fine, no ??
Sweet that's what I like to hear, everything else is fine. How do you remove that nut? I get the
Righty tighty, lefty loosey
but don't you have to support the shaft or something cuz I don't see how it won't happen again :? (I removed the allen screw that was holding the shaft to the big valve because I was afraid of breaking sumthin, do you have to leave it on in order to remove that nut???)
Oh and stop your whining hehe, when I discovered mine and tried to order one they wanted $100+au and said I'd have to wait until MaKaw made another batch of them. Minimum 12 week wait.
Isn't "AU" money kind of like MONOPOLY money anyway???? :lol:
Flying W

this should work!

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:Sweet that's what I like to hear, everything else is fine. How do you remove that nut?

don't you have to support the shaft or something cuz I don't see how it won't happen again :? (I removed the allen screw that was holding the shaft to the big valve because I was afraid of breaking sumthin, do you have to leave it on in order to remove that nut???)
I followed the cyclepedia manual and it had me take take the allen head out first, but since the subvalves were still installed with the bolt rod plugs still in place, the subvalves kept the shaft from turning while I torqued the nut.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't think you want to torque against those subvalves.... that could cause further damage... but I guess that would be a judgement call....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Flying W

It requires a gentle touch

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:.... that could cause further damage...
At just over 6 ft-lbs, I can't see that happening.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'but since the subvalves were still installed with the bolt rod plugs still in place, the subvalves kept the shaft from turning..'

It's not the subvalves that keep the actuator rode from turning. It's getting to the end of the teeth of the rod/gear.

Look at the pic. There will be zero force against the subport drum because the rod is going to get jammed up. As I recall, the same is true for both Lefty Luci AND Ridey Tidy.

..can't tell for sure in the pic...but do make sure the alignment marks do line up.

How did the gear get nannywhacked in the first place?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Flying W

getting it all lined up

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Look at the pic. There will be zero force against the subport drum because the rod is going to get jammed up.
Or it could be that I just got lucky, but... I don't think so, the hole shooting match was solid when I broke my nut loose and, as I said before, 6.something ft-lbs to tighten it isn't much (certainly not enough to break one of those teeth).
canyncarvr wrote:
..can't tell for sure in the pic...but do make sure the alignment marks do line up.
I didn't think they looked lined up myself, but could be sure from the pic. It just doesn't make sense to me that the tooth would get broken off from the rod traveling too far. The radius following the broken tooth should have prevented the rotation from continuing CCW.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah!

So...how about a pic that shows the gear mark in the correct tooth...well..gap..just soas to make us feel better??

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Mine was broken off and goooone when I did my top end. It certainly wasn't a new, clean snap indicating to me it was an old break. Still don't know what caused this piston damage, maybe the missing tooth had a gnaw on the piston. :?

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If a tooth of the LH gear could get into the cylinder...you would have FAR bigger problems than the missing tooth!! :wink: Like a gaping hole in something that shouldn't be there!!
..It just doesn't make sense to me that the tooth would get broken off from the rod traveling too far. The radius following the broken tooth should have prevented the rotation from continuing CCW.
Eggsactly.

Who knows. Maybe it was broken from excessive vise pressure used to hold it it place whilst someone wire-brushed on some carbon.

Or...a previous assembly consisted of gear install PRIOR to attempted rod insertion..and THAT persuaded with a bit-o-hammer 'cuz it wouldn't go in!!

Consider the source

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

this is as far as it'll go both ways
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks like she'sa workin!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

...and BINGO was his name-O!!

Whew! I feel SO much bedder!!!

Don't forget the spring/detent ball on the bottom.

I think there is some lubricant called for in there upon reassy......

Consider the source

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

How did the gear get nannywhacked in the first place?
tried to remove the nut, then tried again with more "persuasion", I just wacked the wrench (little tap by hand) and then crack, that awfull noise I was dreadfully trying to avoid... :?
Looks like it's still working though.
I don't think I will try to remove it again .
I pulled up the sub vaI have to re-align the sub-valves though. I assume they are in the close position. The manual is not very clear on that.
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I have to re-align the sub-valves though. I assume they are in the close position. The manual is not very clear on that.
Say the truth brother! :supz:

I sent a request to cyclepedia to see if they could increase the smile factor in that area of the online manual. Hope I get a message soon that says they've added more pics.

I have a pic of the right subvalve (through the exhaust port so it's on the left of the pic). It is in the position it should be when all the marks lined up with all the dimples on the teeth if you want a gander. It's in a recent thread...maybe search for posts made by me to find it.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Step away from the vehicle!!

Really...look at the bigger picture and don't confuse the issue with details.

You know what the end result is supposed to be..so make it so, regardless of looking for this and that mark.

Your last pic shows the KIPS (assumed if you didn't take it all apart..not only the LH rod and gear) in the 'closed' (at rest, normal, not high RPM) position. That's the orientation of all the marks ..KIPS closed.

In the 'closed' position, the main valve is lowered and both subvalves are blocking the passage from the cylinder to the port. The subvalves are mirror images of each other, but they are oriented alike...like ONE valve would look like when held up to a mirror. If one subvalve is 'more' closed than the other at rest, something is not right. The flat face of each subvalve will be facing the same direction (forward) when the KIPS is closed.

Too many words get in the way....if you know the basics of how it works, just look at a close/open action to ensure it works that way.

..and you're done!

Probably a good idea to check the marks anyway. They'll all be there!!

Consider the source

Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|QBB<[/url]
canyncarvr wrote: The flat face of each subvalve will be facing the same direction (forward) when the KIPS is closed.
Here's a shot of the flat face pointed forward:
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I use a pair of channel locks with a shop rag wraped around the
RH gear on the center shaft (to protect it from breaking teeth) to hold the shaft while I loosen the nut on the left side of the shaft.