cylinder and piston question

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

cylinder and piston question

Post by scheckaet »

I already posted on the RB section so sorry for the repeat, but this is more of a general topic than just RB topic.

Decided it was time to experience the RB mods, I can't wait!!!
Questions
My 200 is an 2005 model and I have about 3500 miles on it.
The cylinder looks good, BUT one area doesn't fell smooth, it looks like 2 scratches :? I'll try to take some pics.
I guess I'll have to take the cylinder off and inspect everything :roll:

Here is a pic of the piston, there is a bit of carbon deposit but I don't think it's too bad, I manage to remove most of it.

I noticed the piston can rotate a bit, maybe less than 1 degre; is this normal?
This is the 1st time I pulled the head off, so don't really know what to expect.
Since the head is off, should I replace the piston and / or ring?
Do you have to replace the head gasket everytime you remove the head?
Anything else I should check while it's all torn down?

Thank you all

wilf

Here are some more
>|QBB|QBB|QBB<[/url]
scheckaet wrote:Yeah Jeb I have the manual and will check things out tonight.
I wasn't gonna remove the cylinder but my curiosity took over and that scratch worried me, so wanted to check everything out since it's all torn down. As for the thorough cleaning I second that, I thought I cleaned everything pretty good but there's always some dust coming out of nowhere :?
The scratch is not very deep, you can see it and feel it, maybe 1/5 of a millimeter?

And yep I am like a kid before xmas, can't wait for Ron's goodies :supz:
Thanks for the feed back.
j753301

Post by j753301 »

if you can feel it its time for a replate! you will lose compression if you dont
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... you are getting some blowby.... Personally... I think the plate looks pretty good... Probably Scotch Brite the cylinder and get a set of rings and ride til winter and take her down again and see where it's at. It's summer.... so RIDE! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Flying W

Re: cylinder and piston question

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:Since the head is off, should I replace the piston and / or ring?
Do you have to replace the head gasket every time you remove the head?
Aside from any decisions about your cylinder, I would replace the rings every time I remove the cylinder. I would also replace the piston if it is the stocker (and your bike is a 220...I cannot remember which it is).

I would not replace the head gasket if it is in great condition. Just my opinion though.

Good luck! :supz:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

It doesn't look like I will get the rings in time before the long week end :cry: .
I really really NEED to ride though, (my sanity demands it) so my question 1 is: is it ok to put everything back together with the old ring (along with the RB goodies, and new gasket) or is it a REALLY bad idea?
(I would replace everything when I get it.)

Question 2: I used scotch brite on the cylinder but I can't really see any pattern, is this expected?
Thx
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think it would be a shame to put it back without at least new rings. It does look like you've got a little blow by. I don't see any other big problems. If you got to ride, put it back together!

(I like to get most of what I think I'll need BEFORE pulling a motor apart. I don't believe I have ever gotten all of it, but usually a good chunk)
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I think it would be a shame to put it back without at least new rings. It does look like you've got a little blow by. I don't see any other big problems. If you got to ride, put it back together!

(I like to get most of what I think I'll need BEFORE pulling a motor apart. I don't believe I have ever gotten all of it, but usually a good chunk)
yeah I know, I wasn't planning on taking the cylinder out or replacing the rings so I'm learning as I go. :supz: