bike not moving...?

Got questions? We got answers....
crazyaboutriding

bike not moving...?

Post by crazyaboutriding »

to make a long story short, saturday went out for a ride. got the bike runing, went fine for about 20 minutes, and then it started to act up. i would be going through the gears, but it is like the clutch is not fully disengaging. i would let it sit for 5 minutes, then it would go another 100 ft. and start acting up again, until where even after overnight it would not move still. it was acting like in neautral. anyone have any ideas? we ordered a new cluch this morning, just checking in to see if anyone knows of other things that could have happened. thanks.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

it's possible to spin the countershaft sprocket on the shaft. I hope it's your clutch!

oh, and you didn't happen to put friction modifier oil did you?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: bike not moving...?

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
crazyaboutriding wrote:overnight it would not move still. it was acting like in neautral.
Whaaaaaat?
crazyaboutriding

>|<[url=http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 2235#42235]>QBB<[/url][quote="Colorado Mike"]it's possible to spin the countershaft sprocket on the shaft. I hope it's your clutch!

oh, and you didn't happen to put friction modifier oil did you?[/quote]

nope, just normal amsoil 10w-30.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
crazyaboutriding

Re: bike not moving...?

>|<[url=http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 2254#42254]>QBB<[/url][quote="2001kdx"]>|<[url=http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 2232#42232]>QBB<[/url][quote="crazyaboutriding"]overnight it would not move still. it was acting like in neautral.[/quote]

Whaaaaaat?[/quote]

sorry, what i meant to say was it was still not engaging when it was in gear/getting compression (felt like cluch was in still).
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Inda...does 'normal' Amsoil 10-30 have friction modifiers in it?

From the Amsoil site:

Improve Fuel Economy
AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are fuel efficient oils formulated with friction modifiers to reduce energy loss from friction. They provide better fuel economy compared to conventional, non fuel-efficient motor oils.

So..'normal' Amsoil is WHAT?

It's like saying you ate a 'normal' sandwich. What the heck is that?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oils contain no friction modifiers.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Who said 'AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oils...'???? :hmm:

And...what is the advertised/listed weight of that MCF product? 10w-30? :hmm:

Not that I can tell. :hmm:

We're back to 'normal'..... :hmm:

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Get the right product for the job and all is well! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes. I'm sure that is so.

I'm not ragging on Amsoil.

All is NOT well, 'eh? And that is the point.

'Normal' means nada. Amsoil's MCF product is not formulated in a 10W-30 viscosity that I see on their website.

There IS a 10-30 synthetic that is NOT their MCF product..and it DOES have friction modifiers...and the clutch does NOT work!!!

Sounds normal to me.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Premium Protection Motor Oil (AMO)

Exceeds the Requirements of Wet Clutch Transmissions
AMSOIL Premium Protection Synthetic Motor Oil contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for motorcycles, maintenance equipment and other wet clutch transmission applications. Formulated to prevent clutch glazing and slippage, it insures smooth clutch engagement and long term, dependable transmission operation. AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motor Oil reduces clutch wear for extended transmission life.

Happy? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:There IS a 10-30 synthetic that is NOT their MCF product..and it DOES have friction modifiers...and the clutch does NOT work!!!

Sounds normal to me.
How could they do that? Make a product for something else and sell it? :?

Amsoil does NOT make a normal (car formulated) synthetic 10W-30 product without friction modifiers.... sounds like the issue to me.... :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

crazyaboutriding

ok, ok, lets not start fighting like children, we all ride KDX's here dont we? :grin: :razz:

sorry its taken me a while to chime back in. it turns out nothing was wrong... the four bolts that hold the clutch springs had somehow found their way loose and that is what had caused the problem. ahh well... at least i was able to get my dad to buy me a new clutch :mrgreen: . i decided to put it in anyways and kept the old one for a spare.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

..there is still no 'normal' Amsoil oil... :harrumph: ...and no one was fighting about anything.

The point is: Words mean things. You cannot effectively communicate a mechanical situation using words that have no meaning.

The fact that the bolts were loose may make one think they need to be tight. That would be wrong.

If you don't have the torque spec, ask. I don't recall the number off-hand..but it's not much! It's along the line of 6ft/lbs. Make sure the clutch springs are NOT caught off-center on the pedestal. It can happen..and that will give you both false torque readings AND a clutch that doesn't work.

Remember!: There are TWO washers in the assembly that commonly get lost. One is BETWEEN the clutch pak and the basket. The other is BEHIND the basket!! Take note of both!

With a new clutch pak, you may have to adjust the clearance at the activating lever by removing a shim on top of the TO bearing. Know how to determine if you need that shim or not. If you don't know, ask.

Pay attention to the large circumference spring/seat pieces that are on the outside of the last friction plate. They go back together (correctly) one way. If you don't know, ask.

As long as you are putting in a new clutch (well...whenever you do), file the basket fingers while you're at it.

What? What comes next????

If you don't know....ask!

:wink:

Consider the source

crazyaboutriding

sorry.

when i said loose, i want specific. they were a good 2 rotations from snug, finger loose. yes you were right, they are supposed to be 72 inch pounds as the manual says, or 6 ft. lbs.

oh and dont worry, i got it put back together. i used the manual with all torques done with a torque wrench, and my dad has been working on bikes for a while. we got things figured out :rolleyes: .

oh and yes, we did soak the clutch plates for 3 hours. thanks for the help.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Mr. Crazy sounds like a smart young man. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Believe it or not, some folks don't soak the plates at all!! Fer the love of mike...can you BELIEVE it!!??

Re: 'The fact that the bolts were loose may make one think they need to be tight. That would be wrong.'

I meant on reassy. 'They came loose, so I'll really tighten them THIS time!!'

THAT was the 'wrong' (sorry..can't begin to say that like the venerable Mr. Bird, that old loveable KKK US Senator..) part.

File the basket?

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: . . . THAT was the 'wrong' (sorry..can't begin to say that like the venerable Mr. Bird, that old loveable KKK US Senator..) part . . .
So you like Sen. Bird, do ya? Recall that I'm from W Va so I'm likely to take interest that someone from way over yonder in Oregon would take note of the guy . . . you DO keep your eyes open, Mr. Carvr . . .

sorry for the hijack, couldn't resist!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
crazyaboutriding

>|<[url=http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 2455#42455]>QBB<[/url][quote="canyncarvr"]
File the basket?[/quote]

yep :grin:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote: So you like Sen. Bird, do ya?
Well, not in any good way, sorry. He is such a lunatic!! Good grief...listening to the guy mumble around, slur his words and generally sound like he's at death's door (gee...'ya think?) when he goes on one'a his preachin' sprees would be hilariious....if I didn't know what he was.

He should've been retired by the voters of VA. years ago! Hand him his sheet and say, 'What's your hurry?'

Loony Toons!

Consider the source